1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. wiztek

wiztek Member

Can anyone recommend where i might be able to buy a nice USB stick (need 8gb). I want to share some of my photos with friends/family on these.

So not the plastic sandisk type ones. Something that is a bit premium and looks nice.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Did you try google? Haha..

www.flashbay.com.au is very popular.

Otherwise Alibaba is good, and other eBay sellers.

3. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not ahah

Surely some cheap big W/kmart prints would be better! Or just share online?

4. wiztek

wiztek Member

I did try searching on google and ebay and i coudn't find anything in OZ. There's stuff in China but i dont want to wait. Never tried Alibaba but will sus it out.

I've come across flashbay before but i only need one USB and i dont need it branded. Im guessing they dont do that...?

I have about 900 photos i want to give to a friend and i'm not sure where i can get that much hosting space for free. I really like Pixieset but that's limiting me to 3gb.

5. nakey

nakey Member

Given the metric shit-tonne of "not plasticky" USB3.0 sticks out there, is there anything you're specifically looking for? Exposed plug? Cap? Retractable? any specific colour? Any upper limit on cost?

6. Deftone2k

Yep I would just look on some computer store websites and find one that doesnt look like the norm.

Or order 20 custom ones from somewhere because over time you will probably use them for the odd shoot here and there.

7. Deftone2k

You either have to go dropbox or another type of service for bigger sets. Perhaps sign up to Zenfolio or something and you get the best of both worlds.. .something to backup some photos to and galleries you can use for the odd client here and there.

8. nakey

nakey Member

there were some pretty, sleek and stylish Elecom ones, but they're a bit hard to get down here. Silicon Power, Samsung, Toshiba, Kingston, and Corsair also have a few good lookers as well

9. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

What is someone going to do with 900 photos on a thumbstick?!

Atleast curate them and select a few good ones to print out or something :eek: only 15c/print @ Big W

10. wiztek

wiztek Member

11. Zee

Zee Member

Thanks for that - very cool. I've never seen Citizen Cane - I now have a mission for myself for the weekend.

Z...

12. millsy

millsy Member

Man the number of times I look at the second hand market for canon vs nikon... Wish the Nikon market was better!

13. 13atman

13atman Member

looking to sell? When I used to work ib a camera shop back in the day, generally everyone would either be pushing canon onto new customers or people would come in just for canon. Was pretty amazing.

14. wiztek

wiztek Member

Looking to buy a portrait lens now that i've offloaded some gear and i'm torn between the 58mm 1.4G and the 85mm 1.4G.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I love the rendering from the 58, but i'm worried i'll miss the reach of the 85... i only have a 35mm and a 50 1.4 at the moment (which i'll sell once i get a new portrait lens).

15. millsy

millsy Member

Nah for buying actually, seems to be a lot less options which sucks as the second hand prices are higher. Also lenses like the 70-200 L canon has had out for a long time so the only nikon ones are new and expensive.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i'd take the 85mm (if you're shooting on FF)
    if you need to shoot full length shots the 35 will be fine, and at 85mm just step back a bit

17. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Seems like more Nikon people are not deserting the system.

18. millsy

millsy Member

I think it's just what you mentioned before, canon has much higher sales and thus the second hand market is naturally larger.

One of the best things about the secondhand market in NL, is you've got a population of 16.8 million all within at most say 3 hours drive, so 66% of the potential second hand sales of Australia all within driving distance instead of whatever % of the population is near you :)

Though I have to wonder if the distinctive grey of the L series lenses also attracts people to Canon instead of Nikon :p

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Darn aussie ebay sellers are slackers, I pay hefty premiums over same item from china because I need it quickly.

Sellers decides to take 3 days just to post it, so takes 2 weeks since hitting the button to arrive, just silly.

20. millsy

millsy Member

That's the worst, I hate when that happens.

I found a lens I wanted to buy, it had been up for sale for 2 weeks, decided to send the seller an email when I got home, it sold in those 2 hours :(