General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. afcca

afcca Member

Unfortunately I don't have any spare filters anymore as they've all passed on in the world so would have to jerry-rig something DIY style, but there isn't actually a huge amount of flow in the corner she's in which is why I think she's there. She doesn't have the issue overly bad as she's not fighting things or having trouble staying down, it just she's having trouble. Gonna try a salt bath at the end of the week if she's not responding as mentioned :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. afcca

afcca Member

Salt bath is done as she's refusing peas (doesn't like anything that isn't her pellets, bloodworms or alive, typical fussy eater so not really unexpected) so will see how the next few days go. Feeding the other fish up the other end of the tank by hand so she should be starving enough but nope, wont eat peas, just keeps pushing them away until the pleco comes in and chomps them up.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I know its probably too early to be certain but any effect ?

4. afcca

afcca Member

Not a huge change but she seems to be a little less vertical than before. The guide I watched said keep feeding peas so am going to offer more this afternoon.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so two weeks ago the new new inkbird 308 went in
    there are two anomalies in the water temp
    1. water change (sensor in free air)
    2. me rooting around checking up

FTDL.14days.1.9.18.PNG

how's that for regulation ?

6. Audionut

Audionut Member

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

The 308 does track nicely compared to my homebuilt unit (graphs above) which uses a ds18b20 sensor set at 12bit resolution for the tank and a dht22 for the room/air temp and RH

And thats a 250watt heater in a 600L tank too
    You could say I'm slightly impressed :) :) :)

8. afcca

afcca Member

Oscar update... She's still not better, but not vertical as per my previous post and she is actually eating peas and I've been cleaning out poop that I'm pretty sure is hers (The rest of the tank is being fed minimally). She seems to be recovering but ever so slowly. Wish there was more I could do :(

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pooping peas is a good sign :thumbup:

10. afcca

afcca Member

So, it wasn't her eating them, the baths did nothing and I was getting annoyed. So she's now in a hospital tank that has been dosed entirely with epsom salts as per an online guide and am proud to report she is finally swimming around a little normally. I'm going to keep her in there a few more days before transplanting her back into the normal tank just to make sure, and keep giving her peas every few days (I'm still not sure she's actually eating them, I seem to be removing just as many as I'm putting in each day to keep them fresh) but she is definitely swimming better today than she has in weeks. Things are finally looking up.

fredhoon and MUTMAN like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Good to hear shes getting better :thumbup:

Be careful when you transition her back.
    It might pay to use the main tank water to replace the hospital tankwater over a few days before moving her completely

afcca likes this.
  12. afcca

afcca Member

I was thinking of doing that, doing a 50% water change with the old tank's water into the hospital tank for a day to lighten the load out of the salt seeing as she's going to of been in there for about a week or so. Thanks for reaffirming my idea though, pays to have more than one mind think alike :thumbup:

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Id even go as far as three or four changes at 33/25% spread over a few days just to lower the sudden change back. Not sure if there's any logic or even any imperical evidence of that, but i doubt it would hurt ??

14. afcca

afcca Member

She's had 2 salt baths at a considerable concentration, easily 10 to 30 times the dilution of what she's in now and I did transition her with a lower concentration short bath before moving her back inrto the other tank and she seems fine but seeing as she's been in this one for a while so doing it even slower is a good idea. She's improved a bit more today too swimming around more but still dragging a bit. Once she stops dragging entirely I'll start the acclimatization process to move her back I think and keep an eye on her.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm glad she's better. :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. afcca

afcca Member

Finally have some really good news. I'm going to be moving her back in the next few days as I've started transitioning her out of salt water, because she's swimming fine and passing food through properly! Been a slow road but glad it's over with and happy to free up the tank as the tank she's currently in is going to be made into a sump for the office tank, I'm sick of cleaning the HMF's in it as each time I do they fill up with gunk faster (something the articles never warned about) and it is a hell of a job to clean them. They may work well but for a heavily stocked tank they require a fairly decent amount of maintenance which simply isn't easy so moving to an external sump setup.

Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone, I'll post photos when she's back in with the others!

broccoli and MUTMAN like this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Will you drill the bottom of the tank or just pipe over the side ?

Edit - I'd love to have a 4x4x2 rimless one day. Drilled bottom in the middle and have a feature hiding the overflow and outflows - a "volcano style" feature in the middle

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  18. afcca

afcca Member

Just a DIY overflow using 2inch piping, that's what I have setup on the other tank and has been running for over a year now without issues. I've built a few of the overflows so have a bit of experience with them and they're pretty solid (and don't trust myself with drilling a tank).

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Oh, forgot to say in previous post - Glad she pulled through and looking forward to pix of the healthy girl back in her usual home :thumbup:

afcca likes this.
  20. afcca

afcca Member

So she's back in, swam around for about 5 minutes and then went back to the same corner and back to sitting on the bottom. But I expected some sulking after a move anyway, fish always take a while to get back to themselves. The good thing is she isn't buoyant and is sitting properly on the bottom, and while she was quarantined I could confirm she was passing what I fed her even though she never ate peas. For now she is mended physically but possibly not emotionally, Bruce was visibly happy to see her rubbing all over her as soon as she went in (he does that, it's weird). Will keep you posted. (she's the feather fin not the one at the back)

Attached Files:

MUTMAN likes this.