1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

A lot of them are preserved in a flyable, or near flyable condition. One of Australia's F111s came from the boneyard (and hence had the nickname the Boneyard Wrangler)

Edit: more specifically

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Yes, however it requires someone to want to buy them. Isn't QANTAS retiring their Boeing 747 fleet to the boneyard on buying in all their Airbus A380s?

Are there enough commercial and logistics entities in this world which wants 30-50 year old airframes?

3. Zee

Zee Member

There are a couple of Qantas planes there, actually, not sur eif I got a good shot of them, though my motivation was kinda lacking once I saw how it was. As I said, I was hoping for some older semi stripped airframes. There was no military stuff at all. There are other boneyards that are good fo rmilitary stuff, but I don't have the time to drive there, and, from what I read, I'd need a longer lens... (Currently a M.Zuiko 40-150 Pro with 1.4TC on an E-M1).

I hope I can afford the 300 Pro...

Z...

4. wiztek

wiztek Member

Keen to pick up a fast focusing lens for my D750. 35mm is my preferred length, but i already have a 23mm on my X-T1.

Not sure if i should get the 24mm Art or double up on 35mm lenses...

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Get the 35 :thumbup:

6. wiztek

wiztek Member

Yeah i think i would regret passing on another 35 (i owned one previously when i was on Canon). Super awesome lens.

None in the second hand market. I'm impatient too so might have to bite the bullet and buy new :(

7. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Check out dcxpert on eBay, they are actually CR Kennedy and usually quite a bit cheaper

8. wiztek

wiztek Member

Thanks for the tip.

Just did a check and no Nikon mount ones, but their Sony and Pentax mount lenses are a lot cheaper!

Do you think they have stock that isnt listed? Would it be worth asking?

9. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Yup it would be worth contacting them :)

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

+1 for the ART 35, bloody fantastic bit of glass

11. lithos

lithos Member

Man, remember when Sigma was crap?

Biggest 180 by a company ever.

12. mrthong

mrthong Member

Kicking myself over missing a few good shots when I was at melb today. I'm slowly easing into street photography, as in slowly getting the confidence of taking photos in highly populated areas.

13. millsy

millsy Member

On a whim I looked outside my windows tonight in Austria and realised it was snowing lightly, so I naturally went for a walk in it.
    Realised about 2/3 way through my walk when I saw someone on a unicycle leaning on a traffic light in the snow I had forgotten my camera :upset: Ah well mucking around with other photo opportunities would have meant I never would have seen that but still :upset:

14. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

Any opinion on this?

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/what-a-ridiculous-day-landscape-photographer-ken-duncan-prevented-from-taking-photos-at-barangaroo-20151128-gladmz.htmle

And here I thought I was just being over paranoid about the rules when this article was published:

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/barangaroo-bans-kites-balls-barbecues-but-welcomes-private-parties--for-a-fee-20151031-gknl6l.html

15. millsy

millsy Member

Wow that whole saga makes me mad, from the photography part to the fact they make a public space that the public can't even play sports in. Wtf

16. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

it's australia, there's a rule for everything

good thing they cant count how many times you go for a shit otherwise there'd be a rule for that too

17. Zee

Zee Member

I saw this on the news tonight. I just have no words. The country is run by morons, and policed by them, too...

z...

18. wiztek

wiztek Member

GAS took over and i got the 35mm Art.

I've had one before and i do not remember it being this damn good. Georgeous bokeh, razor sharp and very accurate. I think it has a lot to do with focus accuracy on the D750.

19. Hamal

Hamal Member

"Policed by morons" is the case here. National Parks do insist on a charge for "Commercial photography", but the photography/videography has to be used for a specific purpose.

A business is free to take photographs/videography for their own purposes, sell it under their own name - but if you were "commissioned" to do the job for another entity, then you need to get a permit.

From the Tas Parks website:

"Commercial filming is defined as: any filming which is undertaken for a financial consideration, either on consignment for another party or with a view to selling or hiring the imagery obtained, or for promotion of a product or service, and includes still photography for advertising purposes.

For the purposes of these guidelines, commercial filming includes:
    • Commercial Filming (advertisements)
    • Feature Filming (cinema, video and TV)
    • Documentaries and Tourism Promotions
    • Educational and Government Sponsored Filming
    • Stills Photography for advertising purposes
    News of the day (electronic and print) and current affairs do not meet this definition. These activities do not require approval, a permit or the payment of fees. However they should be encouraged, where possible, to comply with the objective of these guidelines."

For the sake of this argument, the "Still Photography for Advertising Purposes" point is applicable. Ken Duncan was not doing photography for "advertising purposes" (e.g. he was not commissioned by another agent to produce images for the intent of advertising a product or service) and as such he should not have been approached.

The first paragraph does use the term "with a view to selling or hiring the imagery obtained", but again, this refers to advertising purposes where the intent is to promote a product or service.

If you were merely selling prints or a book, then that rule does not apply.

DISCLAIMER: IANAL.

20. clonex

clonex Member

DSE clearance

Nikon 3100 twin kit $249
    7100 kit $399(try toombul)

Good luck :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015