1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bueller

bueller Member

Hahaha me neither, I remember the first time I ever saw it I was like "WTF is that shit!"

Doesn't hurt that I have a friend who does the most over the top HDR'ing you've ever seen, makes me cringe every time he does an upload to FB. Still manages to get about a million people going "OMG THAT'S THE BESTESTORZ!!!! LOL"

2. jars121

jars121 Member

That is one of the most annoying things.

3. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea, I don't get HDR, it all looks crap :confused: Especially the overcooked ones, they just.... fucking suck. :tongue:

Did a test fit in my Lowepro Passport Sling, 5D3+24-105mm attached and the 17-40mm sitting in the other side fits perfectly, heaps of room to stash a stack of memory cards, batteries, microfibre clothes, (possibly CPL filter?), and all my personal shit (so sunnies et al).... even enough room to throw my 50mm 1.4 in for shits and giggles. It doesn't add that much more weight throwing the 50mm in either. Now the question is do I even bother, or do I just stick with the 2 lens setup?

/all of which is just procrastination from studying for my exam tomorrow :p

4. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

On the topic of backpacks, I know it's a longshot but does anyone have any experience with www.photobackpacker.com?

Considering picking one up (using a cheapo backpack at the moment with some dodgy foam inserts).

5. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Good HDR photos I reckon are those that you can't easily make out to be HDR.

Here's a question how often will you see yourself changing lenses? I ran into this question when I lugged my 70-200 to PMA and ended up just using my 24-70 the whole day: 1.5kg of dead weight.

6. Xassius

Xassius Member

7. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

i was at a county show today and I would totally understand why future SLRs+mirrorless systems will integrate is bluetooth for file sharing.

I resorted to taking a photo of my SLR screen to send a photo, but I would understand if cameras say 2-3 generations from now have some sort of 'send to' feature, which included in-camera resizing

Not saying that it would sway me at all, or I would use it much, but its something that's interesting.

8. Nafe

Nafe Member

Just wanted to say, I'm currently at the Le Mans 24 Hour...... and it's freekin epic. Lots of manual shooting to compensate for the headlights/driving lights, changing light, plus night time shooting etc. We're 4 hours into the race, I've already been up for over 12. Yikes. Only get 4 hours today and 4 hours tomorrow for shooting (I don't have a permanent track vest), and only 2 hours in the pitlane for the race, so I have a few hours to go until I hit the pitlane for some more night time slow shutter flash shots up and down the lane. camera got soaked in the rain yesterday during the Driver Parade through town, but both bodies, plus the 17-40 and 70-200 are just fine, along with the 580 II. Love weathersealing :D

9. Zee

Zee Member

This is what Canon's "Direct print" button wants to be, but doesn't know it yet...

Z...

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

When i was travelling i packed an EFS 18-55mm, 10-20mm and 30mm f1.4. I ended up only using the 10-20mm for daytime and 30mm for night. The EFS was dead weight even if it was light :tongue:

11. lithos

lithos Member

Dude, the whole point of them is not to look good, but rather to show off how l33t you are in Photoshop...because tech is a substitute for artistry these days, apparently.

"Er, it looks like a late-nineties Bryce 3.1 rendering."

"BUT I TOOK 40 SHOTS 1/3 OF AN EV APART TO MAKE THIS! THAT'S 40 LAYERS, MAN!"

12. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i think i saw you on tv :lol:

i hope you weren't behind the tyres when one of the LMP1 cars went into it & a wheel went flipping down through the photographers

13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea exactly, good HDR is when you can't tell it's HDR.... unfortunately 98% of HDR out there is extremely overcooked. :\

Well, I could see mainly sticking the 24-105mm on during the day, swapping to the 17-40mm if I want land/cityscapes, and then using the 50mm 1.4 at night/street shooting I guess. I mean, the 50mm doesnt really weigh that much. I guess i'll see when I go to actually go how much my bag weighs haha :p

Yea true, again, I guess i'll see when I go actually go, I mean, the 50mm doesn't weigh that much really, and could be handy for night/street.

Haha yea, so much overcooked crap :| Similarly i've got a mate who always posts stupid HDR, makes me sadface :s

14. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

Best travel kit I've used is 10-20, 50mm + p+s (say a s100.). Job done. Covers a lot of your bases until you really want to bring serious gear

15. aaaaah

aaaaah Member

Agh, I'm so jealous of you right now, I'd love to go see Le Mans!

Hope you get some quality shots dude.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im using the 24-105 mostly, and the only thing i wish it had was a bit more width and better low light. Low light for museums and width for landscapes. I have my 10-20 with me though, and also a 8mm Rokinon. The Rokinon has been awesome for European buildings, monuments and cathedrals etc. Really helps to convey the feeling of being tiny in such a huge area.

The 10-20 hasn't seen much use yet, although I've done a few landscapes with it. That said for stuff like the Heidelberg set I've been able to get far enough away for the 24mm to be wide enough.

I have my 70-200 and 2x tele on me as well, although it gets left in the hotel/car most of the time. Was great at the Nurburgring, and should be good at Hockenheim, Sillverstone and Goodwood. If we weren't doing those four then i would have left it behind in a heart beat.

The one i think i would like would be a 35/2 or similar, for the width and low light for museums. The 50 1.4 would be ok, but its still quite narrow on the 7D.
    Oh and the other good trick i have found is putting your camera bag (Thinktank 10 in my case) into a backpack for the flights, that way you have room to store other stuff like travel documents, headphones etc, and still have a second bag for when you are in country. Its a bit harder if you are backpacking though, we are travelling by car most of the time, so the only real time we have to lug our bags is up to the hotel room.

Oh and its also good that all my gear fits neatly into the TT10 if needed.

17. Power47

Power47 Member

can anyone tell me if i purchase a copy of lightroom 4 or Cs6 from adobe do i get a licence to use it on windows and osx? or do i have to choose?

18. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Did europe with a D40 + 18-105mm VR. Was great. Wide enough when needed, and well if its too dark in those places I probably didnt want a photo anyway (cant think of anywhere I really missed out tbh).

Would have enjoyed a fast prime for nights out, but had a P&S for that.. especially since it was boozey everynight and I didnt want to lose/break my travel camera :) :thumbup:

19. 2SHY

2SHY Member

If this is true, should be very interesting to compare it to Nikon's version.

It would not be a volume selling lens though. It would be expensive as Nikon's version.

Would definitely want if there is no Barrel distortion throughout the range and if the IQ is good.

20. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

Pretty sure they are interchangeable, ie it doesnt matter