1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. millsy

millsy Member

It's always harder shooting the city you're used to because you are a bit conditioned imo.

But, it's also an opportunity though to try and capture the vibe of Brisbane, I intend to go out at some point to see if I can find that myself because I am thinking similar to you currently.

I live pretty close to a lake and nice bushland, yet I never bother with exploring there. Easy to get jaded :)

2. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Wanna team up sometime? I think part of the problem is I don't shoot with anyone, so I'm kind of flying blind with no clear goal or motivation as to what I want to do.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah could be a goer, I'm a bit of a huge rookie but I'm up for a crack one day.

4. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Me too :lol:

5. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Hasn't been a bris photog meet for like 5 years?

6. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Nuh uh *wiggles finger*

Just go out, one body and one lens. Its all Bresson did ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. lionman

lionman Member

Bresson also didn't lug around a DSLR. A 35mm range finder is a lot more compact.

Sell all your cannon stuff and get a fuji. Then you'll have a much better chance of having your camera on you more often.

8. 13atman

13atman Member

Im in the same boat. Id say it is desensitisation, but even im the cbd itself on a busy day you wouldn't see even a quarter of the stuff that happens in Melbourne.

9. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I don't remember there ever being one as long as I've been on the forum, or for at least as long as I've been paying attention. :Paranoid:

That's exactly what I plan on doing, but unfortunately even separated, there's just no way that the body and/or lens will fit in my laptop bag at all. Hence why I want to get a better all purpose bag, so I can take my camera everywhere. :)

I like my Canon gear! It's also handy to have a few friends who are also invested in the system. That said, I have been considering an EOS M as an everyday shooter, they're getting pretty cheap now.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Someone should organize a meet sometime... :thumbup:

10. millsy

millsy Member

Go to bavarian, get a stein or two, take photos of absolutely nothing of interest :thumbup:

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Why dont you organize the meetup?

You can already take your camera anywhere you want. You seem to think because you have your camera slung on your shoulder that people around you think differently of you (actually they dont care what you do). By all means grab a $2 cloth library bag to put it inside and carry it carefully tho :) But.. then the bag isnt really the problem here.

It is really easy to get caught up in all of the reasons of why you think you arent shooting. It doesnt change the fact that it is you that is not going out and shooting. You already have everything you need.

The city you live in is the city you live in... some people have a knack and the patience to find compositions and wait for the setup (or cruise the streets over and over to get the shot they want). Go and follow xhantos on the forums here for a perfect example of someone who does this time and time again in Melbourne. The shots he gets are a mix of right time and right place, but also finding spots and hunting them for the right setup/composition.

Guess what? Even if you live in a city like Melbourne there is a high chance that if you shoot there on a very frequent basis and you arent staying motivated or trying new things that you might find it boring. I have always loved street and the idea of street but generally dislike the shooting of it. Where as for me shooting seascapes over and over is peaceful and I can go the same spot but try something different on another day. My dad still just says it looks like rocks and water to him though :)

I find street in Sydney pretty boring, because I dont find the people particularly interesting. Going to a new city is always exciting and new, but this is also you saying to yourself it is new and exciting and so you are motivated to do all of the things. I walked around Melbourne for a day a couple of years ago and it was fun. I took some rad film frames and it was aces. I would be more interested in doing cityscapes rather than street now if I went back.

So where and how do you find inspiration? It's a tricky question because only you can really find that inspiration. For me it was finding others I could go shoot stuff with, they would motivate me to go (or I would motivate them) and we'd make it happen. Once the ball is rolling I was going regardless of if they were going to come or not. From then I would make mental notes on all my trips around town of places that could be good to shoot. Then when I had the opportunity to do it, I would go and shoot that spot (tonight I shot at a location I made a mental note of like 2 years ago because I thought it would be good at sunset). Sunset was a bit of a dud, so I am keen to hit it up again one day in case I get a good one.. and so on.. and so forth.

Having no car is hard, but making pals with others that like to shoot that do have a car is great, especially if you contribute a bit of cash towards fuel to get the car to where you all want to shoot. Again though, you make the most of the situation you are in.

Looking at other photographers can be good, but it can also be crippling. It really depends on your personality type... but dont let other peoples work get you down (or make you think you cant do what they can do). Just appreciate it for what it is, and look forward to making work of your own that you are proud of.

TL;DR - Make some photography friends.. go out and shoot.. enjoy the fact you have a camera you can go and use. Also buy a cloth library bag.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Speaking of waiting for compositions in the street, I have found myself waiting anywhere from 45 mins to an hour in all sorts of positions for particular shots.

Notably on the ground, boy do I get some weird looks :p all worth it though.

Otherwise solid advice deft.

13. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Wow! I didn't expect a reply like that. Thank you so much!

What inspires me the most is a bit of a double-edged sword, because most of my inspiration comes from right here on OCAU. However, the photos here are so good (I swear it's a hidden gem), that it does what you says it can do, it kinda cripples me, because I get a bit deflated that my photos aren't that good yet.

This is despite the fact that I know that to take photos that good takes years of practice and thousands of shitty shots. I also like to remind myself when fawning over gear that I can't *really* afford, that people have taken much better photos than me with a lot less gear than I've got. That does spur me on a bit to try and drive towards that greater goal of taking some awesome photos.

But sometimes it's hard to get the inspirational juices flowing when I look at my bank account only to realize that after paying the necessities for the week/fortnight, I've got $1.36 in my account for the next 12 days. But, t'is also why I'm studying, and also probably just an excuse, as like I said, I can run around the city on TAFE days before/after gym etc.

One thing I really want to try is before dawn photos. I remember a time a few years ago when mum was in hospital and I missed the very last train home, I hung around the city for a few hours waiting for the very first train out, and at 4-5AM the city is a very different place. Council workers cleaning, interesting light and an interesting atmosphere considering that it's the city and it's empty.

That might be the next thing I try. Last week I woke up at 2:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Went in for an early morning gym session before TAFE and it felt great, despite running on fumes for the rest of the day.

So, might try it again.

Thanks again, guys. :thumbup:

14. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I remember very vaguely seeing a website which had a whole bunch of nature locations and examples of photos there. I think it was for Victoria (which is what I'm looking for).

Did I dream it or does someone know what I might be talking about?

15. Deftone2k

You sure didnt :)

http://www.freephotoguides.com/

It used to be a blogspot but has its own site and is worldwide now.

16. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I love all the points Jack made.

I'm always keen to do some shooting trackhappy if you're keen :) I work in the city and live in the redlands area. I also have an almost 1 year old, so I try my best to juggle my shooting around my family obviously, but always try to get out as often as I can haha

I enjoy all sorts of photography (and I enjoy long walks on the beach bla bla bla), so whether it be some landscape stuff or street stuff or even just mucking around with lighting, I'm up for it all

Feel free to shoot me a message

17. crispy12

crispy12 Member

I've been seeing some crazy good iPhone photography lately. Practicing simple post processing on my phone also translate well into using Lightroom later, it's scary how good some phone apps are nowadays.

Can still shoot awesome photos with $1 bank account (as long as you have a camera phone :p)

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I just read this article. Good work Jack. I think everyone loves seeing you work being posted. :thumbup:

The last OCAU Sydney meetup i went to was a few years ago, i met Deftone and Zee there. Probably before Jack got into the wedding stuff too ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

Hooray! Thanks :)

20. Deftone2k

Haha would have been about the time I was starting, or just after :) Might organize Sunday beers when I have a Sunday off.

No lies about that is generally what ends up happening at meets anyway :p