General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

No way i hell to the dissolving bricks.yuk.
    I used a rotating drum type. Get a food type that is very consistant in size.
    My feeder had the option to spin twice. So i went with a very small amount spun twice, two times a day. One in daylight the other in the dark to give the smaller fish a fighting chance at getting something...
    The spin twice at least gives a chance to get some food out if it clogged up on the first spin...

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Even though people can be "dangerous" if they don't understand, I'd still want a person to check that the power hasn't gone out or somebody got stuck somewhere or something. Do you have an aquarium shop that might have somebody who maintains tanks on the side? Getting somebody like that to come in would be ideal for the fish (as long as they are trustworthy not to steal your stuff :D). They won't make the mistakes a "non-fish" person might, and you aren't having to worry that the electronics have done the dirty on you. Or a "call in and feed your pets" service might have a suitably-knowledgeable "fish person" who can be trusted. A carer doesn't have to be a fish person to handle the job, they just need to be someone who understands that it matters how much goes in and who will strictly follow instructions (somebody like a nurse :D)

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I left these pre cut in half for my cousin to feed in the main tank. Instructions were a small pinch of the Hikari pellets in each tank, then half a small weekly block in each tank & a slice of frozen veg for the Yabbie each week.

I was away for 5 weeks and don't recall loosing any fish, however I only have small tropicals (tetras, endlers, Betta, Khulis & RCS), nothing expensive or delicate. My cousin doesn't have fish or pets, but he is a bit OCD and can follow instructions. Also I did all the water change and filter cleaning prep work mentioned by others in earlier posts.

4. callan

callan Member

Just throwing this one out there.
    I accidentally ditched the colour chart for my (fresh-opened) hardness/alkalinity test kit /duh .
    Just wondering if anyone has a spare floating around that they'd be able to whack in an envelope and post to me??? I'd hate to have to buy a new one just due to my carelessness....

The test kit in question:
    Test kit.jpg

I'd be really grateful if someone has a spare....

Thanks.
    Callan

5. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I'll look when I get home, however I don't think there's a colour chart, just count the number of drops until the colour changes. the chart should just be drops/degrees to ppm conversion.

6. afcca

afcca Member

You can pull these off google, you just need to match the correct chart

7. callan

callan Member

Actuallly I think you're right: I'll look into that.

Callan