General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

No way i hell to the dissolving bricks.yuk.
    I used a rotating drum type. Get a food type that is very consistant in size.
    My feeder had the option to spin twice. So i went with a very small amount spun twice, two times a day. One in daylight the other in the dark to give the smaller fish a fighting chance at getting something...
    The spin twice at least gives a chance to get some food out if it clogged up on the first spin...

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Even though people can be "dangerous" if they don't understand, I'd still want a person to check that the power hasn't gone out or somebody got stuck somewhere or something. Do you have an aquarium shop that might have somebody who maintains tanks on the side? Getting somebody like that to come in would be ideal for the fish (as long as they are trustworthy not to steal your stuff :D). They won't make the mistakes a "non-fish" person might, and you aren't having to worry that the electronics have done the dirty on you. Or a "call in and feed your pets" service might have a suitably-knowledgeable "fish person" who can be trusted. A carer doesn't have to be a fish person to handle the job, they just need to be someone who understands that it matters how much goes in and who will strictly follow instructions (somebody like a nurse :D)

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I left these pre cut in half for my cousin to feed in the main tank. Instructions were a small pinch of the Hikari pellets in each tank, then half a small weekly block in each tank & a slice of frozen veg for the Yabbie each week.

I was away for 5 weeks and don't recall loosing any fish, however I only have small tropicals (tetras, endlers, Betta, Khulis & RCS), nothing expensive or delicate. My cousin doesn't have fish or pets, but he is a bit OCD and can follow instructions. Also I did all the water change and filter cleaning prep work mentioned by others in earlier posts.

4. callan

callan Member

Just throwing this one out there.
    I accidentally ditched the colour chart for my (fresh-opened) hardness/alkalinity test kit /duh .
    Just wondering if anyone has a spare floating around that they'd be able to whack in an envelope and post to me??? I'd hate to have to buy a new one just due to my carelessness....

The test kit in question:
    Test kit.jpg

I'd be really grateful if someone has a spare....

Thanks.
    Callan

5. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I'll look when I get home, however I don't think there's a colour chart, just count the number of drops until the colour changes. the chart should just be drops/degrees to ppm conversion.

6. afcca

afcca Member

You can pull these off google, you just need to match the correct chart

7. callan

callan Member

Actuallly I think you're right: I'll look into that.

Callan

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I checked my tanks existing cheapo heater and found the cable cracked and exposed copper wiring :o so that and my spare cheapo thats past its used by date went in the bin.

Bought two new 'aqua worx' 300 watt units for $15 each. Ive installed one in the tank and will use the other as my pre heat for water changes and emergency spare.

That was last weekend, and since then, whenever i check out the inkbird 308 its rarely anything except this ...

[​IMG]

Ive seen it at a low of 25.3 and as high as 25.6
    Great for the fishys.

I was thinking of wiring up a edmi mk10h or mk7c energy meter and plotting time of use and consumption for a few weeks.

I was also thinking of getting a couple of cheap data loggers too and plot those temps against my energy data.
    Anyone used a good temp logger thats cheap ?

9. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Hi guys, didn't want to create a new thread for this, but just wondering if anyone knows a good quality custom aquarium / cabinet builder in Brisbane area please?

I want to get something that looks flush with the cutout in the wall, preferably one person to do the lot rather than having to deal with a cabinet maker, tank maker etc

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Thanks for looking and let me know if this is TC and should be moved :)

10. afcca

afcca Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I've seen one of there tanks in a LFS at morningside (no longer open) it was spectacular in build quality.
    I was put off by the price at the time. That was many years ago. But now realise it was worth it.

12. afcca

afcca Member

Does anyone have experience with a sulking Oscar? Mine has been sitting in the corner sulking for probably going on 2 months now (besides when we approach the tank or feed them), and even being bothered by my salmontail she just moves to the opposite corner and continues to sulk. The internet says they are sulky fish, and she's never done this before, but it also says she should be back to normal after a short while and it's been quite a long time. Wondering if she's unwell. She eats fine and is perfectly active when I'm near the tank to interact with her.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Breeding season ?? Maybe she's keen for a mate ?
    Sorry I dont anything about oscars.

14. afcca

afcca Member

This is a very strong possibility as she has spawned twice in this tank, once about 3 weeks after she started sulking. The only thing I worry about is she isn't alone (she's got a 2ft catfish with her) so introducing a mate could lead to potential problems if they decided to get territorial.

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Oh yes. Dont drop 'a friend' in now. That would be messy :(

You need troy mclure :lol:

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

So a bit of an good and bad update ...
    the good
    I decided to build a data logger. one arduino uno and a SD card shield with a DS1820 waterproof sensor and also a DHT22 sensor for good measure
    This is stupidly accurate (0.05C) and i can track tank water temp against room temp and humidity

the bad
    I've had a couple of failures
    one of my cheapo heaters failed (no big surprise) a quick trip to the shop and that was replaced with a slightly better (?) unit as they didnt have anymore of the super cheapos in stock.
    and, rather oddly, the InkBird 308 had a 'slow' fail. the temperate sensor started to drift away :( I could adjust this in the controller, but it was drifting further each day :(

eBay seller InkBirdAU however have been excellent and really went above and beyond. They sent a replacement out, it took four nights between me sending a message and picking up the new unit
    so they are good to their word :)

They seem to think that some water may have gotten into the sensor head ??
    So to ward off any further issues or troubles I grabbed some heatshrink with a "glue wall" inside it
    two short peices, were applied and some care in regards to the new position should see this '308' last for a number of years (fingers crossed)

some pics

the old sensor
    20180819_113221.jpg
    [​IMG]

the new sensor with two layers of glue wall heatshrink (one meter cost $6.50 at jaycar)
    20180819_113238.jpg
    [​IMG]

and positioned so the tip would be in the flow out of the filter (during a water change. normal all of this is below the water line)
    20180819_133057.jpg
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    fredhoon likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

and the fat bastard I go through all of this for ..
    a 7" 25 year old loach, with cataracts like dinner plates in his eyes, that falls asleep out in the front corner of the tank even when when I have the music up loud... he has no fear of anything in, or out of, the tank

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. afcca

afcca Member

Damn that's a hell of a fish.

Update for me and a question. My oscar is still not doing great. What started as sulking has turned into what I'm pretty sure is actually a swim bladder issue - she spends most of her time with her nose on the substrate in the corner. She will swim around for a bit when its feeding time but it obviously takes her some effort to do so.

I've just gotten her a friend and a replacement pleco for the one I lost a few months back and watched her interaction with the newbies closely and she is obviously struggling hard and it's making me really sad. The question is, what's the best course of treatment? Peas and a salt bath? I've just spent some time looking at videos on youtube and she's by far from a really bad case of it, she kind of just sits there pointed down not moving, but when she tries to move she has difficulty.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

It's not a flattering picture of the big fella thats for sure.

Sad to hear about your oscar afcca.
    I dont know anything about swim bladder issues sorry.
    I know it sucks when a fishy friend is in distress though :( :(

What ive read
    With peas is to quickly blanch the peas and them pull the skin off them. Only feed one or two at a time at the start. Increase this slowly and make sure whats going in, is comming out.
    Obviously dont leave any uneaten food behind.

Salt baths and higher temps then normal can help a variety of issues. The heat speeding up the life cycle of the parasite or pathogen, while the salt kills the parents and kills the offspring before they breed/replicate

Good Luck with her

20. afcca

afcca Member

Been giving her peas, but the pleco is eating them.... greedy prick. I'm gonna starve the tank or perhaps move her into my only spare tank so she has no other choice. Friend of mine is an ex-vet nurse who apparently treated many fish with peas herself which surprised the hell out of me lol. We'll see how things go and keep y'all updated. Might try a salt bath next week if she doesn't improve.