General Coffee + Cafes discussion

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Danske, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Danske

Danske Member

Howdy,

I've recently started getting back into takeaway coffee. I've analysed that if I have 1 coffee 1-2 days apart I don't get those damn caffeine deprived headaches. Although I've also deduced that if I have multiple coffees in one day, say 2, it won't effect the 1-2 day split. Which is great for the headaches, not so much for the sleep that night :lol:.

I mainly use loose change to purchase a takeaway coffee as the machines at work taste like ass. I've managed to find a cafe about 1 minute walk from my work that makes one of the best coffees I've had in Melbourne @ only $2.50 for a regular size ($6 with a bacon and egg muffin). The best I've had is from St Ali in South Melbourne.

But I was wondering, how much do we all spend on coffee on a weekly basis? Surely it adds up a lot as most cafes do coffees for $3.50 - $4.

I've worked out if I get 3 coffees a week that's $7, so $14 a fortnight and $28 a month, $336 per year. Which isn't too bad really. Who's worse than this :p. I know you're lurking out there!

:thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. power

power Member

pretty close to $5 a day for 16oz Merlo - love it, keeps me sane

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Industrial espresso machine less than 15 meters from where I sit.

Perks of the job. (Pun intended).

4. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

My stomachs recent intolerance for coffee dictated how much I spend on it. It used to be a large in the morning from the cafe downstairs (about $3.50) though. Never wanted more than 1, whenever I have more than 1 it ruins my appetite.

5. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I did the math on this not too long ago.

Regular FW = $4

5 x $4 = $20 per week

x 50 = $1000 per year (assuming just 2 weeks off for Christmas period)

So yeah, $1000 a year for the morning coffee. Mind you I tend to buy the beans from the coffee shop in 1kg bags to take home and grind up for my espresso machine and plungers too, so I'm pretty tempted to just bring one of my plungers in to the office and store my coffee in the fridge. Might have to invest in a Fridge Locker for the communal fridge to protect mah beanz... :lol:

6. Recharge

Recharge Member

whats annoying is knowint that the shot of coffee grinds they use, amounts to 15c, yet you pay 4-5.50 a cup? friken rape man.

why does it have to be sooo delicious?? :upset:
    and why does my body not like to deal with it any more? the hugemanaty!
    fuck you growing older! *sigh* /rant

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

Normally

2 - cappuccino's
    2 - Instant

So normally around $10 a day.

Dont normally drink coffee on wknd, dont need it cause im not at work.

8. aXis

aXis Member

I run the coffee machine fund at work, so basically just the cost of beans. About $1 a day lately for two short blacks. :)

9. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

$5.20 for a large, which looks like an Adelaide pint, so I'm guessing it's 425mL.

$52 per fortnight... circa $1300pa.

10. scon

scon Member

I will sometimes buy coffee but very rarely these days, the local place makes it for $3.80/cup.

We do have a decent coffee machine at home though and we go through about 250g of beans between the two of us every 10 days or so, which costs $12. So close enough to $0.50 per day.

11. BBITS

BBITS Member

I don't know how you people can drink cups of coffee any larger than 'small' but I had thought about this a couple of weeks ago. Partner and I were paying $4.50/cup for Merlo before work which was getting expensive, and she went to a conference and came back with a couple of those "keep cups" so now we just pay $6.50, three/four times a week for 2 Merlo's. And yes, i missed out for 48hrs last week and copped a huge caffeine withdrawal headache. :wired:

12. jackdaw

jackdaw Member

I lashed $800 four years ago on a machine - usually have 2 x long black with a splash of a weekday morning, sometimes a latte in the arvo and 4 each weekend day.
    Cost? around 20 - 30cents a cup.
    The Rancilio has paid for itself many times over.

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I wouldn't mind getting a machine for home. But I've heard those "aldi" style capsule coffee machines are OK but still not as good as normal takeaway coffee.

I also wouldn't mind making one with crazy science equipment. i.e. Bunsen burners and beakers etc :lol:. Why? Because it looks flippin radical!

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've got one of those. I think they're pretty good, considering the price.

The coffee pods are cheap, the taste is OK, and they're easier to clean than dealing with a grinder, plunger, espresso machine, etc.

Press button, drink coffee, walk out door.

15. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

1 nespresso coffee at home - approx 90c
    3-4 take away a day @ 2.50 each = $7.50 - $10
    Average $9/day x 5 days a week x 50 weeks = $2250 a year....... :sick:

16. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Lol, a budding Gale Boetticher.

I had an espresso machine at home but found I didnt use it much. I like to cut things fine on a weekday morning and dont typically drink coffee on a weekend.

We have one at work but by the time you grind the beans, make the shot, steam the milk and clean everything up afterwards... blergh.

17. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Honestly though wouldn't it look awesome to brew a coffee like that! Sure it would be a huge pain in the ass :lol:.

Actually I just remembered an instant coffee that is actually not too bad, Moccona French blend aint too shaby.

18. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

My choice of instant, the italian espresso style.

Unlikely to appease a genuine coffee snob, but it's tasty and has a decent kick to it.

19. Jaff

Jaff Member

Up until a few months ago I had around 1 take away coffee a day, and one each day. So wasn't too bad. At one point I went through a really shit period at work and getting out of the office was a good way to deal with it - during that period (6 months) I averaged 3 coffee's a day @ $3.50 each ($1,300.. :eek:).

A few weeks ago I picked up an Aldi coffee machine so I'm making one at home (substantially cheaper) before I leave for work, and then I'll usually pick one up during the morning. So my coffee intake has doubled, but costs are roughly the same.

20. randomman

randomman Member

Caffeine withdrawal headaches? Glad I don't get those...

I normally have a single coffee a day, varies from $3.50 to $4.60 depending on who we get it from. It is needed though. It doesn't help my concentration (probably the opposite actually) but it makes sure I don't fall asleep for a short while.