1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'd love to have another attempt one day.
    but the loaches take great delight in digging up everything. literally everything.
    maybe once the loaches move on I'll try a smaller nano tank with some plants and shrimp ... but thats a few years away

2. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

i'd go planting what you want with root tabs before going to aquarium soil, in my former 3ft planted tank i ran ADA Malaya but I only had java ferns, Ludwigia and Java moss(tried other plants monte carlo, chain sword but the Corydora love to dig) the Malaya was great but the cycling took so long ended up being 6-8 weeks? from memory (was 3years ago)

Digit and MUTMAN like this.
  3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

A sword would take over given time. I would leave it for a while. Mind you, I havent played with LEDs for a few years. CO2? I gave up when tetras eat the whiptail fry!?

4. Digit

Digit Member

Cheers for the advice guys, I got a few simple plants and threw them in (crypts of some type and val). I'll order some root tabs from lca. I also got a trio of Apistogramma agassizii alenquer, I had planned on a Panduro pair but the male Alenquer was displaying and looked too good to pass up. Just means I need another tank for the Panduro ;) hehe

Here's a quick update photo. Tannins are looking good.

20200721_190032.jpg

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I would trim the Vals a little. Also leaf litter will create lots of hiding spots for the Apistos. Looks good.

Digit likes this.
  6. Digit

Digit Member

Will do thanks for the advice! I've got some indian almond leaves in there at the moment, slowly adding them but they're a bit expensive, have you used any leaves from tree's you can find around the place?

7. h4xx0r

h4xx0r Member

fish_comporess.jpg

Planted tanks aren't too hard, its more of a cost thing and is hard to do on a strict budget though.

The main thing is if you want any plant to carpet (hardest plants to grow) you'll need the things below:

1. Lights
    • There are a heap of options here though, from $200-1000+
    • I personally run a Fluval 3.0 planted which is around $300-400 but better led drivers come around these days too, the best bang for buck is currently a Chihros Vivid2 RGB but we get completely rorted here in Australia for prices and stock. ($600-700 with mounting hardware)
    • Also you'll want to get a timer of some sort if you get one which doesnt have an inbuilt one, the wifi home life stuff works very well here.
    • If you have to go ultra budget, then you can get the 40-60W LED flood lights but they die pretty quickly (mine died in around 6 months) and are pretty average in terms of actual power coming in around 50-60% of their rated power.
    • The Asta 120 lights are quite good as well (you can find these on Amazon). Since they're a single diode with a lens, you can get that awesome light shimmery effect that make it look really dynamic. These are around $120 each, and you'll need 1 per 30-45cm of tank.
    • There are also Beamsworks and Finnex that you can get online, but after currency conversions these budget lights cost a fortune.
    2. CO2 injection
    • Probably the most important thing for any planted tank
    • Dialing in the amount of CO2 is something you do over time
    • Generally the cost is around $250 ($100 for a 2.6kg tank + $150 for the regulator)
    • You can use any sort of diffuser ($20 cheapies from your LFS or $80+ for nice branded ones), they're usually more for better glass work and a slightly better ceramic diffuser, but it doesnt matter too much, you can also get inline diffusers if you dont wanna clog up your tank with extra things hanging in there.
    • You can go down the DIY route, but to redo the yeast every week is a maintenance item that I didnt want to do. The cost of admission here is $30-40 if you buy a kit from ebay.
    3. Planted substrate
    • There are many different options here but I find the branded aquarium specific soils to be best.
    • I'm personally a fan of ADA amazonia, and I know its quite expensive but for ease of use and it not breaking down over time I think its worth the price of admission. It makes it easier to plant and has ammonia in it so you can start your tank cycling quickly. Also it has a bunch of nutrients that help with plant growth.
    • I have used sand in the past but I find that it doesnt allow carpetting plants to get a good root hold. For stem plants its fine. If you go with an inert soil like sand or something similar, you'll need to get root tabs, they sell these at bunnings, osmocote make them for underwater specific purposes. You will also need these after about 1 year with aquarium soils because the nutrients get used up.
    4. Fertilisers
    • These are important just like its important for any plant growth.
    • I'm personally a big fan of Seachem Flourish Excel. I dose it every day, have shrimp and it works great at controlling algae, and adding an extra little bit of CO2 for the plants. Be careful using this as it has glutaraldehyde, and can make you blind, so make sure you wash your hands after using it and cleaning up the tank.
    • I also dose some extras and am currently using the 24hr aquarist multi fert.
    5. Water changes
    • After all the money things, the next big ticket thing that you need to do is 30-40% water changes every week, this is a non negotiable, as it does a few functions. It reduces the amount of overall fertilisers in the tank and reduces waste in the tank. This reduces algae growth significantly because many algae thrive on dead plant matter releasing minerals into the water column (phosporous for black beard algae etc).
    I think that these are the big ones, if there are any questions lemme know.

[Edit] Was meant to add that, you can do plants without all the above, this is mainly to highlight what is required for EASY plant growth. I find that if you don't go down this path, that the plant growth is either very hard or the plants just die, and when this happens it very disheartening and just stops people going into the planted tank hobby.

Thanks

h4x

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    fredhoon, .Radiant, Lupuscrux and 3 others like this.
  8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I havent, but years ago japes recommended oak and I think plane tress. I imagine catfish could cause some issues with them.

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Lights are the hardest bit to nail in Australia for planted tanks IMO.

It's hard to gauge what light you'll need or want without buying a few diff lights, especially if you've got a bigger tank. The fluvals are nice for the shorter tanks, anything taller than say 40cm you'll want to start looking at stuff like the AI Primes or the Kessil pendants IMO. Dymax have put out their SpaceX lights which look alright. Frank over at Makemyled does some good aussie built lights but his calculator under guns it a bit. Either way you're probably looking as much on the lights as your tank + stand.

10. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I have a delicate question to ask, about a particular type of snail I'm looking to acquire... Reckon anyone on here could help a dude out? PM me maybe?

11. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

My current African Display Tank
    10x2x2x
    Enjoy

MUTMAN and Jacom like this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sick lids you got there :thumbup:

n3wbi379 likes this.
  13. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Fantastic.

What's your filter set up like?

14. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

6 foot sump.
    20190527_172919.jpg

Johnbu, fredhoon and MUTMAN like this.
  15. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

'Only' 6 ft. Haha. Fantastic.

Heater in the sump? Can't see it.

Is thr tank recessed in the garage or in a commercial environment?

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

iirc, its in his lounge.... I suggested a black boarder around the outline on the plaster, but it didnt work ????
    upload_2020-9-19_9-46-1.png
    heaters ??

17. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Oh yeah, I thought it was that but looks very compact from that angle.

If inside, I expected to see some floor covering.

I've seen some custom setups in garages where one side is viewable from the lounge room.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  18. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Correct.
    This is my new setup now.
    Pulled the wall down and built it back up with a 3m tank.
    20190603_154010.jpg 20190307_204509.jpg 20190226_092540.jpg

19. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Tank and filters sot in the garage mate but viewed from the living room.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

wow. the new setup is very nice :thumbup:
    have you considered painting that white casing frame around the tank ?
    a black frame would make it visually pop :)