GearBest Contest #1: Win a Mini TV Box!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Agg, Aug 7, 2015.

1. voltare1

voltare1 Member

- Android makes it easy, with full support for mouse and keyboard, navigation options are huge (would make a sweet Netflix, I've, sms catchup device with radio streaming.)

-Never herd of gearbest before now, though the windows stick pc looks maad!

2. asho444

asho444 Member

1. My wife is at home pregnant and on bed rest and our bedroom "streamer" is an old xbox 360 with a wireless G connection :/ as you could imagine i get hassled for the constant dropouts when coming home! so this mini TV Box would be an awesome netflix device as well as a great for streaming from my NAS! [EDIT] the 22nd is also my birthday ;)

2. Website looks great, reminds me alot of amazon so its easy to navigate.
    Great range of devices and media for a great price. (great Ebay alternative)
    like the big pictures with lots of information tho my scrolling was a little choppy and frustrating. also nice warranty and return policy

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. Raolin

Raolin Member

1. I need this mini TV box because I've had enough of trying to cobble together a HTPC solution from recycled parts of dubious condition only to have it crash in a heap days/weeks later. I need something that I can just plug in and have work. Scratch that, my wife needs something that will just work without me spending an hour or 2 trying to get the thing to run properly.

2. TBH, I didn't have an impression of them til I saw this competition. I'm generally fairly dubious of random sites offering cheap tech. After browsing the site for a while, I have to say I'm impressed - site is well laid out & easy to navigate. Shipping & warranty information is easy to find. And being an OCAU sponsor is also a big tick in the confidence bank.

4. guyv3r

guyv3r Member

1. I need this Android TV box because my HTPC (HP Microserver) is beginning to struggle with 1080P/HEVC video content. GPU acceleration in VLC/MC just isn't up to scratch.

2. GearBest seem to offer some very competitive pricing, but from people's feedback it sounds like shipping can take upwards of a month. Faster shipping would definitely make GearBest a more favoured option

5. Zee

Zee Member

1. Because I am not ever likely to pay for yet another gadget, so I NEED to win it for free!

2. This is the first I have heard of GearBest, and as such, will investigate further.

Z...

6. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

1. ATV1 died quite some time ago. plugging laptop in whenever I want to watch media isn't ideal with a 1m hdmi, my TV is not smart at all infact only 2 hdmi is as smart as it gets.

2. Design - I would reduce the "what others are viewing numbers" 3 lines are too much.
    middle container I would make larger and the right column switching time longer.
    content and shop wise I can see myself spending hard earned dollars there

7. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

1: My WDTV bites the big one.

2: They have some good reviews by members from this forum. Might have to give them a go myself!

8. salem_christ

salem_christ Member

1. Open source is great! Android, Kodi, all great tools for showing off what a non-windows world can look like (even though I suspect there'll be a bunch of closed-source gunk in there too.....but let's not worry about that for now).

2. Slow. Terribly slow. I bought a VR headset a month ago, and it only got shipped yesterday. Note: That's not "it only arrived yesterday", it only shipped yesterday. Now I have at least another month of wait for the slow shipping to get it to me. It only got marked as shipped about 2 minutes after I requested a free upgrade to express shipping for them having sat on it for so long in 'processing' with no contact from them at all. As soon as it got marked shipped, the apologetically replied to my request for express shipping saying they couldn't do it as it had already been shipped. Very dodgy. But their prices and range are pretty amazing.

You wanted honesty, right?

9. Greenman

Greenman Member

1. My Chromecast is a cool toy, but very limited, particularly for accessing local network content (Plex is a pain).

2. I Don't know much about GearBest, but I always have time for an OCAU sponsor, so I'll be taking a look more often. Looks good, I'm always a sucker for periodic deals and group buys, which it's nice to see there. [edit] Actually, some of those deals look great. The water testing pen might have to go in my camping gear for a start, next to my UV sterilizer.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  10. martykins

martykins Member

1. Cause i need to upgrade my WD Tv as it is a massive PoS constantly needing to be power cycled and factory reset its doing my head in.

2. Only heard of GearBest though this. However now i know of it could see myself using it for some of the gadgets.

11. retz.x

retz.x Member

1. To replace my slow RPi
    2. Needs to be a more curated experience. Instead of a million slightly different versions of some cheap piece of crap, concentrate on finding and supplying only the best pieces of crap. One of the best parts about DX, for example, is being able to find popular, reviewed, tested products among a sea of trash. :thumbup:

12. StevOz

StevOz Member

1. I want this, I use a chromecast now though this is limited to 720p.

2. Just checked the site of late, some really good deals there the Ulefone be touch 2, really has me interested.

13. berk

berk Member

1) XBMC on an xbox isn't really cutting it any more, even with all the processing being handled server (serviio) side.

2) I've heard that due to some weird acquisition policies, gearbest might not always result in a manufactures warranty (this was in regard to ecig/vaping gear) which makes me somewhat wary of dropping any serious amounts of money with them.

14. dre88

dre88 Member

1) I have failed at media sharing at home. This would end my failure!
    2) Gadgets Gadgets Gadgets!!! Love it!

15. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

1. I need it to replace an aging and power hungry PC sitting in the corner.

2. Gearbest honestly appear a bit "cheap". Not necessarily in a bad way though. I've never heard of them before, and first impressions of their website are that it's full of tacky advertising/self-advertising. However, having said that, the prices seem decent, roughly on par to dx.com where I have shopped in the past, with possibly a better range of more quality products? Yet to investigate further.

16. Opus40

Opus40 Member

1. be course i am just 3 Ducks in a man costume
    2. they have a great range have ordered a few things from them before, all arrived and were what i was after.

17. Gooliez

Gooliez Member

1. would like cause i bought a 360 to to stream media to my tv.... useless POS is lucky to run a AVI file.

2. honestly never head of them, decent variety of product. chances are pretty high i'll be buying something off the site soon

18. Jayy

Jayy Member

1. I need this because its a small and mighty media centre for when I'm away at work.

2. Impressions of GearBest- Spot on, quick shipping and a great experience overall.

19. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

1. So I can make my "dumb" TV smarter.

2. A consumer electronics oriented competitor of... umm... a former OCAU sponsor with all the Engrish and "savings" % marketing trimmings attached. At least the descriptions are long enough to get the gist of what is trying to be conveyed. Decent prices - typically close to or cheapest out of your garden variety consumer electronics store based in China.

20. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

The prizes from GearBest have turned up and I'm very happy to announce they sent two of each prize. :) So I'll pick two winners in each contest.