1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Feeding is such a delicate balance.
    Once you're in tune with your tank it's easy, but that learning curve can be tricky.
    Rule of thumb applies to all fish, but it's still just a guide.

Got a pic ?

mAJORD likes this.
  2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Sorry hadn't replied for so long.. We ended up losing one sadly.. not sure why and it was a kick in the guts a bit , but hopefully wasn't our doing. The 3 left were pretty unhappy to say the least - I knew from reading they're happier in numbers, but I didn't realize how profound the difference is.. We got 3 more (so total 6) and within an hour 5 to all 6 (one sometimes seems to stay alone) were shoaling like crazy. Before this the 3 were just hiding constantly, and barely even coming out to eat. Completely came out of their shell's and showing their crazy personality i'd read about but hadn't witnessed too much of before.

Still struggling with feeding.. and keeping algae down, and keeping PH consistent (thanks to our tapwater COMPLETEY changing after the floods, and is like battery acid ) , all learning curve like you say I guess!

IMG_20220410_195658629.png

IMG_20220410_195707981 (1).png

and yes the water's a bit low in that pic!. I'd done a water change but hadn't finished filling back up to full level (took a bit too much out for the water I'd had ready)

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

they are tiny. thats going to be hard to judge the food alright !
    but, you'll get the experience soon enough. keep up the water changes and cleaning and the tank will thank you.
    i use a teaspoon to judge the amount i feed mine.

dirty secret here- i dont test the water parameters (or try to adjust them either) at all anymore. I temperature match and double dose the new water with 'prime' and thats about it. i figure i'm not doing too much wrong as the youngest fish in my tank is from around 2003

its a massive effect on the tank. i think they stress right out and its not good for their health.
    i have 9 clown loach and they like to hide at times so i have to provide dozens of places a frightened fish can zoom off to in a flash. the more hidey holes the happier they are.
    For the most part they are very comfortable - often sleeping out in the open at the front of the tank.
    I have to tiptoe past so as to not disturb them :D

when the tank is happy the fish will show their personality, this one is going on 28+ years old and likes to wedge himself in between the wood and the glass. I think he's trying to show me his belly :D ? I dont know ?? clowns being clowns i guess

loach.jpg

juzz86, fredhoon and mAJORD like this.
  4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

23 years holy shit. Massive respect! . You know i'm going to pick your brain more now though right..

how many tanks you have?

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

haha.cheers. but I'm no expert
    just the one 120gal tank with loachs :)

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

With dwarf corys, dont forget C. Habrosus (salt and pepper) plays nice with Pigmy. I cannot remember the third dwarf cory.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Doesn't sound like you're running into issues with shyness with the size of the school but might be worth getting some dither fish with those cory's. A few ember tetras or nano rasbora's (Maculata, Brigittae etc) would do the trick for your tank :thumbup:

Will make them feel a little more at home, they'll pay attention to the fish higher up in the water column and even swim around with them if they're of similar size. Will also help with the feeding situation as they'll help clean up whatever falls to the bottom.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

a couple of potato phone cam pixs of my loaches last night
    crap lighting and crap cam = the below
    luckily the fish are super cool to make up for it :)

PXL_20220529_070812837.jpg

PXL_20220529_070941163.jpg

PXL_20220529_071021917.jpg

PXL_20220529_070943148.jpg

juzz86 and fredhoon like this.
  9. taksan

taksan Member

This tank ....is not shit :thumbup:

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Oddly familiar username we haven't seen in this thread for a decade or am I confused ??
    Didn't you have a mega marine tank years ago ???