1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Oh, I forgot, try using the centre AF point - usually the most sensitive.

Z...

2. manymoments

manymoments Member

Shooting RAW

Heya, how's everyone's views on shooting with the different RAW incarnations? I mean technical mumbo jumbo aside, what's everyone's user experience?

I shoot mostly with a D700 and D3s but now I have a D800 in my toolkit. So shooting RAW with that bad boy fills my memory cards in no time.

Certainly RAW is a step up from JPEG, that's obvious. But I've honestly never noticed any difference between, compressed/uncompressed or 12 vs 14bit.

I'm told it's all in the highlight/shadow detail. Does anyone have any real world examples where the subtleties of RAW are noticeable?

3. lionman

lionman Member

When you get the exposure wrong in camera.
    When you're dealing with a high contrast scene.

4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

5. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

6. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

That's an understatement

7. millsy

millsy Member

wtf is up with the LED's on the grip?

8. oculi

oculi Member

nice to see they are sticking to the "brick with button on it" egronomic design. they released a few really nice SLRs a few years ago didn't they?

love the touchscreen control pad that replicates the actual control pad, just in case you don't like pushing real buttons I guess.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Raw files are usually quite flat, it's the flexibility in processing that makes RAW so good.

Z...

10. millsy

millsy Member

I shoot raw purely because I'm still learning how to expose images, and I don't want to miss a potentially great shot for the sake of being able to say my image was 'unedited'.

I'd rather say I had to tweak the levels a bit.

11. Unframed

Unframed Member

Raw is very different.

Raw is usually recorded logrithmically (sp?), it comes out flat to hold maximum colour information, it's a Raw sensor output, there are no colour profiles there shouldn't be a set ISO (or atleast in video there isn't) and there's no compression. This gives the absolute highest flexibility to your image.

To give an example. I had a Raw shot I took at 6AM in near pitch darkness looking down my street as it made a nice silhouette. I dropped it in UFRaw and upped the exposure and pulled out an image where all the objects in the silhouette were clearly visible and it was light-ish. It didn't blow out any highlights, there were minimal crushed blacks. There was noise though but that is the cameras fault.

12. nakey

nakey Member

I suspect that this is, like the Brick on button monstrosity that was the K-01, another K mount Mirrorless camera. And like the K-01, it seems more style over substance.

Just kinda makes no sense given the recent release of the K500 and K50, unless they want something underneath the dual dial, non WR K500...

13. manymoments

manymoments Member

I'm on top of things with regards to RAW and must now shoot RAW+JPEG to comply with my workplace policy, but the big debate in the office is shooting compressed/uncompressed 12 or 14 bit. Some people swear you can see the difference between 12 and 14 bit... I just keep it at 12bit lossless compressed. Can anyone honestly see the difference between the different RAW settings?

At the end of the day our output media is news print and web. Until recently, we've been just been shooting JPEG.

14. Power47

Power47 Member

only difference to me is recoverability for an incorrectly exposed shot. So in a perfect world it would be pointless, but then what if one day someone got a really critical shot that was say 3 stops one way or another? i personally dont see the point in reducing file sizes. HDD and bigger cards cost peanuts these days, and u never know when u will need that extra headroom.

15. Unframed

Unframed Member

It's not seen.
    The difference between 12bit and 14bit is information. 14bit will push further in post.
    Lossless compression vs uncompressed makes only a difference to filesize. Give me visually lossless compressed Raw any day over uncompressed.

16. manymoments

manymoments Member

Yeah, I can't see the difference either. And I can't say I've ever been in the situation where I'm two or more stops outside the ideal exposure.

These days, with the D800, shooting RAW+JPEG is taxing, there are times where I might go a week or more without being able offload the images from the CF cards (I spend a lot of time out in the field). A few 8 gig cards can only get you so far.

Do you think shooting 14bit has ever saved your bacon in post? i.e. trying to recover a delicate highlight such as a dress?

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

I really only play with Raw video and it's not always about getting the right exposure. If I want to add depth to my highlights, apply keying, bring out detail in blacks etc there is nothing better than Raw. It's also great for filling a 64GB SD card in 7mins.

Comparing 10bit to 12bit though I can tell you there is a fair difference in post.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. manymoments

manymoments Member

That is ridiculous.

I've got no idea about video, some kind of dark art.

19. Unframed

Unframed Member

24 Raw images/second + uncompressed audio track = SD card sexual assualt.

20. manymoments

manymoments Member

Haha, indeed quite the assault. I'd be keen to see some of your work.