1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

2. Digit

Digit Member

Hey Guys,

Looking to shoot some sunrise/sunset images, but having trouble predicting what the colours will be like. I live a little ways away from the beach so getting there for sunrise for nothing to happen is a bit annoying.

Are sunrise/sunsets just a numbers game or are there indicators you can use to guess the probability of a good sky? is there a certain time of year that generally yields better skies?

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

colours are pretty much the same from what i've seen, with slight differences depending on the direction of the sun.
    but i generally dont bother unless theres a decent chance of clouds (skies are a bit boring without them)

colour can be edited in post if you want too

4. clonex

clonex Member

5. Digit

Digit Member

So keep an eye out for interesting cloud formations and shoot if they appear?

6. dan441

dan441 Member

If you're far away from location, using a phone app or a website like willyweather can be useful (but not foolproof) in checking the expected cloud cover can be useful. At the beach it's also good for tide levels, first/last light , sun rise/set, wind, etc...

Having said that, it's still a numbers game. My last 3 shoots for cityscapes have all been bust as 'partly cloudy' turned out to be mostly flat grey overcast skies...
    Summer can be better, particulaly the further south you go the more drab and grey it gets in winter, but there's always exceptions!!! You've just got to work out how to make the conditions work for you.

eg. http://www.willyweather.com.au/vic/melbourne/st-kilda.html

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah weather sites or BOM for indications that its going to be cloudy.
    Ideally you want partly cloudly, but all depends the look you're going for

8. millsy

millsy Member

Is it just me or is the popular section on 500px tanking out massively in quality since they slashed royalties? I mean it's probably not a coincidence but still...

*edit* Hmm might just be the Windows Metro app, website seems to be okay.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  9. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone have a suggestion on a cam that can happily do 1080p video for more than 29m59s (stupid EU tax laws) with AF. Not particularly looking for a handycam, but something like the BMPCC or similar. Am already heavily invested in m43 and EF so that would be a benefit.

Wanting something to run FMV alongside TL captures for cross feeds.

10. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

11. wiztek

wiztek Member

Does anyone know why i would be getting 'likes' from randoms on instagram for photos that i haven't hastagged?

They don't have a location and the likers are not spammers... they appear to be other photographers in general.

I thought perhaps they are accessing my feedback from hashtags on other posts, but the ones ive noticed only have liked a single photo on my feed only.

12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Unless your profile is set to private its public for people to find... and for algorithms to show people.

13. wiztek

wiztek Member

Oops, im a noob.

I only now just realised there is a 'discover' function on instagram. I guess this is where the algorithms kick in.

Cheers :thumbup:

14. millsy

millsy Member

God damn, been trying to buy a 70-200 for ages and people put up ads and just don't respond, so frustrating.

Why put something online if you have no intention to respond to queries! All I wanna know is how old the lens is :(

15. wiztek

wiztek Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on stitching software that is free on Mac?

Using only for Brenizer shots. ICE works great but i dont have a windows based PC at home.

Tried using Hugin but it is way too complicated for me. And the stitching keeps failing. Driving me nuts.

16. Xang

Xang Member

If you're on Creative Cloud, LR has it built-in now. It's only useful for up to about 10 images on my machine though, otherwise unbearably slow.

17. wiztek

wiztek Member

Still on LR5 and i did try it when i was trialing CC, and i have to agree, it was unbearably slow. ICE performs really good in my experience.

Might have to dust off the old PC and make it my dedicated Brenizer editor :wired:

18. Azrael

Azrael Member

Hm. If you were going to take a m43 OS with two lenses what would they be? I'm considering the 14mm pancake and 25mm 1.7

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Is this head on thing supposed to be a joke?
    I went to some exhibit on Darlinghurst street, meant to be curated by Sandy but was very meh.

Printout was nasty stapled cartridge paper it century gothic, ripped that right up!

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  20. onrelas

onrelas Member

HeadOn is conducted across a range of spaces all over the city with varying degrees of success. There is no universal template or quality control. Basically if you pay your money you can be part of the festival. It's up to each individual gallery how things are run. I'm actually surprised it's still running as from my experiences with the organisers in the past they seemed overworked and disorganised.