General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Setting up a quarantine system is your best bet in future. Can't think of any store near me that has a proper quarantine system, every store I've seen dumps their fish straight from the distributor into their display tanks. If they spot any issues they'll quarantine that particular tank after the fact. Some do take a bit more care with their handling and all that but there's just too much volume and not enough floor space in most shops to have dedicated quarantine.

Grab the kmart special if you're keeping small fish, fill the filter with some sponge from your existing setup whenever you do want/need to quarantine.

DarthWindu, fredhoon and MUTMAN like this.
  2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

There were a few places that I trusted down here, more than others. They were owned and run by fishy people. There is only one left in Hobart. Sometimes I would order fish and would pick them up before they got put into tanks. I did grab one shops fish from the airport and watch the quarantine person look at tiny fish and try and ID them. :D

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so i went looking into this "how old is my loach?" and it seems I started caring for the bugger in mid/late 2011
    so gmphoto said he was 20~21 years old when i grabbed him (iirc???)
    so it's possible this very funny fat loach is getting onto 30 years old !!!!
    he/she is still very much the king/queen of the tank, but 3 of the other loachs have really caught up in size now

4. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Hey guys I got a goldfish tank, it's 87L.

I have two x Shubunkins, a fantail and 1 comet.

Lately after doing partial water changes (I do 35/87L) 40%
    one of the shubunkins and the fan tail keep shimmering up to the comet, and the comet is flying around the tank trying to get away from them.

It's not aggressive or anything, they just get close to the comet and invade his space.
    What is this behaviour? and Why does it happen after water changes. Give it a day or two and all is back to normal.

My comet is getting little bruises because of it, from him running around the fish tank.

5. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

cold water triggering breeding behaviour maybe?

the_fuzz, Daft_Munt and MUTMAN like this.
  6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My Nautilus 800 appears to be leaking somewhere from the head after just under three years of operation. Given the leak is in the top, it can only be the seal in the tap or the primer pump... I'm thinking tap (assuming the sealed pump itself isn't cracked somewhere I can't see). For $25 for a replacement part, that's my mission for tomorrow. Sadly the local place I was at today didn't have the parts I needed so I've stripped it down and cleaned and added some lube to all the seals to help seat them nicely and we will see how things go in the short term.

The filter sits in a bucket and the leak looks very slow so I should have plenty of time, but not something I want to leave unattended.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

what a PITA
    at least you can still grab spares :thumbup:

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Update, so it looks like it’s leaking faster than I thought and the real pita is that I can’t run it and see where it’s leaking. Still 90% confident it’s the tap though.

I’ve been monitoring the bucket fill rate and I’m not 100% confident it will make it through the night without over flowing unless I get a larger container. I’m also not super keen on taking the filter offline for 12 hours+ until I can get parts.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

don't feed the tank and it'll be fine without the filter.
    There will be bacterial on every surface of the tank. so it's not completely stuffed :)

if you can put the filter media into a mesh bag and leave it in the tank then once the pump is back running you'll have lost nothing in terms of good bacterial

if you have a powerhead just aim it at the media. all will be good :)

edit - ultimate paranoid mode. do small (5%) water changes every day until sorted. get a powerhead in there to keep things moving :)

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Digit and the_fuzz like this.
  10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Nope, just the filter and an air pump for bubbles. I’ve put it into a large tub for now but am considering turning it off for the night and closing the tap (as that seems to stop the leak).
    It will get sorted with a new tap after 10am then if that doesn’t fix it I’ll have to bite the bullet and just get a new filter at about 1pm ;)

Reports seems very mixed on what is the best option in this scenario. Is 12 hours really that bad for the filter to sit turned off with no flow? Or just fine as long as it gets back to running after that?

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  11. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

The mixed evidence you're getting is because:

A filter without an ammonia source = no problem
    A filter without an oxygen source = big problem

Turning off the filter will deplete the levels of dissolved oxygen - some will still passively diffuse into your filter water, but that's a far cry from the oxygen they'd get when the filter is running.

If you're gonna turn it off, I'd angle a powerhead or internal filter into the in-flow of the cannister... But i suspect that'll continue the leaking?

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

13. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

So it was down for 9 hours until I woke up and turned it back on. In the 1.5-2 hours it took from there to getting home with the new filter the bucket it was sitting in filled to the top, so a great call in turning it off last night.

I've just replaced the aqua stop/tap thing from the new filter setup, apparently, the other place I drove to today doesn't stock the tap but can order it in.
    Assuming this fixes the leak, all well with the world and it confirms the tap seals were the problem. If not I'll swap over the whole top assembly which effectively replaces every seal in the unit but lets me keep the existing canister and all media inside it... if that were to fail I could then move to swap over the canister itself while retaining the filter media.

I've been having a hunt around for a seal kit for the tap, but am not having any luck. It seems that the only option is a complete tap unit for ~$25 which is fine, but seems a little wasteful when a handful of o-rings (well, eight) would rebuild the mechanism.

UPDATE: a few hours later and there doesn't appear to be any leaks, so I've ordered another tap to put into the box with the new filter... for later. Let's call it the $129 backup plan.

I'll test the water in a few days to see how it's going, but it's looking alright otherwise.

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. callan

callan Member

Auric was euthanised yesterday. We are all quite attached to him: but had to relieve him from his suffering.
    Not a fun job - but had to be.

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sad to hear callan :(
    but you've done the right thing

callan likes this.