1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. nodabs

nodabs Member

I have my ICU's laid out with cam in the middle and to the sides just have filters, tripod plates, 50mm misc stuff(well for the medium and large anyway) seems to fit pretty nicely. Will try to get a pic when i'm home

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I always pack my bodies with the lenses unmounted, otherwise you are just creating an odd space which naturally loses space down the length of the lens barrel.

I pack the bodies up the middle of the bag as well.

3. Nafe

Nafe Member

Depends on the lenses. I leave my 70-200 mounted because it's a big lens and also the heaviest, so I want it centred in the bag. I can fit 2 x 1DX bodies, 70-200, 24-70, 17-40, 1.4X plus 2 x 580 flashes into my Backpack compartment. Not sure there's much more I could fit.

4. crispy12

crispy12 Member

You can't put a price on memories. Just buy it. But why not buy a regular 35mm instead? You only used 110 film then? It's a pain to buy film and develop

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. nakey

nakey Member

Yeah, i'm that old that my first cameras were 110 and 126 film..

It took ages before i was ever given a shitty fixed focus 35mm. Also planning to look for an old Pentax 35mm P&S that mum and dad had before it died, again memories...

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, thats why i bought my Canonet GIII, was my first proper camera from my grandfather.

8. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Unboxing of a Nikon Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 Ai Fisheye Lens :wired:

9. nakey

nakey Member

10. Deftone2k

Thats pretty sweet that the YN-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter has an AF assist beam on it!

11. nakey

nakey Member

YN are good like that. that's why i'll probably get the YN622N-TX (at some point...)

12. 13atman

13atman Member

So I've just been referred by an old client a gig to be done at the end of this month shooting an award ceremony. I'm mainly a portrait shooter and have the Tamron 24-70, 35mm sigma, nikon 50/85. I'm thinking a good tele may come in handy.

Not 100% sure on what the lighting is going to be like, the client has said its going to be in a conference room, but available light eg spotlights etc she isn't sure about.

Anyone give me suggestions on a tele?

Been eyeing off the tamron 70-200 (new version with vc), but just starting research now on the nikon 70-200 f4 and the sigma 70-200 and maybe the tamron 70-300? Also considered a second hand 80-200, but the ones I'm seeing on ebay look a bit sketchy.

I'm using a d600.

13. millsy

millsy Member

Oh man, those are neat lenses

14. Deftone2k

I think it'll be a good combo, especially since they arent really eating into their trigger market that much.

Having said that, most of my rear fill is a YN 460II @ 1/128 or 1/64 so relatively low power.

15. millsy

millsy Member

16. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Doing some video filming for a uni project tomorrow, anyone have any tips?

It's just a apparatus that vibrates a plate at various frequencies.

My idea is to have ~30-60 seconds of various shots/thin DOF sweeps of various parts of the thing, using different perspectives, then an overall shot of the thing, then a top down and side perspective of the apparatus as it does a frequency sweep, then we're using some different materials so i'll have some slomo using the gopro @ 120fps of it breaking these various materials..... all set to some appropriately upbeat music haha. Aiming for ~6 minutes in total.

Going to try and use natural light since I don't have any continuous light sources.

Any tips in terms of framing/workflow/editing in premiere etc?

17. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I wanna have my first go at a star trail. What's the minimum time required to have a half-decent result? I'll be printing out Chris Bray's tutorial and will be seeing how I go with that.

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Bulk long time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26012086@N04/8561443587/

That was ~45minutes of photos before I got bored and shut it off haha.

At least a couple of hours to get decently long trails, but i'm a noob@startrails

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ok with a few video people in here, has anyone used the Benro S6 video head? My 80s era Manfrotto fluid head died today (tripod knocked over and is now in 3 pieces) and i need to replace it for some video work on Friday.

Trying to decide between the Manfrotto 500AH or the Benro S6. The Benro seems to have a couple of features that the 500AH doesnt, namely adjustable counterbalance, and separate locking lever. The counterbalance would be useful so i can go from the FS100 or 5D2 to the EPM2 or BMPCC without having to fight the head. The 500AH has the drop in plates, but im not so concerned about that, slide in has done me fine for so many years.
    From my usage of other Korean/Chinese gear, like the Sirui stuff its all pretty good. Benro comes relatively highly recommended as well.

But still has anyone used the Benro at all?

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

what filter thread size is that 6mm fisheye? :lol: