General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Filtration: i lost my love of eheim and for a few years now have had a fx5 on my 5 footer. Great filter. A bit exxy, but high quality for a canister.
    Other wise go for a sump
    Also, I wouldnt look at anything other than LEDs for lighting

2. Digit

Digit Member

Cheers for that, i think we had an eheim last go round. I've seen plenty of people recommending the FX6.

Why do you say LED I've seen people recommend it but I've not seen any write up on why.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer, the big fluvals (or eheims) arn't cheap to purchase, but they cost less in the long run and will (more likely) have spares available for a long time

well, there's nothing wrong with T5 fluro tubes, but they are EOL now days. LEDs are about on par with T5 tubes for power use and heat per light output.
    if you can pickup a T5 system nice and cheap than thats good too
    i like led as i can easily dim it if watching movies etc, and i crank it up around the full moon. the fish seem to respond well to the increased light :thumbup:

I'm not into marine side of things but if you were running a full blown marine tank with corals etc than I think high pressure metal tubes are still the goto due to the spectrum. also, they're more likely to have cooling so the heat output isn't as much of an issue (in terms of keeping tank temps under control)

firey4059 likes this.
  4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

That is correct the detris doesn't penetrate, however not matter how careful you are with vaccuming the sand some with got through, you can clean and recycle it.

I'm runing 2 tanks with filter sand 1 2 ft with a canister and a 4ft with a sump,

Pool filter sand is the way to go, I would never use anything else. It is starting to get harder to get, talking to a pool supplier they are now using glass sand for pool filters. I am using blue circle not sure if there is a grading but have gone through 4 bags all up inc 2 for my dads 6ft tank.

5. afcca

afcca Member

Definitely don't do what I did and use playground sand. Ugh. Regret that decision. It looks brilliant and the fish love it but my godfather it is annoying.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Arrgggh. Bad news on the Inkbird 308. It's failed the same way as the last one :(
    Temperature that it is reporting just creeps up and up (compared to the true temp) now showing 31C when the water is ~24.5
    Sweet Delilah I have shit luck with aquarium heating .....

I've been in talks with the ebay seller, and as the item is past one year warranty (by a miserable 30 days) they wont be entertaining any refunds or replacements. naturally ....
    errr, yes under AU laws its still covered, but realistically, I have no chance.
    They have offered to sell me their new 'waterproof aquarium' version for half price .....
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323561603480 - note - it's heating only

I'm in two minds right now, but i can only pour more money in right ???

Any good news stories out there ? who's had a 'fishy' win recently ? :D

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Are you insane? They sold you a dud device, won't replace it, and you are considering rewarding them by giving them more money? Don't do it, man! Get a grip! :D

firey4059 and MUTMAN like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Its just a little bit more money ... cue the simpsons flying pig parody --> its just a little bit airborne

but yes. it seems insane to go down this rabbit hole ... but. and its a $25 but, it's the new 'waterproof aquarium' version !
    it must be better ??
    consider me the, ocau general aquarium talk threads' official inkbird test guinea pig :sick::upset:
    and to be fair, I'll be no worse off had i bought another eheim heater at 70 bucks. they only last a year and a month too ...

must be that bloody fat clown loach chewing the probe
    actually, he's a big cranky boy right now. the next two largest are starting to challenge for dominance more and more every day :lol:
    I'll try to grab a vid this weekend and throw it up on YT

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

What you need is a crapola Aquaone from City Farmers. They last. :D

10. negatron

negatron Member

Hi Lads! I'm really new to the aquarium game and have a little 40L tank with 5 neon tetras, 3 endlers guppies , 2 normal (fancy?) guppies and a cory catfish. bought it at the kid's request but i guess I'm doing all the work keeping it alive right now!

And being a start trek fan, i couldn't resist when i saw a downed star ship toy at the local aquarium shop.

now i'm wondering if you think I can chuck in something like like a little hotwheels model or similar diecast toy so i can have a 2nd starship in there with the fishes?

Something like https://www.amazon.com/2014-Hot-Wheels-250-Vengeance/dp/B00J7257H8 or https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-d

is what I had in mind.

I figured the hotwheels version being kidsafe would be non toxic, not sure about the eaglemoss version, but i thought it best to check with the brains trust first!

oh and here's a piccie of the setup now!

5kjeb6.jpg

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not necessarily. fish aren't little people, and what might leach out into water isn't the same as a little kid swallowing a chip of the paint. Only use aquarium things in an aquarium. Don't risk it.

firey4059 likes this.
  12. negatron

negatron Member

Hmm... There goes part of my plans... I've even ordered the Enterprise plaque to go behind the fish tank! Any suggestions on where to find a fish tank safe non-crashed star ship?

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Two crapola heaters on hand, just trying to get much better temperature regulation with the controller.
    I've folded (like superman on washing day) and bought the $25 inkbird 306 :o Reports to come in a week or two

you could try and find a good aquarium safe clear sealant and completely submerse the item and then pull it out to dry and seal (several days I'd guess)

14. afcca

afcca Member

Non-crashed is difficult, but what Broc says is right - you need to be careful what you put into the tank as it can leech into the water depending on what it is. Normal rule of thumb is no metal, no spray paint or water based paint and no sorts of chemicals. If you're iffy, and the internet says the same sort of thing, stay away from it.

However, tank design is extremely popular around the world and if you google you will find people have done this quite a lot with Starships, I'm sure most won't be bought at stores as Aquarium supplies or made of foam...

Not a ship but check out this monster!!
    [​IMG]

Anyway. My experience in this is pretty interesting. I've kept a few things inside multiple tanks for over a decade now including working electronics (that I have long since disabled as they were a gimmick) and my favourites still remain as you can see here :)

[​IMG]

The key is to remove anything that will deteriorate or leech. Everything in there is plastic or acrylic, except for the electrical components in the keyboard and mouse used to light up the LEDs, but those are surrounded by silicone to water-proof them and prevent anything from leaking out, however doing that with an ornament makes it look kind of ugly.

This may or may not be of help, but I hope it sparks some inspiration. Aquascaping is wonderful fun once you get into it, and rarely do you get it right on the first go (or do what I did and put in something that will eat all your plants......). Have fun with it and enjoy it :)

firey4059 likes this.
  15. callan

callan Member

Filter recommendations, please.
    I've a 90Litre tank, and for the past couple of years I've been using a Fluval U2 filter. It's been fantastic, keeping the water crystal clear and odour free: It only takes 6 hours to scrub the water after a clean and never missed a beat. Problem is I'm having increasing difficulty getting replacement filter pads for the damn thing, and I fear that this will soon become impossible.
    I'm looking for an IN-TANK filter. the tank isn't suited to a hang-on pump/filter due to covering glass, and I really , REALLY don't want to go the external route due to the hassles of water spillage when cleaning, and the fact that it's a massive overkill for our setup.
    Any suggesions?

Callan

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Sorry no hard recommendations but you could just go the poor mans DIY foam/sponge air lift jobbie ??

17. afcca

afcca Member

I have one of those filters and while it is a little tricky at first, you can actually make the filter pads yourself. The sponges should never need to be replaced but the pad/insert is just carbon and a sheet of filter wool and tbh should be replaced quickly, and I threw them out hella early anyway, but if you want to keep that you can simply buy some filter wool from any aquarium store and cut a piece to place in with the sponge on the insides. Will do the same job just without the carbon and cheaper, just takes some getting used to.

18. callan

callan Member

I found a source for the filters and bought up big, so crisis averted for the next few months .. (they arrived yesterday - yay!!)
    The first order, coarse fiters are even harder to get so I took both your suggestions and bought a mat of filter material. I've cut a couple up and fitted them and noticed an almost immediate improvement in water clarity: it's now sparkling, and perfectly clear, even looking end-on down the length of the tank.

I'll see what happens. In the Callan tradition I have a replacement filter/pump and a replacement air pump sitting in cold storage, so I'm not concerned if the filter is becomes discontinued... I'll just have to start experimenting further with homemade filter media.

Callan

afcca and firey4059 like this.
  19. callan

callan Member

I changed out the filters for carbon equivalents. Little to comment, other than a spectacular increase in water clarity and quality, even over the period of 4 hours (including a %40 water change) and over the improvement with the previous change.
    For the past 2 weeks now the chemical balance of the water has been "' a nice set of numbers", and the fish are happy, rested and safe - and that is most important.

Callan

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Oosh

Oosh Member

Jacked my aquarium up on blocks, built a trolley/dolly around it, and pushed it in to the next room over whilst we get new floors layed.
    All went surprisingly smoothly, just need to be careful not to scratch the new floor when I move it back next weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]