General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

Can't wait for my 11-16mm Tokina to arrive (purchased of these here forums)

2. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

True, although not sure about the 16-35VR from OS, would there be much of a saving seeing as it's over a grand?

3. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

16-35 locally is $1,899

$1,139.00 grey + $200 customs = $1339

I'd say it's worth it.

darth_wolf enjoy the tokina, fast UWA for <$600 what more could you ask for.

4. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

A faster UWA for >$500 ?

:Pirate:

5. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

I think it's less than $1900 locally, more like $1700-$1800 but still, I'd be saving a few hundred. :)

6. MrTanman

MrTanman (Taking a Break)

Is that assumed or they really are gone?

cheers

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Question (probably in the nooby sense haha), I've had my dslr since late may (so going on about 2-3 months now), and as of today its currently sitting at ~4,200 shutter actuations. Should I be worried about this rate? Considering they are rated for what, ~20-30,000? I think I can count ~1,000-1500 as test shots, testing different settings, lighting, lenses, etc etc just playing around. But yea, I know I should just be taking photos and not worrying, and when it comes to it and the shutter fails, replacing the shutter (expensive??) or replacing the body (thinking I might upgrade to the 70D when it comes out in 2013 ish, in terms of an upgrade cycle).... but yea, thoughts?

8. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

9. Statitica

Statitica Member

That's a fair rate of shots you got going on there. I managed to get just under 9000 in two years (purely amateur use), and I thought I spammed the shutter release. Don't let it stop you though, you got plenty of life left in it yet...

10. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea thats what I figured, cheers guys :)

Also, fuck yea the first flock of YN-565s are starting to show up on ebay. http://speedlights.net/2011/03/08/yongnuo-yn-565-discovered/ According to yongnuo it should be on their official ebay site tomorrow. Keen to get one :thumbup:

11. pop4

pop4 Member

I personally didn't see it with my own eyes, but the two people in our group who scouted ahead both said the same thing; I stayed outside the fencing with the rest of the group. Both had also been to the sheds before, so they'd have an idea of where the trams and bus should be. And I don't see why they would lie, as the ~15 of us were going there specifically to shoot the tram sheds; ended up walking over to Rozelle Bay and then back up Glebe Point Road to the Markets, where I had that encounter with the ignorant old lady.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  12. nakey

nakey Member

:D:D:D:D

I shouldn't feel this giddy about owning a camera that's about to be superseaded in a few weeks time, should i?

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You should.. its an awesome camera :)

14. nakey

nakey Member

IKR :D

gotta get use to the noise at high-ish isos... or the severe lack of it.. that and the "CLUNK" of the shutter

Sadly, not able to get a SB900, especially now with the Grey market price rise because of the fall in USD...

Tried my Manual focus lenses, and the 18-70DX in non-Auto DX mode too last night.

15. MrTanman

MrTanman (Taking a Break)

Thanks for the info. I was planning to go there this weekend :(

16. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Woo, the yongnuo yn565ex speedlight is finally on ebay from their official store, just about to order one..... because i'm too cheap to buy a canon 580ex2 and the yongnuo does everything I want/is basically feature identical to the 580 :p :thumbup:

17. Archades

Archades Member

All it needs it a rotary button...lol

18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Heh.

It's the chinese doing what the chinese usually do best.... having a total disregard for copyright and reverse engineering the shit out of everything :thumbup:

19. Archades

Archades Member

Too bad there isn't a standardized ttl system and flash systems could be added on open source, the possibilities would be unreal.

20. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

It would be grand, there would be so many chinese knockoffs for so little money it would be insane haha, but canon and nikon would never do it, too much markup/money on patents/r&d etc :(

Edit: upon reading the ebay page before buying, theres this note: "Note: Yongnuo YN-565EX doesn't support Wireless Master mode and High- Speed Synchronous." pretty much the only things missing compared to the 580EX2.... meh, I can do without :p

edit2: Purchased. weeee cant wait \o/ Also, paypal are fucking shit. It's listed for $180usd, or $174aud, but paypal charged me $181aud because of their transaction rate.... boooo! paypal bah! stupid currency, could have got it for $165 4 days ago :( Oh wells.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011