1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i think the rule of thumb is above 3ppm of ammonia (but depends on ph) for a couple of weeks before the nitrite bacteria begin
    and keep them below 40ppm for the nitrate bacteria
    you should leave the water and do small changes only if the levels go crazy.
    maybe get a water sample and get it tested at a LFS just as a sanity check for your test kit.

edit its been a decade or two since i cold started a tank. best check my numbers with others first :thumbup:
    and one type of ammonia is no good to start. drop your ph under 7 for the "good" ammonia

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

An update.

About a week ago (beginning of "Week #3"), I began building Nitrites in the tank - I was building towardss 0.5ppm, with no detectable nitrates. The ammonia was still sitting around 3-4ppm, so I left it be. However, I had to do a small water change to stick some plants onto driftwood, and despite using the same water that I took out of the tank to put back INTO the tank, the progress of the cycle appeared to stall out and my nitrites drops back to near undetectable levels again.

So, yesterday I went down to Mad Aquariums and purchased some pre-cycled Matrix to throw into my filter. 18 hours later, my ammonia is still high (3-4ppm) and my nirites are beginning to creep back up (0.1-0.2ppm currently) but I now also have detectable nitrates (about 5.0ppm) thanks to the pre-established colony. I'll leave the tank to run this week and perhaps by the end of the week the ammonia levels will have dropped low enough that I need to start dosing ammonia again.

Fish tanks hey

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

good to see you made progress. another week and it'll be cracking.
    those nitrite and nitrate bacteria spread fast :thumbup:

4. Digit

Digit Member

Sounds like you're pretty close to being fully cycled if you're now reading Nitrates

5. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

You might be right. Today's testing revealled skyhigh Nirtrites, and a growing concentration of Nitrates. Ammonia is slowly dropping, which is great - it's been around 4-5ppm for a couple of weeks now, but now seems to be around 1.5-2ppm

Moving way ahead, I was wondering if anyone in this thread in the brissy area would be willing to look after my tank in the middle of this year for 5 weeks? Reason being that I'll have to go to Townsville in June-July for placement. I'd be happy to transport the tank to your place and set it up (the lights are automated, and there's no CO2) so it'll only require top-ups, lean ferts, and perhaps a couple of water changes. As a trade, I'm more than happy for anyone to take any plant and moss clippings they want, and any fry that happen to spawn.

In all its ugly-phase, diatome-infested, mid-cycle glory:

[​IMG]

(i actually love how natural it looks in its current state. it's a shame the camera reflections make the photo look blurly cos it's actually crystal clear in-person)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  6. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Hello everyone!

Any advice for an inline solenoid that you've had good success with? The one that came in my CO2 Kit has a leak

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

nfi on the solenoid.
    did you get any takers on the tank placement ?

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I'll keep hunting around stores online to see what I can find. Seems $50-60 will get me something, just don't know how reliable it is!

No takers yet on the tank minding. I may have to half-drain it and take it on the road! (i have a spare battery powered air pump I could attach to some filter sponge)

[​IMG]

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

If you get to a week or two away from going and get stuck yell out.
    no promises as my work is about to change location too (great wishy washy thursday afternoon call from the boss :( )

how big is that tank ? 600mm cube ?

10. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Can do! Ugh sorry to hear about the work situation though!

It's 500x350x350 total, but the filter chamber takes a bit of that 500mm away... All up, 15Gal (Waterbox Peninsula 15 Mini)

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I would stick my hand up to tank sit but I don't have anywhere to put it sorry. The only possible place gets full morning sun and would quickly turn your tank into an algal mess as my tanks currently are.

Plus the missus would kill me. She has already sold one of my spare mini-reef tanks that I hadn't set back up yet.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

All good chief! Thanks for reaching out regardless!

13. callan

callan Member

I fear the worst, and just going checking with the hive mind. 2 medium-ish size goldfish, 90L tank. PH 6.9 Water perfect, 0 ammonia, nitrites, low nitrates, water clear.
    The smaller fish has suddenly become somewhat floaty. Most of the time he? seems ok-ish, but as soon as any short of change happens (even turning on the light) he "faints", floating to the surfaces, in all appearance dead. Other times he just plummets to the bottom, floating tail-up, nose to the gravel, motionless.
    He recovers about 30 minutes later, but seems very fragile, spending most of his day hiding behind the thermometer in one corner. There are no visible infections, and he's not pine-coning
    I fear he's on his last ?fins?. amirite? Is it clove oil timel???

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you can try the blanched pea thing ??
    not sure how it goes with Goldie's though

good luck

Digit likes this.
  15. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

what's the deal with warranty etc when diseased petbarn fish wipe out your whole school of existing fish? :(

went to Petbarn a couple of weeks ago, mainly to get some small plants for my 50L freshwater setup, and decided to also grab 6x baby neon tetras to boost the population - i was down to 9 of my tetras, normally they breed 1-2 surviving offspring at roughly the same rate that they die of old age, but over the last few years they've died at a slightly faster rate than they've been breeding (this is just natural births in my tank, no fancy breeding setup or anything, sometimes i just get some freebies). max i've ever had in the tank was 15.

i would have bought the original old ones probably 8 to 10 years ago, or more...not sure, but most/all of the current batch might have been born here, not exactly sure. water numbers are perfect, always maintained, adequately filtered with a fluval 106.

so, 12 days after the purchase, i notice a dead old tetra out of nowhere, and that about half the old tetras are teeming with ich/white spot. i guess it must have either come on very strong, very quick, or i just hadn't looked at them/noticed in the days before that. so the moment i noticed, i went back to petbarn and gave them $12 for some medicine for the disease they sold me. followed dosing directions precisely, at half dose for tetras as instructed on the packet. that was 52 hours ago, 2 days plus a bit. all my old tetras are now dead, other than one, which is a juvenile, would have hatched a few or more months ago.

the new tetras (5, as it turns out, because the bag only had 5 in it, which i realised when i got home) are alive - no external signs of ich, though one of them did have the beginnings of a spot or two when i first dosed. they are acting a bit funny but seem mostly fine. and the juvenile old one likewise looks physically mostly fine (but so did the 3 old big ones that died today - the first couple to die were the ones that were bristling with spots)

petbarn warranty page says:

At Petbarn, we're confident that the fish that leave our stores are happy and healthy. However, in the event that you experience a problem, we will happily guarantee your new fish purchase for 30 days, so long as your fish has been placed into a suitable environment.

They were aware of the issue, as i found out when i was offered assistance while i was browsing for ich medicine - it was probably through their entire stock, not sure if Petbarn walls of fish are all cycling the same water...they said that they were dosing theirs, the disease came from the supplier, and reckon that it can/does happen to all fish suppliers.

as a side note - we're members with them, so they have our phone number. am i out of my mind to think they have an obligation to contact customers that they can easily trace, for fish sales in the relevant period of time, once they realise they have a disease outbreak??

anyway...what's the general consensus on collateral damage? not their problem, i'm guessing?

i'm pretty pissed off.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sorry to hear about the loss.

I'm hyper watchful with what goes in the tank these days, I've had some of my loaches for almost 20 years.
    one loach, last fish to go in the tank about 6 years ago, is possibly ~27~28 years old ...

a quarantine tank certainly would help, but just no new fish and being paranoid about the water is where I'm at ...

DarthWindu likes this.
  17. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

This...

Quarantine tank - it's the only way to be sure. I learned early on never trust a fish shop, especially a chain store. Plenty of people will have stories of never Quarantining new arrivals over the years without issue however it only one bad batch to ruin your week/month.

Quarantine / hospital tank is also hand for med treatment as it's easier (and cheaper) to dose a smaller tank.

DarthWindu likes this.
  18. Digit

Digit Member

Bloody oath that sucks! I think you could chat to them, but I wouldn't expect you to get anywhere. I think even most LFS wouldn't really cover the loss of existing fish, but you'd hope they have their own quarrantine system and this might’ve been avoided? But honestly could happen to anyone

DarthWindu likes this.
  19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

When I kept fish, I steered clear of pet shop chains.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

chain, independant, gumtree randoms
    dont trust any of them
    dont impulse buy fish
    do the second tank thing, it doesnt have to be big

you can grab a small tank with a hang-on filter for not much $$$
    none of this helps DarthWindu right now :(

DarthWindu and fredhoon like this.