1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

My budget isnt too much more, the wife will kill me!

You're right, I think I'll stick with the Hoya CP filter for $36 (eBay) and lll look for some ND filters.

What's your thoughts on ND1000 10 stop filter to get that nice flowing water effect?

I'll check that tripod out, I think it's just out of my budget though.

I found this which had extremely good reviews. Do you think it'll be alright for now? Honest opinions!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262474303461

And I agree, I'm not a professional by any means so sinking money into gear seems fruitless at this stage. I'm happy to see how I go and I'll go from there. I bough a year old a6000 with stock lens, 7000 shutter count and in good condition.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Any equipment is better than no equipment :)

If you get hooked, the wife will be mad at you all the time anyway. Just remember once you have the basics, it comes down to the user rather than the gear.

3. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

My thoughts exactly. I think I'll bite the bullet and get this tripod.

Still a camera case too

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I had a very similar tripod. It's not too bad for a little tripod. Good for securing to a bag to go hiking. It's not very tall (155cm) nor is it super sturdy. But it's better than putting your camera on a rock.

5. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

THAnks for the input! Might look around for a second hand be free. See if I can snag a deal.

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

When you first start looking at tripods everyone has this idea that they need a tall tripod that reaches their eye level or slightly lower. Honestly, shooting from your eye level especially for landscapes makes for the most boring compositions normally, you'll generally want to shoot a lot lower. My tripod does have a centre column, but I have it detached and sitting in the front pocket of my bag, I only ever use it if I need to get height over some kind of barrier.

Tripods are one of these things that are inevitable that you'll replace at some point if you get seriously into it. Everyone starts off not really knowing why they should spend more than $100-150 on a tripod as well.

Personally my first tripod was a Velbon that I still have kicking around, and that cost me I think about $150 back in 2002-2003 I think it was. My current primary tripod with everything I have for it (i.e. legs, levelling base, ballhead, nodal rail and camera plate) cost about 10 times what I spent on my first tripod.

Manfrottos are good, but your budget will likely not stretch that far. The "good" compromise on money tripods from what I've seen are Velbon and Slik generally.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Eye level tripods are great for photos involving people as the focus of the frame (and video) But that's about all that really requires it composition wise. The vast majority of still compositions are nicer lower down.

8. humanrace

humanrace Member

You can look at MeFoto or Benro for some cheap and ok tripods. I personally have a MeFoto. Its not as sturdy as I would like but does the job fine (usually shoot with a 5D2 and 16-35/2.8L, sometimes I put a pano head on it which is an additional ~700g - its wobbles a bit but does the job). I think for a small budget it can be a good compromise.

In terms of filters try and get the best you can afford and only buy once. Cheap filters have colour casts but worst than that, they flare when shooting into a light source (which is common in landscapes - the sun). They probably are harder to clean too.

Im not really up to date with filters but brands to look into are Hi-tech, NiSi, Lee. They would all have their own holders. Best to read reviews/ask in more populated photography forums.

In terms of what type of filters to get I would start off with a 3 stop ND and a 3 stop soft GND. They can be stacked too. If you want to do longer exposures just take a bunch of frames and use software to merge them. See this tutorial (I havent watched it but I'm sure its the right technique)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuQWfS3pLg

Stacking allows you to reduce noise but means more time in post and saves you from buying an expensive 10-stop filter if you wish to avoid it.

9. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Beautiful. I appreciate the response mate. Very helpful. Thank you.

10. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Great thanks I'll have a look!

11. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Tops, thanks!

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone used a pelican or vanguard insert for a camera bag? The vanguard 53 insert looks ideal for the sort of storage I need.

13. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Hi guys.

I'm looking at purchasing a 10 stop ND filter for my stock lens on the Sony a6000 (16-50). The diameter is 40.5.

I've looked everywhere and it doesn't look like they make them that small in diameter?

14. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

15. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Great mate that's good to hear. What size do you recommend I get? I only have the stock lens at the moment but will be purchasing in the future. Probably 6 months away.

16. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Maybe just think of what lenses you intend to buy, check what thread sizes they are and get that size?

The majority of my lenses are 77mm, so I bought the 77mm and have step up rings for my 67mm and 72mm thread lenses.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I did my last commercial real estate shoot with a wonky tripod - one leg segment broken and is duct taped together.

Just fixed issues in post. :lol: :weirdo:

It's hard enough as it is to make money in photography - duct tape cheaper than shelling out for another $400-500 tripod.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  18. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Well I'll only be doing landscape. So what are the normal lens sizes so to speak? I know they are all different but what's the general size? Or what lens should I eventually upgrade to?

19. wiztek

wiztek Member

Got a shoot coming up and want to micro adjust my 85 1.4.

Google suggests that I should micro adjust using a focus distance of 25 x the focal length, which would be 212.5cm. I normally focus adjust by taking a photo in live view, then switching back to normal auto focus and taking a second shot, and tweaking the micro adjust until the live view shot is equally as sharp as the non live view shot. Nothing really scientific. Just a trial and error approach. All this is done using the centre focus point at f/1.4.

For those who have micro adjusted a 85 before, is 212.5cm a sensible distance to use?

Also, should I manual focus the live view shot? Or should I just rely on live view auto focus?

20. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I do it at the distance I normally shoot my 85 at, at the aperture I normally shoot it at. So usually 3-5m at F2.

I use of the Spyder Lens Cal .. focus with AF on the center point, zoom in and review, making adjustments until it is bang on.

Record all the values so I can compare between sessions.