1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Geforce Titan - GK110 will be a consumer part

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Xtreem, Jan 22, 2013.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah I might hold off now, I don't want to buy a ref and sell it $300 cheaper in a few months to buy a Lightning. I will be digging for confirmation of this !!!

:D

2. OP
    OP
    Xtreem

Xtreem Member

You saw Dan K from Asus' response to the "will there be custom PCB designs" question didn't you? He said absolutely not, and said we'd just have to believe him since he couldn't post internal company emails as proof.

They never allowed any for the 690. Ever. I don't see why this card would be any different. I don't see NVIDIA warranting all the failed cards when people turn the vgpu up, nor do the AIC's want to warranty them either or the lightnings and classifieds would have stayed officially unlocked. If you can't turn the vgpu up like the gimped classified and there's no hacking software developed since it was banned by nvidia also (MSI were lucky they got this done early with Unwinder or we'd have been SOL with lightnings too), there is no point to a custom PCB unless you want to hard mod it and void your warranty. You heard all the people without evbot ports saying they'd never have spent the money if they knew it couldnt be over volted. The mod bios did hardly anything and only allowed a small overclock over stock. There was vanilla reference boards out clocking the Classifieds because when they couldnt budgeon their cards with voltage it all came down to the silicon lottery. Once you get up over 1K per card too, the number of people willing to damage their cards slowly with high voltage & hard mod them voiding warranty to get that higher voltage is very few.

The Titan VRM looks to be able to safely supply 350-400w so when we increase the board limit from 265w (which is easy and has been done by myself [modded a mates card] and another guy) it will give it some throttle free headroom allowing a reference board to run up to what seems to be the GPU OC limit without power throttling. For Titans reference is the way to go I reckon unless you're a die hard warranty voiding hard-modding bencher. And this is coming from a 680 Lightning owner.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmm... they listed titan under the 600 series in their driver selector thingy.

4. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

It is 600 series. It's still Kepler isn't it?

5. OP
    OP
    Xtreem

Xtreem Member

Technically.

6. aeon.

aeon. Member

nek minnit ASUS Matrix Titan 12GB

7. StreekG

StreekG Member

LOL.

Nice one :p

8. James086

James086 Member

Yes, definitely. The GPU is GK110.

9. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

and will always be beaten by the GTX690 .. wait for the 7 series folks.

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Which will always be beten by two 680's so .....

Each to his own

:thumbup:

Xtreem - no I havent seen it, I will have a look now.

:thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    Xtreem

Xtreem Member

lol please read reviews, not always beaten. It's application specific as to which one comes out on top.

12. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Did you actually look at the link I posted .. bested over 90% of the time by a GTX690 .. actually closer to 98% having reviewed the figures.

But if you wish to waste your money on an overpriced Nvidia card by all means go for it. This should be priced between a GTX680 and a GTX690.

13. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Tell me how two 690s beat 3 titans? You said always so I am rather curious. 4way sli scaling is far worse than 3way for one...

14. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Or 4 x Titans vs 2 x 690s for that matter... it's a fair comparison right? 4 Keplers vs 4 Keplers? :p

15. OP
    OP
    Xtreem

Xtreem Member

Most of us here I think would prefer a Titan (or 2) over a 690, I mean we could have bought 690's but we didn't. There's games SLI doesn't work so well in and larger res scenarios where Titan's vram pulls it ahead. But in multi card setups 690's get spanked. As sirius said, GPU vs GPU the GK104 falls far short of GK110. 1 Card vs 1 Card is situation dependent as to which wins. There's also the GPU compute side of things where the 690 or more broadly the GK104 get spanked badly.

Anyway, why post that in a Titan thread like you're superior or something? Go enjoy your cards we'll enjoy ours.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  16. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Yes, but your focusing on a price point, which is your biggest mistake.

The 690 may beat it in 98% of the benches, but as others have said a single GPU solution this smashes the 690 (or 680 in that case). And for people wanting to have extreme muti GPU solutions, or a powerful setup without the headaches of multi-gpu drivers, the titan wins HANDS DOWN.

17. r3zn0r

r3zn0r Member

18. James086

James086 Member

19. r3zn0r

r3zn0r Member

somewhere in the review they mention nvidia dont support 4 way SLI but it is possible... (works for 1 or 2 games lol and benching)

20. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

We knew this ages ago! (well at least a week before that review) ;)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_SLI/24.html

So while it's true that one 690 performs around 10-20% better than a single titan (on average), it's the bigger picture that might be important for some. OldnBold take note:

Two 690's perform around exactly the same as two titans, but with the titans you get a decent amount lower noise, lower heat, lower power consumption, as well as less of a need for the games you play to be optimized to make use of more than 2 GPU's, and you also have the ability to expand out to 3 or even 4 cards if you really want to. Bearing in mind that as further driver optimizations come out it will only get better while the 690 probably won't get many more "bigger" performance optimizations - other than for future games.

In my eyes at least, if you know you are only going to want/can only afford the one card - get a 690 (or even dual 670's/680's instead). If there is a chance that you are going to want two cards then get a titan. Or if you just want the best performing single GPU card and you want the absolute least amount of GPU/SLI related issues to deal with, then get a titan.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013