1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Man, browsing DP review forums is a nightmare. Ignoring the the fanboy nonsense, people constantly quoting massive image threads and adding like 5 words of commentary wastes so much time :thumbdn:

2. lithos

lithos Member

I'm browsing istock for work.

This always ends up badly, because I end up building a narrative based around some of the hilariously contrived images in my head and giggling uncontrollably, which I'm told is unprofessional:

"Steve's apathy towards Linda's chronic early morning kidney pain would eventually lead to their divorce."

"As a black man, Michael though it was somewhat strange that his white wife managed to produce two Asian children. He decided to assume it was because he had some Chinese in him, somewhere, for the sake of their marriage."

"Steph is really fucking excited to be hanging this painting. Really, really fucking excited. LOOK AT HOW FUCKING EXCITED SHE IS, YOU SLUTS."

DP is photographic cancer, man.

Yes, we get it. You're all over-paid neckbeards who like the *idea* of photography, but really only there to jerk off over gear specs and never actually go take photos.

3. mrthong

mrthong Member

:thumbup::thumbup: cheap as chips. will put an order through soon.

4. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

5. itsanobscureid

itsanobscureid Member

These look great & great prices too - will place an order in the next few days - thanks.

6. millsy

millsy Member

:lol:

I've been trying to read up on the 200-500 and it has a bit of activity on it but my god at what cost.

7. pinheadion

pinheadion Member

Awesome! Don't forget to use the code StraponOCAU if you do buy. That way you save on shipping and I get to see if it even works :thumbup:.

I definitely want to get more quality coloured thread options in the future. There are heaps of great threads available overseas, but I want to try and recoup some of the initial costs and see if there's even a market for this stuff first.
    I want to make myself one with red thread, so I'll have to bite the bullet eventually :)

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Hm, heading to the states for a conference in a couple of weeks. Will take my trusty RX100 with me, but considering taking something more.

Pondering whether i take the X100 or the OM-D with the 14mm 2.5. Wont take anything bigger on that trip as it will be mostly at a conference, hence thinking the X100 might make for a bit of fun.

THoughts.

9. 13atman

13atman Member

^I'd take the e-m5, I'd trade the slight low light advatange of x100 for the e-m5's 5 axis IBIS.

10. RnR

RnR Member

+1

Most of your subjects, if not all, will be standing still.

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

X100 is generally less obtrusive at a conference type environment though. Decisions decisions.

12. AmB

AmB Member

Nisi Filters, any good? Seem...cheap...

just hunting around for a reasonable priced 95mm filter...

13. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Just brought 2 of the Nisi filters, a big stopper and a small stopper, havent arrived yet but should be here this week, look good for the price point

14. AmB

AmB Member

cheers. I'm just debating with myself over fitting a filter to a tamron 150-600 or just trust the hood to protect it and not bother with a filter...

15. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I use a 77mm Nisi 10-stop ND filter and I think it's great value. Very little colour cast. :)

16. Athiril

Athiril Member

Saw the Leica SL now... "Big news in the camera industry today: Leica has just announced the Leica SL, an entirely new mirrorless camera system that competes directly against the likes of Sony" yeah no.. what a piece of crap, it doesn't compete with Sony's mirrorless cameras at all.

17. mrthong

mrthong Member

Isn't it like $8000? They're aiming for a market that is completely different to Sony.

18. RnR

RnR Member

Yup - the red dot market is well and truly alive.

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah its big (as are the lenses, wow.), and very expensive.
    Does seem to be a nice bit of kit if you have an unlimited budget!

20. onrelas

onrelas Member

I might be a minority here, but does that camera look really ugly to anyone else? It just misses the mark. I'm glad it's not trying to emulate the whole "retro" feel that was popular for a number of manufacturers in years gone by. However what they've come up with just looks a little clunky and awkward. Not even in a utilitarian way.