General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

:lol: So true.

2. Nafe

Nafe Member

I'm a whore. I shoot where they pay me to shoot, even bloody QLD :lol:

3. mojododo

mojododo Member

Hey Nafe, you covering the winton festival of speed this weekend?

4. Nafe

Nafe Member

Nope. I go to Winton once a year and that's enough for me (especially when it's the weekend after being at Le Mans, talk about chalk and cheese!).

I'm off to Queensland Raceway tomorrow morning, which means I miss WTAC completely :thumbdn:

5. mojododo

mojododo Member

Haha, yeah its a damned cold dank place this time of year! although, ill be there sporting my new kit trying to hold steady enough at -4ÂșC :lol:

6. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Lol :p

Sounds like a pretty cool weekend actually.
    If I make it out there I'll heckle give you a shout out.

7. Nafe

Nafe Member

Just look for my 400mm :D

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

@Azrael, hows the Hitech 10 stopper going? Thinking about ordering one :o

9. Azrael

Azrael Member

Going pretty well. See some of the photos in the Gallery for more details and massive over analysis :p

Needs about the same tweaking as the Lee filter. But from some people they think the Lee i have borrowed is fake because theirs doesn't need as much WB adjustment. Cant quite tell if its fanboiism or just variations in batches.

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

May be cause for some filter testing.. maybe a colour-meter and a fixed light source are in order...

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

Could be. Anyone else got a Lee 10 stop around? I gave the one i was borrowing back to my mate, and he is off OS tomorrow for 6 months (lucky bugger)

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

13. jamesski

jamesski Member

Just bought a D5100 with 18-55. 3.5-5.6 Lens has been good.

Just picked up a 1.4 Nikon 35mm. Really like the 'bokeh' and its image quality. If i was to put the Camera into Manual mode and set the Aperture to say 5.6 on approx 35mm Zoom and then take a photo.

If i was then to put on the 1.4 35mm but set its Aperture to 5.6.

Would the same amount of light be coming into the lens as the 18-55?

EDIT: Just another question what is the best aperture for just all round use. heard F8 is recommended?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. Azrael

Azrael Member

Went out tonight and joined in with doing some portrait/fashion sort of stuff. Absolutely hooked now i think :)

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

5.6 is 5.6. Always.

There is no 'best' aperture. Shooting around f/8 will see peak performance from MOST lenses.

Do not buy a 35/1.4 for a D5100; buy a 35/1.8 DX. The 1.4 is a FX lens and costs considerably more and weighs a lot more.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

Just thought i would show a little solution to the strap issue which has been annoying me for a little while.

Like a lot of others the whole rapid/sniper strap system was appealing, but for me it was a pain in the arse to use with a bag because i have a shoulder issue that means i can't carry stuff on my right shoulder for extended periods, and slinging both on the same side is problematic with them overlapping.

While i was in Germany i saw this system which seemed to be the solution: http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/the-strap-surfertm.html
    Unfortunately the clasp didn't fit my Thinktank Retro 10 (too thick) or my Crumpler FuxDelux (too wide), and so it didn't work. But it triggered my thoughts, and so i put together this system:

[​IMG]

Its pretty basic, just a plain old snap lock climbing carabiner, a 100mm fabric quickdraw, and a 6mm stainless carabiner. It fits into the Black Rapid ConnectRs (which i noticed you can get cheap versions on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11089044...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3470wt_1141) and works in a similar way to the Black Rapid system, and its also relatively easy to transfer from bag to bag.

Personally i use it mostly to hang the camera so i can go hands free, but it slides up well enough to take photos with as well.
    Probably not for everyone, but it was a decent and cheap enough solution for me that ill keep using it.

17. SyN

SyN Member

aperture ratio doesnt take into account light transmission loss :p

18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

For a beginner I think transmission loss/t values probably goes over their heads :p

19. interlopr

interlopr Member

Shoot at what ever aperture you want to shoot at, There is no best or worst, Different f/stops are used for different shooting situations!

If you don't quite understand f/stops, take a few photos starting from your lowest f/stop ranging to the highest and see what happens to your pictures :)

20. Azrael

Azrael Member

Was anyone else trying to redeem their scoopons with Fabness last night? I couldn't get onto their website to use my voucher, and curious if anyone else is in the same boat.

Edit: got it working this morning and it has accepted the voucher. Win.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012