General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

If I were shooting motorsports in the way you do (eg, not just a casual tog), I would be shooting jpegs too.

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I know what the response is going to be (stop buying crap etc), but i'm thinking I want another lens.

I'm tossing up between something in the 70-200mm range, a wide angle in the 10-20mm range or a prime in the 30mm range.

What do you guys reckon? What would be more useful etc? I'm pretty keen on the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, for the wide angle maybe the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 or tokina 11-16mm/canon 10-22mm, or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

I figured I could get either the 70-200mm, or both the wide angle and the 30mm, and then later on/later in the year get whatever I didn't get. and I figure i'll probably sell the 28-75mm if I get the 70-200mm :)

So, what do you guys reckon? Stop buying more shit? Or which option? :p

:)

3. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

Buy shit when you know what shit you want. If you don't, you'll always question your purchase and whether you should have got something else.

4. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

RAW's take processing power (and time) to convert/process, if you're confident in your in-camera JPEG conversion settings, why waste time (especially for sports were you'll be bursting at a high frame rate and end up with heaps of photos) waiting for the conversion when you can just cull and be done.

Also, notice how much slower it is to load RAW images, especially with a large number.

If you need tweakability, shoot RAW, if you want quick and dirty, go JPEG.

(again, not a hard and fast rule).

Probably should have multi-quoted, don't tase me =/

5. Awesomesauce

Awesomesauce (Banned or Deleted)

or just get a better computer and do everything in raw.

or shoot something less boring than CARS.

6. Awesomesauce

I have a son who is 3.

when he sees a car he goes "OOH CAR!"

because he is 3.

7. jumpy

jumpy Member

Stop buying shit till you've found deficincies in your current gear. What are you mainly intending to shoot, landscapes, portraits, sport? what light etc, these are the questions you need to ask yourself. Edit: you'll want to keep the 28-75 as a walkaround, 70-200mm's aren't small.

Are you vindy's apprentice or something awesomesauce? Doing a good job, keep it up :thumbup:

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

This is true. I know I definitely want the Sigma 30mm, and i'm pretty keen on the Sigma 70-200mm (vs the canon f4l version, I think i'd prefer to have f/2.8 over getting the canon 'because its a canon L').

The only one i'm unsure of is the ultra wide, not sure if I should get the sigma because its cheaper but has a smaller aperture vs the tokina for its f2.8 but noisy af or again, the canon 'because its a canon'

*shrugs*

Maybe I should just get the 30mm to start off with and then go from there o_O

Yea true. Well I kinda have, in that I want a good lowlight hand held lens/for good bokeh, and the 50mm 1.8 is too tight, I want more reach (hence the 70-200mm, 75mm max reach in my current gear isnt that much) and the ultra wide for fun and for wider than 17mm... tho having said that 17mm is pretty wide.

The 17-50mm is my current walk around lens, the 28-75mm is nice tho, but the af is a bit slow (but less noisy lol).

I think I have this notion in my head that I wanna do portraits etc, hence the 70-200mm.... but yeaaaa maybe not?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. connico

connico Member

Don't know if I would use a 70-200mm for portraits..

10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Please stop Moda

You havent been shooting near long enough to know what you really want yet. Try everything you want with what you have.

Use your 50mm and move you feet.

85mm is considered a nice length for portraits, you pretty much have that when you consider 50 x 1.6

So yeah, go the option of stop buying shit and actually using what you have until you find a legitimate reason to upgrade it.

Alternatively if you have an obsessive compulsion to keep buying gear because its just what you do, go and buy everything you want and then sell it on here when you dont use it anymore. It's only money.

11. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea, I dunno, I just felt I kept reading about people using a 70-200mm for portraits etc? .... it would be useful for other stuff too tho.

I'm doing a fun photoshoot with the girlfriend this weekend so i'll see how that goes with the 28-75mm, yea.

I'm pretty keen on the 30mm 1.4, so I might get that in the next week or so.

Yea, you're right. I dunno why, but lately i've been feeling like buying shit and spending money. Sigh. I really have to stop. Probably has something to do with the fact that now I actually have money to spend as opposed to not :p At least most of this has all been just talk and no actual buying. *bangs head against wall*

Edit: also because sometimes I can be an ADD bastard. Bah!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

A 70-200 is fine for portraits - certainly my 70-200 f/4L has seen plenty of use in that capacity, but rather less so since I picked up an 85mm f/1.8.

Moda - in your place, I'd hold off buying more gear for the moment. Your 50mm is perfectly adequate for portraits.

To be honest, I'd consider flogging both your Tamron's, and putting that and the money you'd have spent on a 70-200 towards buying a single lens with the range you want and autofocus that doesn't suck.

13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea. I think for what i'm doing the 17-50mm works pretty well, autofocus is actually pretty good (way better than the kit lens, but thats not really saying much haha), but yea, just a bit noisy :p The 28-75mm on the other hand was just a quick buy for cheap, autofocus is slightly slower but less noisy, but i've found some use for it. Will see how it goes.

I think i'm going to follow deftones advice tho, gotta stop spending money and buying shit. Should just shoot with the gear I have.

14. MrTanman

MrTanman (Taking a Break)

Doesn't it make the face look flat?

15. vindicator

vindicator Member

I have no idea why 70-200s are so popular.

16. vindicator

vindicator Member

FTR, AS is my BRO tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh

17. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Sharp as.. might be one. ;)

18. vindicator

vindicator Member

Was referring to the focal lengths.

19. Xang

Xang Member

The 10-20mm will be pretty good at shooting between 10 and 20 mm.

The 30mm will be great for 30mm but not very good at 10-22mm.

The 70-200 is longer.

Btw, thinking of buying toothpaste or a TV, which will be more useful?

OK OK but you get my point

20. Awesomesauce

Me neither tbh.

Mate of mine called it 'the perfect walkaround lens'.

I was like :sick: