General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. Digit

Digit Member

Hey all,

I've been out of fish keeping for a fair while now, I picked up a second hand 6ft tank, and will leak test it soon.

I'm thinking of either American or African cichlids, as a bit of aggression makes things interesting (hierarchy, more interactive etc). I've had Americans before but introduced a baby red devil which grew up to be a nightmare lol. So I'm looking to avoid similar mistakes. I'm thinking;

GT, Firemouth, Ellioti, Jack Dempsey.

What else might fit with these guys? Oscars or Jags? Any other idea's?

I'm thinking I'll start with the GTs, firemouths, ellioti as they're slow growers, or get more mature ones.then introduce quicker growing ones later.

Anything else i should consider stocking?

I was going to leave this for another post, but what'd everyone recommend filtration wise, lighting wise (LED, flouro?), substrate etc. We have leftover building sand so could use a bit of that.

Cheers,
    Digit

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Filtration: i lost my love of eheim and for a few years now have had a fx5 on my 5 footer. Great filter. A bit exxy, but high quality for a canister.
    Other wise go for a sump
    Also, I wouldnt look at anything other than LEDs for lighting

3. Digit

Digit Member

Cheers for that, i think we had an eheim last go round. I've seen plenty of people recommending the FX6.

Why do you say LED I've seen people recommend it but I've not seen any write up on why.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer, the big fluvals (or eheims) arn't cheap to purchase, but they cost less in the long run and will (more likely) have spares available for a long time

well, there's nothing wrong with T5 fluro tubes, but they are EOL now days. LEDs are about on par with T5 tubes for power use and heat per light output.
    if you can pickup a T5 system nice and cheap than thats good too
    i like led as i can easily dim it if watching movies etc, and i crank it up around the full moon. the fish seem to respond well to the increased light :thumbup:

I'm not into marine side of things but if you were running a full blown marine tank with corals etc than I think high pressure metal tubes are still the goto due to the spectrum. also, they're more likely to have cooling so the heat output isn't as much of an issue (in terms of keeping tank temps under control)