General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

You're game :o
    I'd be too paranoid of cracking the glass or breaking a seal.

2. Oosh

Oosh Member

Slow and steady. ;)

Was willing to take the risks instead of the certainty of entirely emptying, moving, and 'rebuilding' the tank scape twice in a week.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

TBH, i've considered dropping the water level to "just cover the fish" heights and move my 5x2x2 tank to a new location ... but even at that it's going to weight ?? 100kg ??
    I dont know an exact weight, but it wont be easy whatever it is. Adding to the fun is its a old house raised on stumps with old timber floors that are not super flat.
    So i'd need to have a spare tank as an intermediary step.

and that's why my tank is in the same spot for ten years :D

4. Oosh

Oosh Member

Add to that sand/gravel and ornamentation like my rock pile I'd have to deconstruct lest it collapse and strike the glass.
    Finally it's not just the weight of the water but how it shifts during transport as people walk and slosh it about.

This way I just dropped the water level to ~25% and rolled it away with relative ease.
    The castors sometimes got a little stuck in the grooves between the tiles but it was manageable.

I was able to get it done 100% by myself too without relying or imposing on anyone else.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. afcca

afcca Member

I have a 6x2x2 that I put in when I first moved in here, and about a month after decided it should of been on that wall instead of this wall... and haven't moved it because of how freaking heavy they are... I've moved one that big before empty and just haven't even considered how impossibly insane it would be with anything else inside.. It's on lino so I would actually have to do something like you have and roll it otherwise it would definitely shudder and crack, but the sheer weight of the thing is insane as is.

The other issue is..... Bruce the main resident is over 2ft now and well.. He gets a little cranky when there isn't much water in the tank. Moving the tank or trying to get him out of it would prove to be a nightmare. I'm going to have to do something eventually cause I'd really like more room in there. I just keep putting it off, so it'll probably end up turning into 'Oh well, no more moving the tank it's just time to build that dream 'Whole wall tank' I've been thinking about'...

Oosh and MUTMAN like this.
  6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Bruce Lee moves. Hi-ya! I can see Bruce doing cranky fish attack karate.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i'd love a 'whole wall tank' .....
    my loachs would love that :)

firey4059 likes this.
  8. afcca

afcca Member

Last water change he was in the way and I touched him on the nose like I usually do, which normally just makes him move... but he didn't... and instead kind of nuzzled into my hand. It was so weird. And annoying because I wanted to clean the tank!

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Have we seen photos of Bruce? I'd like to see him. What is he?

10. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

Hi,

I have an Aquarium I have setup with no plants or fish.

Its got a UV/Black light in it and a handful of glow in the dark ornaments. It looks epic. Pictures to come...

Aquarium is 150L, has a small filter and airstone running.

What should I do with the water to keep the water as clear and healthy as possible?

firey4059 likes this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

The little filter should be enough by itself with no other plants or animals in there
    A natural equilibrium between nutrients and bacteria in the water will occur over time, the filter gives them somewhere to flourish
    You might get some algae growth while these factors find a steady point.

You can either live with that and go with a bit of cleaning, or you can bomb the shit out of the water with chemicals to kill everything.

12. callan

callan Member

Got a bit of a worry with our (freshwater, goldfish) tank. It's being going great guns for several years now, and for some time now by just maintaining kH alkalinity PH has been remarkably stable at 7.0/7.1. Ammonia/nitrites have been zero, and all I would see was the natural rise in nitrates over the week prior to changing the water, and kH slowly dropping as the nitrogen fixing bacteria do their thing. Even the algae problems disappeared once things got sorted out.

But this water change has been different. To my horror Ammonia was present (1ppm) for the first time, and kH hasn't dropped as much as it normally does. I've changed the water, but the ammonia is still there/returned, and I'll do another change tomorrow.

The only change I've made recently was some roll-your-own filter media - reputable media, well washed before being fitted. But I'm concerned that my carefully cultivated flora in the bio-beads has gone tits-up, and I'd love to know why.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas what's caused this???? I'm almost getting panicky about it.:upset::upset:

Callan

edit: didn't help that the air pump died yesterday as well - couldn't pump air under any sensible head of pressure: I presume the diaphragm split. I had a spare in reserve (I hold a spare like-for-like air pump and filter/pump) and just swapped it out, but that did nothing to improve my mood.....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Just add some water ager or other ammonia locker. Keep an eye on the levels and the bacteria will bounce back.
    Also you can add the bacteria in a bottle type solutions. I've previously used the seachem one but cant think of the name of it.

Also worth considerimg is your actual test kit. The solutions in that do age and "go off" too.

14. afcca

afcca Member

Bruce is a large Salmon-tail Catfish I picked up just over 10 years ago now. He isn't the usual breed that you will find in rivers and fish tank stores, I have had a number over the years and seen many others but until one particular store in Brisbane I had never seen any that were the same shape or colour as him once they passed more than 3 or 4 inches, he's very... submarine like and bronze rather than grey. Then when I visited my bff in Cairns last year and went to the amazing new Aquarium there I discovered they have two Salmon-tail tanks, and the second has an ENTIRE SCHOOL OF THEM and they are so cool!

Anyway, without further adue, here is a video of Brucey eating the other day. Well, vacuuming.

Sounds like the system has crashed, happens sometimes when you change too much water or the filter gets finicky. Dump in a small bottle of API Quickstart or Seachem Headstart - Both of these are life savers when it comes to this situation and have used them myself. They quite literally will help regrow the nitrifying bacteria in the tank and take care of the underlying cause. In the mean time don't feed the fish, monitor closely and if the ammonia stays at that high level keep up your water changes. As Mut said the testers can get dodgy with age so take in a sample to your LFS and they'll check for free to be sure before you buy anything (providing it is still an issue as this is now on Friday morning (sorry I'm slow!)), but crashing bacteria is almost definitely your issue.. I have this problem a lot with one of my tanks (The one with the Hamburg Matten Filters for those of you playing at home, it is in the process of being changed into a sump because of a billion reasons and the crashing bacteria is not one of them - that issue is just because I'm not careful enough) and it can creep up on you quickly but can be easily fixed :)

Hope this all helps D:

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Bruce is adorable! You're not wrong about being huge.... Who's the other "little" guy? He's quite the ham, very "I'm ready for my closeup, Mr de Mille".

How huge of a tank would you need to have a school of Bruces?

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Bruce looks underfed :p

17. afcca

afcca Member

I haven't actually got a name for the oscar, I kind of never decided. I had a featherfin oscar in with Bruce for about 7 years but she developed a really bad case of bloat and passed away earlier this year... She had quite the personallity and dramatic flare but her name was... Oscar... because I thought she was a he.. until she laid eggs...

Anyway. A school of Bruces.. He is in a 6x2 at the moment and he is really too big for it as is. The ones at the Cairns Aquarium are up to about 3.5 - 4 ft long but they grow massively in girth and are housed in a ginormous tank probably the size of my office. The three in brisbane are in maybe an 8x3?

Well.. You think that.. But I could feed him a handful of pellets every day and he would eat them like that every day and his stomach is basically like stretch-pants. The whole 'Feed them what they can consume within 2minutes' rule goes out the window with him, cause that would be like his body weight, and last time I picked him up that was easily 5kg.. So I opt to feed him every few days and less than he will consume until he is full. If he is full, he can't actually sit flat on the bottom - his stomach is too round. Feeding every day in seems to not work as he doesn't actually eat every day for some reason, so it seems to be best to let him get hungry and scoff it up. The oscar gets food daily though.

He does get treats every now and then in the form of feeder crays (as does the oscar). I used to have apple snails in a tank with him years ago - until I saw one day the freaking catfish SUCK OUT THE SNAIL FROM THE SHELL!

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. broccoli

broccoli Member

Call her Norma (Desmond). :D
    new tank, new house, extension (all of the above)? :D

19. afcca

afcca Member

I like this idea, clearly you are my sponsor :lol:

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i was only kidding about Bruce's belly size :) He's lookin good :thumbup:

I've struggled for names for my 'boys', but I can ID each of the loachs by sight and personality
    here's a short clip from last full moon

and some of the protagonists from 12 years ago

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019