1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gear Insurance Advice

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ints, Aug 12, 2013.

1. ints

ints Member

Have you insured your gear? and what are your terms and who you're with? I'm looking into insuring mine.

2. luke o

luke o Member

Casual or Pro? If you have some decent gear but do not have an ABN/Company where you claim your gear as a tax deduction then I think the most common arrangement is to simply add it to your pre-existing home and contents insurance? You can update your policy with a specific clause regarding DSLR gear and an agreed upon value. The higher the value the more your premium goes up obviously.

3. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I'm curious about this, too. Also curious about accidental damage or theft outside of the home or abroad etc.

4. luke o

luke o Member

When I've traveled overseas I always ask about DSLR cover with my travel insurance, most decent companies offer a few $k covered by default (~2 to 5k) and most have the option to pay for more cover.

5. Pixley

Pixley Member

As I make "some" money from my photography I was told by my Insurance Company that under no circumstance would they insure my gear. So I have a policy through "Covertec".

6. berek

berek Member

You can add it to all contents insurance as listed extras. This will cover it outside the home for theft and accidental damage. Had to claim a dameged d700 once. Suncorp, aami and apia. Aami had the claim.

7. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

I don't think your Zenit would be worth the $30 a year extra.

Plenty more AK47s to melt down.

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

PPIB

It works out to be $30 - $35/$1000 of coverage.

This is local+international.

So yeah bit over $700 for me for $23k.

9. 13atman

13atman Member

Just looked up a quote there and it worked out to ~ $350 for 11k worth of gear.. what's the whole stance of pro vs casual? 99% of my stuff is casual, I do it for my own enjoyment..but once in a blue moon I do paid work - clients events, product photography etc.

10. Deftone2k

Got an ABN? :)

Up to you to define that I guess.. and how much it is worth to you.

I have to up mine this year, I also like knowing I can shoot the way I need to shoot and just get gear replaced/repaired if shit happens.

Also keep in mind you have to insure for replacement value.

11. bachamp

bachamp Member

AON - Photographers Insurance

Its $600 for $18500 worldwide insurance.

Just made a claim a couple of weeks ago. I was caught out in a storm and my camera (5D II and 70-200 f4 IS) was soaked and stopped working. I had to get a repair quote to see if repair or replace was more cost effective. The repair was $1600 and the replace was $4400.

Repair was the obvious option from a cost point of view, but I express my concern with corrosion. The agreed and they decided to replace it. Pretty good I thought but it gets better. They asked if I wanted them to supply the gear from Michaels or did I just want the money. I am in Canada at the moment and asked to be paid into my Australian account, and that was it. I didn't even need to show receipts and when I expressed I can get it cheaper in Canada they said "thats fine matter we pay you the same amount regardless". Walked down to the shops and picked up a 5D III and lens for less that the claimed amount!

Very fast, took a couple of days for the repair quote but after that it was done.

12. OP
    OP
    ints

ints Member

I do it as a second job (see sig) so semi pro i guess. Got ABN, there's about 6-7 grand of gear (not just the Zenit).

I want to be covered for literally everything, including me dropping the lens, theft, fire etc. It has to be covered outside house too as I mainly work outdoors.

So you reckon contents insurance would cover all that?

13. Nafe

Nafe Member

Check with your insurer. Most won't cover if the equipment is being used for "professional" purposes.... i.e. you're working with it, regardless of whether it's a fulltime thing or not.

Most important is to check with your current insurer as to what they will and won't cover. I use AON and have done for years, had several claims over the years and like Bachamp experienced, it was straightforward and painless. My premium actually went DOWN this year (Insured value of $44k)

14. scottath

scottath Member

I rang PPIB and spoke with them - in a similar circumstance, would make at most $2k or so from 'work' each year - but they said as its used at all as an income source to go with their pro insurance cover (vs the amateur their sister company offers). I think mine was $390ish for $11.5k
    Sister site if you want a look: http://www.cameraclubinsurance.com.au/
    Was about $60 difference and the cover was similar except for the hiring of equipment whilst getting gear replaced iirc.

15. OP
    OP
    ints

ints Member

Got a quote from AON for $309 for $7K. And they offered $329 for public liability for $5m, which I'll think about...

Any of you guys taken up Public Liability cover?

16. Nafe

Nafe Member

I took out AON's PL cover as well.

17. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I'm paying $500/year for $6k portable electrics and 14k home with NRMA. Portable electrics covers what's in my bag for theft and damage. I wanted them to clarify what happens if I get stuck out in a freak storm and they couldn't give me an answer so I'm looking to switch out soon considering some of these options seem a bit better value for money.

Best thing about it is that its aus wide and they will cover up to 10k internationally, which is how I justified it. I don't think other home and contents insurers are that flexible.

18. 13atman

13atman Member

Doesnt ppib cover that?

*Edit*

What they do cover standard:

The policy offers;

Accidental loss or Damage cover
    Theft cover
    Hire cover following a claim
    Worldwide cover
    All equipment covered including computers and studio
    Competitive rates
    Monthly payment option

Liability is extra it looks like..damn.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  19. Deftone2k

Public Liability is not included in gear insurance. They are different things (as in Personal Indemnity Insurance)

I have PL through a broker.

Its $475.00 for 20million.

PM me if you want a contact.

20. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

I have combined PLI and gear with AAMI. Think it was around $600 from memory with $15000 gear cover. Had to make a claim earlier this year and it was painless.