1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. fido666

fido666 Member

Thanks for the input Agg and Brocolli. Yes the Guppies are gutses they gobble up everything you put in. I'm used to just feeding enough for 2 Phantom Tetras so it's a bit tricky for me to judge the correct amount of food to give. I think I may have been overfeeding the guppies so will cut back a bit. I notice they pick around on the bottom a bit too and nibble on the little trailing "vines" (not sure what the correct term is) that come out of my Java Fern.

2. afcca

afcca Member

Does anyone have any experience with HMFs? (Mattenfilters) I seriously suck at maths and can't for the life of me figure out how big I should make this thing..

Without the calculations needed, I was thinking of making a 17CM radius in the corner, and the tank is 66cm high (2'2"). According to what I might or might not of worked out, that should mean a piece of sponge 66x26cm=1762cm2. I was going to put in a 1700L/Hish pump, which should equate to 16cm/min through the sponge which should be more than enough.

I think I have the maths right but I did fail senior maths haha. Link to the formulae

The other concern is the fact I need the sponge to be 66cm high, but most shops do not sell sponge that high without buying a 1mx2m block which is stupidly expensive and way too much. Do you think that an offcut from whatever I buy (part that isn't needed) siliconed to the top of another piece would work fine? (I'm a sponge noob)

3. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Can anyone comment on evaporative cooling and aquariums? If I had a fan blowing onto the surface of my aquariums water, can it possibly drop below ambient or is this impossible?

4. japes

japes Member

I believe most of them can achieve up to about 4c below ambient temperature. It's a very simple and effective cooling tool - one that I've never used on my own personal aquariums but something many others swear by.

5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I'm having heat issues too. The recent heat in Perth has caused three of my Neon Tetra's to suddenly get cotton mouth (3 fish in 2 days). None of them seem seriously injured, and Melafix + colder water is fixing it, but if I'd been away it could have been much worse.

Since christmas, most days have had maxes in the high-30's or 40's with minimums >20, making it hard to maintain a temperature of 24-26. I've been using ice, frozen water bottles and leaving the hood open to keep my tank <30. Tried a pedestal fan, but it's not high enough to blow on the surface of the water with my hood.

6. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

And every1 laughed at me when i bought my chiller....

[​IMG]

7. The Wolf

The Wolf Member

Entirely possible. The trick is airflow, humidity and surface area.
    A shallow pool of water with good dry airflow over it and it will be fine. It's not ideal for salt unless you have something to automatically top up the water, or your SG will swing a bit.

My spotted mardarin fish started eating today. Just got him onto live baby brineshrimp. Now to try the pellets I have

8. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Do you run it 24x7x365, or just when it's hot? I can manage my 100L tank overheating with ice, but I want to upgrade to a ~400L tank when I move house. Just wondering if it makes sense to use a chiller rather than leave AirCon running all day in an unattended house...

9. brocky2006

brocky2006 Member

400L will warm up a lot slower than a 100L and depends more on oxygen than temp unless u have very sensative fish.
    my goldfish have been up to 30+ as cold water fish. all the rest are tropical but i drop the water a little lower so the pump outlet is out of the water

10. Anakist

Anakist Member

When I was researching chillers, the general rule was 1 tank = chiller. More than 1 = room aircon. And if you are going marines, aircon or a BIG chiller.

For a 400l tank you are looking at a 1/4HP chiller (which is only around 0.2kW compared to a small 1.5kW split system) and will chill to around 7 - 8 C below ambient. Which is still 32 or 33 on a 40 day. You can get away with a smaller chiller if you insulate the tank and pipes and live in a temperate area. In a hot area you might need to insulate with a bigger chiller to get your ~16 below ambient!

And don't forget, the heat it extracts from the tank has to go somewhere. In a closed system (easy in a house during the day if you securely lock it up) you will end up heating the room.

Otherwise you can room aircon and enjoy the benefit yourself too. The direct drive inverter type room aircons are a lot smarter than a chiller. You wouod be much better off running 1kw of smart aircon than 1kw of chillers if you go that way!

James

11. fido666

fido666 Member

Since I pulled my Aqua One AR380 power head and the other filter parts out to clean the tank the power head has been making a hell of a racket. I did take the impeller cover out and clean the impeller blades plus the inside of the impeller chamber with a bottle brush. I'm going to strip it all out again and put it back together but is it likely the impeller motor is shot? I did notice it wasn't pushing the water through the filter box as fast, was happy about that though as it used to overflow into the spillway but then the noise started.

ETA: All fixed, combination of some loose part(s) on the power head/trickle arm and the air pump not sitting squarely on its rubber feet (vibration noise, etc).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Just run during the summer period buddy.... And chiller doesnt saty on all the time... It will run for a while turn off.... Then back on as it heats up... Set to 25c so when it his around 26c-27c the chiller kicks in

Not sure were u got ur info from but my tank sits in garage which faces the sun all day...

Last week it hit 40c and in my garage was sitting at around 45c - 50c.

My water temps on my 3" hit 35c and lost a couple of fish but my main tank with the chiller didnt go past 25c....

13. Anakist

Anakist Member

The link it specifically states it gets 7 - 8 below ambient following their recommended sizing.

That is why I said go larger and insulate the tank. I wrapped styrofoam around the sides and back of my little marine tank and it stayed cool enough for seahorses. Except when we had a week of 40+ days and hot nights while on I was away on holidays and the seahorses couldn't cope for long enough :(

James

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

As with all refrigerators, the laws of thermodynamics means that ambient-8 isn't always achievable. As the compressor dumps warm air on the outside, if ambient is really high then it can't cool down effectively on the inside.

15. afcca

afcca Member

I feel so sorry for you guys in the heat lately. Been getting 38+ here lately but thankfully my tank here hasn't been going over 31. I have a crayfish tank without a heater and the thing is bloody cold as, I keep hugging it to cool down :lol:

16. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Remember one emergency way you can keep on top of temps is to do a water change. If you only change 25% or 30% of the tank and use treated tap water, it will be cold enough to drop the temp a few degrees and buy you some time, but not enough to freak the fish out. Or do 50% and a more gradual refill. It's the same kind of temperature drop you get in the wild when it rains. Obviously it's a pain to do that every day during summer but on those emergency heatwave days it can be a fishy life-saver. And turn your lights off and open the cabinet and glass lids, assuming you have no mental jumpers.

17. Smegger

Smegger Member

I used to keep ice cream containers and milk cartons of water in the freezer. Just drop them in the tank and it cools down nicely. These days though I keep the house at a reasonable temp during summer, more for myself than the fish.:lol:

18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I've never bothered with temp control, either heating or cooling. Here in Townsville during summer < 24c at night is uncommon, < 31 during the day is also unlikely. I've never lost fish because of it, at least as far as I'm aware - my neon tetras don't seem to be particularly vulnerable to it, they've lasted at least a couple of years of it so far.

I'd be more concerned about large swings in temperature, surely people out west who might get near-freezing overnight and 35c during the day, repeatadly, would have more problems?

19. afcca

afcca Member

I've heard of people using frozen bottles just floating in the water around here to cool it down, but never had to actually do it.

On another note, I just finished (for a 3rd time) the calculations for a Hamburg Matt Filter for my 6ft. Apparently it will be sticking out 43.5cm from the corner, taking up a massive amount of the tank :( I really like the idea of the HMF but at such an insane size required for the tank that big I don't know..

20. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

What does this magical filter do that a decent canister or two doesn't? Apart from take up half the tank. ;)