General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Thanks for the tips!

I've previously bought from some suppliers directly. Might give that a go. I hope to propagate some plants myself.

2. t00ch

t00ch Member

I've had a tropical tank running for the last couple of months (successfully!), and just wondering something. When I bought the tank, I was told by the guy at the shop that I had to use this https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/aquarium-conditioning-salts.html in addition to a normal conditioner https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/nutrafin-aqua-plus-120ml.html.

Do I need those salts? I realise that I need the conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine, but not sure about the salts. If it's of benefit, I don't mind the additional cost as it's minimal.

3. callan

callan Member

I sure-as hell don't like the idea of tipping valerian into any aquarium - sounds a lot like quackery. I use this stuff and my fish are still alive. (not tropical, it must be said). I frankly doubt the ability of any of them to deal with chloromines in a timely fashion, either.

I'm a bit surprised, as Amazing Amazon are just down the road from where I live. I've been there a few times, they've been in business for decades, and seem to know their stuff.

Callan

4. t00ch

t00ch Member

Thanks Callan. The guy who served me was one of the weekend staff I think, and he seemed to be in a rush. He certainly wasn't as helpful as the other people I'd dealt with there who definitely seemed to know their stuff. He also told me that fishless cycling was a waste of time and just to use feeder goldfish and then 'get rid of them'. :mad:

I had done enough research to promptly ignore that part of his advice, but I'd just accepted the part about the salts and only really thought about it the other day when doing a regular water change.

5. callan

callan Member

Wait - whaa???? He should not be working in any pet shop.

As to the salts: well I don't have tropical fish, so I really can't comment. I just stick to managing the nitrogen cycle, keeping it clean and keeping my fishbabies happy. All which seems to be going well.

Callan

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

depends on the fish you have.
    as an exampke guppies like a bit of salt, helps with spawning apparently.
    loachs of any kind do not like any salt.

7. t00ch

t00ch Member

Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear that advice from a respected shop. I was at least an informed newbie, whereas complete newbies would probably have taken that as expert advice :(

I've got 3 male guppies in the tank, and 5 Danios at the moment. I plan to add some more fish in a week or 2, not sure exactly what yet.

I guess I'll just use the salt up for now and then probably won't buy any more.

8. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

to me those"salts" are to increase your General hardness, have you tested those parameters (GH/KH) in your tank? as I had to use something similar in mine as the soil and drift wood killed my gh/kh to the point where it was no good for fish.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

unless your town water is plain toxic (sydney :p) just using ordinary tap water with some ager is going to be suficient for most peeps.
    esp. if you're starting out. K.I.S.S. is excellent advice, your fish will adjust and everything will be close enough to fine to start learning and fine tuning from there

10. spedwards

spedwards Member

This is good advice! Your fish will prefer consistency over perfection.

11. slugworth

slugworth Member

Here is the latest snap of my two tanks. Moved them about 6 months ago and they have settled nicely. I have finally got on top of the BBA by getting the CO2 dialed in nicely.

Have not got around to finishing the foreground of the planted tank. Either need to build up the substrate and go HC/Monte Carlo or go with plain sand.

[​IMG]

12. Sup3rFly

Sup3rFly Member

Very nice setup mate!

Here's mine below - It's about 10 months old now.

[​IMG]

Full Image - http://i.imgur.com/saYOji5h.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  13. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Those are some lovely plants. What's the red ones to the left? Not to mention those stems...

My plant ID practice... s.repens and hairgrass up the front with a raft of riccia? And blyxa japonica with a chain sword?

Here's my blank slate, been like this for the last month...
    http://imgur.com/a/0mFit

I am trying to decide whether mine is going to be DSM or not. I would like to try emmersed first as I don't have a CO2 setup.

14. Sup3rFly

Sup3rFly Member

Thanks heaps - A lot of time and fine tuning has gone into it.

You're spot on with those ID's upfront. The one that looks like a chain Sword is actually an Amazon Sword loving some CO2. same with the one just behind it.

Back left stems are Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' - If you want some when they get bigger, happy to cut some off and send. Very hardy plant.

Back right are Hygrophila polysperma - Grows fast, almost like a weed when it has CO2.

The red plant is Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'.

What type of style are you going for with your setup?

That piece of driftwood is awesome and that little arch way. From what I've heard and read doing emersed is great to get monte carlo to carpet with out being ripped up by bottom feeders, actually any carpeting plant really. I have 2 bristlenose pleco and the destroyed my MC.

15. callan

callan Member

Algae growing UNDER silicone - should I be worried?

Just a quickie.
    Generally algae is not a problem with my aquarium: managing PH, the occasional use of a sterilizer and decent cleaning has it well under control.
    In one corner of the aquarium, though some algae has started growing, and it's growing UNDERNEATH the silicone, not on top (where it can be cleaned off). My concern is that indicates water is getting BEHIND the silicone. It's only in this corner.

Should I start worrying about the aquarium leaking some time down the track????

[​IMG]

Oh, pikkie of the aquarium.

[​IMG] (

Full size here
    )

Callan

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  16. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

I have a small tank of neons (21Lt, 6 neons), thinking of a bit of variety and as a ia hve a bit of algae/moss/something in the tank, thought maybe some bristlenoses or something... anyone got any advice? just a bit of a variety from just the cute little blue guys.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

go for some little prawns
    crs or rcs
    whatever they are

18. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

That tank is too small for pretty much anything else. 21l is even pushing it for 6 tetras. As above You can try some shrimp but keep in mind they may not be compatible with the tetras, it can be very hit and miss.

How about just sticking to some cool plants

19. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Not quite true... It's all about filtration.

For instance if you have a 200L/hr filter, you're effectively cleaning the water ~10x an hour and so could go above the ol' 'gallons of water per inch of fish' rule.

Plants would also help with water quality.

Some killi fish might go OK alongside some shrimp. Or even try to breed some yabbies.

20. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

It's not just about filtration, I'm more referring to the size of the tank. Even a 30cm cube is 30% larger water than a 21L tank and I would second guess putting 6 fish that can grow to 4cm long even if it has 1000LPH worth of filtration. I can live my life in a single room, doesn't mean I'd be happy about it.

Edit: liveaquaria actually recommend a minimum tank size for adult neon tetras of nearly twice that size.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017