General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Big time kissy time. :D

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the big fella that's "greying out" (a sign of dominance/pissed off levels increased) is really old

upload_2019-7-13_9-45-11.png

So old he has cataracts in his eyes :(

This last full moon was a big turning point, it's the first time I've seen the next two biggest have a go at him.
    He's still king for now, but I expect this will change at some time sooner rather than later

3. Digit

Digit Member

Hey all,

I've got an Aquael shrimp starter 20L with my betta and a few gloawlight tetras I added yesterday in there. He's going great, loves to chase the tetras (poor little guys) water chems are perfect, but there is a buildup of algae, (which i don't mind as it absorbs ammonia, nitrite nitrate etc). What's the best algae eater to throw in there with him? Keeping in mind I have plants (java moss, crypts, hair grass), that I don't want eaten, but I want the algae that's on them to be eaten.

I've been recommended oto cats? Anyone have other suggestions?

4. jayc

jayc Member

It depends on what type of algae. Do you know what you have?

5. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

20L is a very small volume of water for fish. Even a small fish like an oto has a minimum recommended tank size of 10gallons. So do the Glowlights as well. Personally I wouldn’t be adding anymore fish to an already overstocked tank.

6. Digit

Digit Member

I am not sure, does this pic help?
    20190825_095526.jpg

Ahh man, i asked the dude at the LFS about whether the tank would handle it and he said yes. I thought it'd be a bit much...

Are those recommendations for the fish due to their wanting more space to swim, or for the water chems? If the plants cover the ground and moss covers the stump like I hope it'd absorb a lot of the waste right?

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

No. Never trust LFS people, they WANT you to buy fish, they are like an over-indulgent parent with a financial stake in you having more....
    You can't fit any algae eater in there (even if you could, there's no guarantee they'd eat that algae, they don't just gobble anything).
    It's a new tank, isn't it? Just give it some time. The algae might disappear when the tank is established.
    (as for the betta chasing the tetras, bettas are territorial, he isn't having fun, he's trying to defend his area. It could turn out very badly (for both chased and chaser). Do you have another tank to put the tetras in?)

8. Digit

Digit Member

Makes sense about the lfs

The tank has been going for a few months, I was hoping to reach an equilibrium where algae/plants would eat fish waste, fish eat algae, and a betta as a nice centre piece. I'm reducing the time the light is on (now 6.5hrs from 8) but I was hoping it'd help the plants grow and moss cover the stump.

I don't have another tank set up, I've got a 6x2x2 at a mates but it was free and I haven't leak tested.

They've settled down now, it seems it was just the initial introduction.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

It is hard to reach an equilibrium in a small volume, because every little aspect has a high effect on the small total. Think about trying to balance what's in a tea mug as opposed to a swimming pool. One drop too much in the mug is disaster. One drop in a pool won't be noticed. You've got the fishy equivalent of a tea mug. Ditto plants-trying to keep a tiny pot full of plants alive is way harder than it is when you plonk them out in a garden bed. It's easy to overwater a pot. A garden has drainage. You've got a small, closed environment and it's up to you to supervise and keep things healthy by intervention.

A few months is still a new tank. Getting a tank established can take a lot longer than that. Now that you've added fish, whatever you had is now changed. You'll need to keep a careful eye on it, maybe do a lot more water changes.

Digit likes this.
  10. Digit

Digit Member

Took the glowlights back as they were nipping at my betta. Positive to come of it though, my water chems stayed rock solid for the week.

I'm still thinking a couple of oto cats or something else to eat the algae on the plants (how can you manually get hair algae off java moss!)

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Don't! Otos need pristine conditions and they are sensitive and will be stressed big time. Would you put a kindergartener in a small cubicle with a Rebel bikie? That's what it would be like.
    Focus on tank conditions and resist any temptation to add more fish. You can put a mystery snail in with a lone male betta in a 20L (I had them) but whether they'd eat whatever algae you've got is another story (and it MUST be a mystery snail, not some other type-the type that can only breed if you have two snails, not the hermaphrodite types that will overrun any tank). Give it time, it's not uncommon to get a succession of algal blooms when a tank is new, they come and they go. Be patient. You "fix" it by focusing on tank conditions.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. jayc

jayc Member

Don't get otos for hair algae, they won't eat that. Only Siamese Algae Eater will eat that, but your tank is too small for them.

afcca, Digit and MUTMAN like this.
  13. afcca

afcca Member

So, first update in furrever.. My office tank has been a disaster for the last year and a bit and I have no idea why so I've gutted it and am starting fresh somewhat. The HMFs for those of you playing at home are gone and I've made my old 3ft into a simple sump with a DIY overflow much like my other tank has because quite simply I cannot be bothered with how freaking annoying those things are to clean. Yes they work, yes they are amazing but by god they suck when it is that time of the year. Yes I said year. Once a year I needed to clean them, and it was a huge task and would absolutely trash the tank, spill water everywhere and cause a huge amount of mess no matter what method I chose to clean the sponges... The best method of cleaning is actually taking them outside and bashing them on the brick wall - problem with that... the house gets covered in gunk. As do I. Is fun. Second option is using a large container of ex tank water to rinse them - nowhere near as effective at cleaning, like maybe 60%-70 no matter what you do due to the ppi of the stuff I have but still works, just a shit of a job. Still in the process as the sponges are in the tank and absolutely chockers with detritus when they come out, the tank gets trashed and because these filters are slow moving it takes quite a long time for them to clean it out...

So... they're gone. As are most of my fish from the last few years, I've had a bad patch :( This is what the tank looks like now:

upload_2019-9-2_3-51-3.png

Big change. Pumps are not final, will replace them at some point with a proper wavemaker, but they are the ones that were behind the HMF's (1000L/hr) and are just there for moving water around in addition to the current pump from the sump which isn't actually powerful enough for now. Need to get a 4000l/hr one as the one I have seems to be lower than 3k. I have a 5k on Bruce's tank and had to put a ball valve on it because the overflow couldn't handle the full output but this one seems to be able to handle a lot more water because of an adjustment I made so I may even try a 5k.

Stocking wise I'm thinking a lot of little fish this time. I had congos before and they were nice but not very colourful. I'll always keep my clowns as I'm obsessed. Maybe a huge school of cardinals or barbs. I really wanted redline torpedo's before they became noxic..

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I had pristella tetras in my tank. They don't look like much in the shop or in pictures online, but they look nice in real life, they shimmer silver and are pretty. I recommend them and would definitely have them again if I could ever have fish again.

15. afcca

afcca Member

They kinda remind me of the diamond tetras I had, they were so freaking pretty if sunlight hit them but my light did them no justice.

I think it was partially due to the fact half the LED's had blown and it was only a white/blue setup. All the blues are gone now so its kinda boring. I've ordered a new one today that has a proper RGB system and hopefully is a lot better as I need a new one on Bruce's tank too.

It had one of those T8 ballast systems and the ballast is dead, so I put the lamp from my 3ft that is now the sump on there for the time being and it blew the bulb finally after almost a decade and they're like $30 so I just figured screw it and have ordered the light instead. Half broken LED goes onto the tank that doesn't need plant spectrum and the display tank gets the good one.

A dozen of different types of tetras would be interesting. Someone - I think Japes - recommended Lemons a while back. I have limited access at my LFS but Livefish.com is pretty good and there are some decent stores in Brisbane.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

17. afcca

afcca Member

It's a screen grab from a video, I didn't have a picture and I posted it at 4am and everything was off.

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

arrr, ok.
    i thought the fishes had connectivity to the www :)

afcca likes this.
  19. afcca

afcca Member

[​IMG]
    New light has arrived, looks pretty good. Now to rebuild this thing slowly. Excuse the glare, it is bright today...

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

any fishes gunna have a new home ?