1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

Got a Slik something something, the head is missing a screw (NFI where it went). No idea if it will suit a Manfrotto head either but I can always test then dump the legs if it fails.

2. RichoB

RichoB Member

my thoughts on Video heads from a guy that doesn't shoot video.

I use a 502 video head on 055xprob legs for my 8x10 folding camera and 4x5 monorail (for it's nice big qr plate) and compared it to my mates new benro H series video kit and a miller kit my housemate brought home from tafe.

Video tripods are freaking stable. The dual column legs and attached spreader bars make these things rock solid (but also pretty heavy). I guess this is to be expected when you compare uses.

the other thing I found impressive was the bowl head. Levelling a normal photo tripod is a pain as you have to adjust all the legs separately. you can't just shift the head as the axis will be off when tilting or panning. With the bowl you just get the legs within cooee and fine adjust with the bowl. This makes things so much easier.

I can't attest to the fluid head characteristics between the brands as I don't have the prerequisite knowledge. They all seem smooth and the friction adjust seems useful and decent across the brands.

After playing with all three, the Golden Tripod rule still applies - buy right first and you'll have a tripod for life (almost!).

3. Unframed

Unframed Member

I would be fine with my current tripod but with the screw missing it tilts to the right with my video rig on it. Fine for DSLR, just 4KG has too much strain.

Thanks for the input!

4. lionman

lionman Member

If your serious about getting a nice self levelling fluid head then get nice legs to go with it.

Find the head that suits your use case then the legs that suit the head.

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

I'm happy with the legs, they hold a fair amount of weight and have done me well. I'm just thinking about a head that is a step up as the screw thing sucks and why not move up if it needs replacing?

6. lionman

lionman Member

If you have a standard tripod designed for stills, they only take flat based heads with a 3/8" thread mount as far as I know so your options are a bit more limited. You will have to use your legs to get the head level too. Without a level head horizons will be crooked and pans will contain unwanted tilt as well.

I would be looking at variable tilt and pan drag to help you nail smooth camera movement and counter balance to help hold after a tilting motion. The best value head with these features is the 502HD

A cheaper option is the Vanguard PH-123V

or the Benro S6

If you give up variable pan drag and counter balance then there are cheaper options like the Vanguard PH-114V

7. RnR

RnR Member

Not sure what to say to this...

:D

8. lionman

lionman Member

Haha, troll?

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Thanks mate. Might keep the slik for stills and get a full video tripod for the BMPCC. Really appreciate the advice.

10. Xang

Xang Member

Oh God I hope so.

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

The Benro S6 is what I have. And I rate it highly. I use it with 055xprob legs and a sunwayfoto leveling base rather than a dedicated set of video sticks.
    Works 98% as well as the video sticks but better than video stuff for stills.

12. lionman

lionman Member

Thanks for that, I knew there must be something available that provides levelling function on its own but was using the wrong search terms. :thumbup:

I've only seen levelling function built into heads in the flesh.

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

He's been at this for quite a while now

You would be a fool to even have the slightest thought that it is anything other than a bit of fun.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  14. lionman

lionman Member

Haha love the dig at ken rockwell

15. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

16. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

That is so awesome! Would love to have the skills and know how to do such an intricate project!

17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

18. lionman

lionman Member

19. wiztek

wiztek Member

Can anyone share some links to some inspiring family style shoots?

Most that i've come across are really tacky.

After some ideas/inspiration for a 2 parents + 1 baby type shoot.

20. lionman

lionman Member

Do a search like this or like this and then look for the ones you like. Its pretty subjective really.