General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

What cories are you going to get?

2. afcca

afcca Member

As in current ones or new? The current occupants are staying as they are all friendly, there are only 8 at the moment. I think. I quite like friendly tanks in here so will slowly be populating it with colourful tetras probably.

There are a few bronze cories still remaining (3 I think) but I'm a massive fan of the peppered ones so will get some more of them. Unsure about much else at this stage. Money is thin so this will be a slow process.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Tetras are OK. i guess I'm not the biggest fan as i bought heaps of them (like several dozen) at great expense and just watched them slowly disappear. I really should of checked compatibility so it's on me.
    Let me just say that my 9" BGK was just having the time of his life..

Probably not compatible and yet another bottom dweller, but yo-yo loachs are a barrel of fun in groups of five or more. They're fast and energetic, but can be a little nippy.

Anything else ?

4. afcca

afcca Member

I have BGK in there at the moment and he's pretty happy with everything as long as it's alive and he is fed. I have been thinking of moving him for a while but he isn't really big enough to go with Bruce, nor is he really the kind of fish to do so as he hides all the time and that tank doesn't really have anywhere for him to hide. Dunno. Could go in the bedroom tank just in case? *shrug*

I've had yoyo's in the past, cool lil' guys, but not in a long time. I absolutely adore clowns but they are so hard to find at a decent size without paying through the nose.

The QLDAF has an auction coming up in a few weeks so I might snag some interesting bargains there, never know what I'll end up with. Last time I came home with a pair of 333s for next to nothing.

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yep, that's what i thought about mine too :D In fact the first thing I actually noticed was that he wasn't coming out in the early evening to get feed like all the others.
    Then I thought, ummm, I thought I had more Tetras ..? ..? ..
    Not many days later I caught a loach with a tetra tail hanging out of it's mouth, and thought it was the loachs hammering the tetras.
    But no, it seems he was just cleaning up, as it was the BGK just running amok.
    At night once the lights went down I could hear him whooshing around and then small big crunch noises as he'd nail a poor little tetra.

Trust me about the BGK, if a fish doesn't have any defenses and it fits in the BGK's mouth, he will eat it :thumbup:

6. afcca

afcca Member

This is pretty much the rule for any fish at all, but I've seen the behavior vary from fish to fish way too much for it to be 100% accurate. Mine has been living with the cories in there for almost 2 years and hasn't touched them - me on the other hand he will bite happily. Another interesting one I've noticed is catfish won't eat other catfish most of the time having kept quite a number of extremely small different cases in with Bruce who is a monster. His mouth could quite easily fit my fist and I had cookoos in there at one point and he ignored them completely, but something that was half his size that I thought would be fine he gobbled immediately overnight /sigh. It's like in the really big aquariums, Cairns has a fantasic one that has well over a thousand fish including a grouper I think all the way down to the tiny little things - as long as the ecosystem is balanced and everything is well fed and maintained harmony can exist.

All of that being said, I did mention I've thought about moving him. The issue with that is catching anything in that tank is a nightmare.. whoever built it is a moron as the centre structural support takes up a third of the tank :Paranoid:

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Ages ago, my filter broke down and I lost all my fish. My tank has just been sitting there, I was going to sell it, but getting around to it hasn't happened.
    The last posts are making me think I could put some fishies in again.
    What would I need to do insofar as cleaning it? It's been full of water, it did have plants in there, so there'd be some "soil" in under/among the pebbles. Would I need to take all the pebbles out, or could I restart it leaving the pebbles in, just empty the water and vacuum a bit?

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

broccoli
    Should be easy enough to get the tank back up and running
    grab a filter and fill the tank and dose with "prime" or other water ager, and let it run for a week or two
    after the usual algae bloom its time to start
    do small water changes/gravel vac
    if you know someone local that can share some filter media or even some gravel that'll be heaps to kick start the filter bacteria
    and for two or three little guppies there will be enough water volume that they arn't 'cooking' in their own waste

grab a short length of pvc pipe. fish love to hang out in there once they get used to it's existance.
    once the fish is in the pipe just close off the ends and move.
    easy as :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. Digit

Digit Member

Hey guys, looking to buy a 3ft x 1.5 x 1.5 200l tank, and just trawling local gumtree and playing with stocking idea's. What do you think about this list for that tank?

1375.png

How do you reckon the blue acara would go as the showpiece, and two harems of apisto's with habitat either side and tetra as a dither and some cleanup crew as well. I'm not planning on breeding the apisto's in this tank, but if I get pairs maybe moving the females to their own tank (2ft??) and dropping the males in to breed? Then back to the display tank, but i think that setup would require a LOT of tanks in operation, and we're renting

10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Pretty heavily stocked, I can see some aggression coming from the apisto groups but you may get lucky. Provide enough cover/decoration/plants, definitely at least get or make some caves. Acara should be fine if the apisto's don't bully it.

I find apisto's don't really care for dither fish but it may bring out that pleco a bit more often depending on its age.

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the tank is too small for the pleco, or will be in no time at all.
    but yes, thats heavy on the stock

12. Digit

Digit Member

Cheers for the advice guys. I've done some more reading and think I'll change the cardinals to black neons, and maybe not go for two apisto groups. Borellii's are said to be on the very passive side, so shouldn't bully the Acara, but it may bully them?

I think the Bristlenose only gets to 5" so, 13cm? I think that'd be okay.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Yer, 5"s of pooping machine :)
    If you like them sure go for it, just go in eyes open

Digit likes this.
  14. Digit

Digit Member

Okay, so I got a 90g tank (120 * 60 * 45), with a sump (with pump and spare pump), heater, stand, breeding tank, eheim canister filter. loads and loads of stuff!

Now, how to go about setting it up? I'm thinking heavily planted, with lots of driftwood, and a fine black substrate (as I've read that's what the dwarf cichlids like so they can eat crap from the sand and re-decorate. So, I need some suggestions.

1. What is a good black sand substrate that doesn't cost as much as Seachem fluorite black sand, but can still support plants? or do i just get root tabs or something? If so, what's good?
    2. Where do you guys recommend getting driftwood for as cheaply as possible?
    3. What plants do you recommend if I'm not going to bother with CO2?

I've got some time to play around while the tank cycles etc, but this is my new stocking list/ideas. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

1. If you're going with plants, go with a more coarse sand, go too fine and it'll actually impede root growth because of how sand can pack down. Save a bunch of money, buy a generic sand or fine gravel and run with root tabs or liquid ferts.
    3. Can't go wrong with java ferns, anubias, crypts and vall. Slow growing, low light and need no attention. You may be able to go for some of the less demanding stems depending on your light situation.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Good luck with that.... I got mine from a local aquarium shop. It still cost a bomb though it wasn't as bad as I'd seen elsewhere.
    [/QUOTE]3. What plants do you recommend if I'm not going to bother with CO2?[/QUOTE]Just make sure they are proper aquarium plants and not submerged normal garden plants. Also, check how invasive they are. I had something and it went wild. That's ok if you'll always want it, but otherwise, you need to be careful what you stick in because you'll never get rid of it.

17. slugworth

slugworth Member

1. A cheap black sand may be hard to find. Pool filter sand or play sand (make sure free of additives) are common cheap substrates.
    2. Driftwoord from a shop is $$$. Can collect your own from a creek, make sure its not a National Park though
    3. Java Fern, moss, Vallisneria, Hygrophilla, anubias will live although not thrive.

Digit likes this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Go slowly whatever you do. Add plants before fish. Get your scape all sorted out before slowly adding fish in stages.

Edit - get the filter sorted first and start the cycle before anything else

Digit likes this.
  19. Digit

Digit Member

Thanks for the tips, I had access to lamdscapes sand, which I'll end up using. It's pretty fine, but I might try gravel below it so it doesn't get too deep and compact.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into those plants.

3. What plants do you recommend if I'm not going to bother with CO2?[/QUOTE]Just make sure they are proper aquarium plants and not submerged normal garden plants. Also, check how invasive they are. I had something and it went wild. That's ok if you'll always want it, but otherwise, you need to be careful what you stick in because you'll never get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah our LFS (Majestic Aquariums), has some lovely pieces, flip the price tag over and holy damn, $70+ for a single piece!

Think I'll check gumtree

Good idea on the plant invasiveness too.

Are there certain types of tree's that can't be used as driftwood? I was reading online that some don't recommend eucalyptus, which is a pity because i find great fallen euc branches that have hollowed out all the time.

Definitely! I plan on hardscape, plants, fish (slowly). In my betta tank i have enough plants (and algae), that I've never had an issue with ammonia/nitrite/nitrates.

Do you even need to water change if your parameters are 0? I have been but wondering if it's necessary. There are plenty of vids online of no water change tanks.

20. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

yes still need to do water changes well should do water changes as the TDS values will sill climb. as for cheap plants Java ferns are great, I've managed to grow mine from clippings of leafs that i got by accident when i got some Ludwigia, now the ferns have all but taken over the tank. so maybe ask the local shops of they have any trimmings? it will take time though.

Digit likes this.