General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm contemplating making a change to our tank situation.

We wound down our second 200L tank after a bit of a disaster in it while we were away. So we're down to a single operating tank that has a 2x Corydoras Schwartzi and 2x Panda Corydoras, 1x happy Pleco, ~8ish Tetra and literally a gazillion Guppy spawn I have no idea what to do with...

We were under the impression most likely spawn from the guppies would be eaten by the large fish. Turns out not that case and now I think there's about 30 young in the tank.

I would like to start over essentially and recreate one of the 200L tanks with more corys in addition to the ones I have presently, the existing pleco and a new single betta as well as sand substrate instead of gravel as the sand will be better for the Corys.

The guppies we have are all pretty inbred now. Not really sure what to do with them...

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

offer them for free? Guppies are a good "kid" fish to start out with. You'll need to separate the sexes or some poor kid will get huge headaches. Or offer them to a pet shop.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pond/old bathtub in the garden with a solar panel and pump ? they seem to hibernate over winter and as soon as the temperature rises they're back out in force

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Ended up giving them to a colleague of my wife for free! Good result.

Going to start setting the empty 200L tank up soon I think. I'm pretty keen to use a sand substrate for the new tank as the Corydoras really enjoy it. Can't get my head around pool filter sand sizing though... Anyone know how it works?

I'm not planning on going overboard with plants but I'm thinking I could use a soil/activated substrate thing and put the sand on top for the Corys to filter through.

5. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

How does gravel vacuuming work with sand or capped soil substrates? Do you just skip it or just redo the substrate frequently?

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

From what I've read given the sand is much finer the detritus tends to sit on top. You can gently vac it up I believe.

fredhoon likes this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Be careful with the filter pickup placement, the cords will flick sand everywhere and a strong filter will suck in heaps. Not a massive issue, but it chews up impellers like crazy

8. afcca

afcca Member

Can vouch for this, 6 years with canister filters and playground sand is an absolute nightmare cleaning out like 4kg of sand out of each filter every 6 months. Ultimately changed my setup so I didn't have to deal with that crap anymore...

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Socks, pre filter foams, pickup up high, still the sand finds a way in
    I can lol now, but until there's a foolproof method Im out of sand bottom tanks

10. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Were you guys ever running sumps with your sand tanks or just canister filters?

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Always canister here ...

12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm going to be running with a Fluval canister. Apparently pool filter sand is far less of a pain for filters than play sand which is much finer? So I've read, and hope!

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

What ever you do, wash the hell out of it. And then wash it again.
    After all that, and its a hell of an effort just quietly, stop, think about putting it in, and wash again....

14. afcca

afcca Member

Yep, pool filter sand is a much bigger grain and I wish I had of gone with it. Play sand is like smoke when you pick it up underwater. (ok maybe not quite that bad...)

Agreeeeed. Best method I found is pour a bit in a bucket, put the hose in the bucket and move the head around continuously through the sand until it overflows and the water goes clear. Tip it all out and repeat the process two or three times. It takes quite a while but it's worth it. Also, add the sand before you put in the water and whatever you do, do not dump water directly onto the sand to stir it up when you add it into the tank the first time! Put a plate under your hose or add it through a sump or something just so it displaces otherwise you're going to have stupidly cloudy water regardless of how much you clean the sand.

15. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

afcca did you have issues with sand Buring up impellers when running back sump? I would have thought any suspended sand would have settled in the various sump compartments as the velocity of the water slowed down.

I'm curious as I have a dry 160L AquaOne marine tank with sump waiting to be setup and was thinking of going down the sand capped soil path. I really like my Khuli loaches and albino Corys but noticed the gravel in the current tanks is wearing down their whiskers/barbels, so leaning towards sand for their sake.

16. afcca

afcca Member

When I had canisters on the tank the impellers never had to be replaced over the ~6 years I had them on that tank and the one I still have running at the moment is going fine with good pressure coming out of the outlet. As for my current setup, it's a trickle tower with an external overflow PVC setup so sand doesn't really get through it, and if it does it barely ever makes it past the first chamber. I'm yet to see any in the actual sump compartment in the time I've had it setup. I don't have a crazy amount of circulation in the tank though besides the multidirectional outlet of the pump (which is set at about 3000L/hr) so that could be why, but I've never had any issues to date. With a typical submerged sump with multiple chambers I doubt the sand would get far either.

fredhoon likes this.
  17. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Hi all, I'm going to need to downsize pretty quickly. Anyone looking for a 4ft + 5ft?
    The 5ft was planted but has lost out to BBA. Needs a do-over and alas I'm moving so must ditch the tanks.

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Location is prime information :)

Optimus. likes this.
  19. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Oops, t'was late!

SA. Southern suburbs. Tanks plus cabinet, stand etc. Would need a trailer.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Digit

Digit Member

Hey all,

I've been out of fish keeping for a fair while now, I picked up a second hand 6ft tank, and will leak test it soon.

I'm thinking of either American or African cichlids, as a bit of aggression makes things interesting (hierarchy, more interactive etc). I've had Americans before but introduced a baby red devil which grew up to be a nightmare lol. So I'm looking to avoid similar mistakes. I'm thinking;

GT, Firemouth, Ellioti, Jack Dempsey.

What else might fit with these guys? Oscars or Jags? Any other idea's?

I'm thinking I'll start with the GTs, firemouths, ellioti as they're slow growers, or get more mature ones.then introduce quicker growing ones later.

Anything else i should consider stocking?

I was going to leave this for another post, but what'd everyone recommend filtration wise, lighting wise (LED, flouro?), substrate etc. We have leftover building sand so could use a bit of that.

Cheers,
    Digit

firey4059 likes this.