General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

In light rain no real issues, though I tended not to use zoom lenses that extend externally to do so. You can get camera rain covers if you're super worried - they're just like a plastic sleeve that fits over.
    Just make sure you dry everything well at the end of the day & you should be fine.

I shot at Athol Hall a few years ago & the lighting was terrible - very dim inside. Bouncing was nasty too as there aren't any decent surfaces to bounce off - they're all angled poorly, the ceiling is very high & also stacks of beams get in the way. If you have a good modern body that handles very high iso I'd be resorting to that + some very wide apertures.

Outside is great - lots of area to shoot in, and a little beach you can walk down to.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. wiztek

wiztek Member

Thanks!

Yeah, in a lot of the stuff i've seen online of Athol Hall the lighting does seem really bad, and i noticed the beams + high ceiling (which looks grey?) too.

Will most likely go high iso and wide apertures + exposure slider :leet:

Thanks for the advice.

3. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I'm no expert when it comes to event work however if all else fails you can get reasonable results using a small on-flash softbox and an off-camera shoe cord. Flash in one hand, camera in other. Infinitely better than direct flash.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Not dumb questions :)

It is all part of the business.... ill shoot in anything if the clients will stand in it. I have not really given it any extra thought either really.. its why we insure our gear. Clients would always want to make the photos work, without much thought past that the day is the wedding day. Have a backup/spare body and glass in your bag. Rent one if you dont own. Ive shot in the pouring rain with my art no problems, and seen other people kill bodies with weather sealed glass.. its just the luck of the draw. The gear is pretty resilient in hot/cold/wet conditions. 5D3 weather weak point imo is the mode dial. If you have bumped it before or its a bit flakey, I know water gets in that way. I have taped up the top sections of my 5d3's with electrical tape before in a pinch, otherwise pretty handy at holding an umbrella whilst shooting now.

Athol is fine, heavy yellow colour cast but .. it is what it is. Ambient is usually fine with bounce, it can be unpredictable so just play around with your ETTL settings if you must. An extra flash or two triggered around the room doesnt go astray. Also depends on how far down the house lights are, they can turn them up.. they often dont want too :)

Reminds me of this wedding.. and then shooting for hours soaked to the bone https://www.instagram.com/p/71fyD9J8ij/

5. wiztek

wiztek Member

Lol damn.

Yeah, i agree, i guess best approach is to shoot what the client is willing to stand in, and that could be pouring rain. Will keep second body safe in case of worse case scenario. Also looking to get my stuff insured. I guess i could shoot with an umbrella too. I still have to get the one hand focus point changes down.

If i was to do this, how would i hold the flash? Why would that be different to having the flash with the softbox on the camera? Pretty new to off camera lighting...

Thanks for the responses all!

6. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Let's say you're taking a basic social photo featuring 1-2 subjects. You will be shooting around the 30-35mm range, so fairly close. Holding the flash in one hand, if you reach up and away from your body, pointing the flash down, you can produce somewhat directional light that at least adds some dimension.

7. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Please confirm I'm not crazy:

If I'm getting 6x4 photos printed and the printer is 300dpi (RGBdigital.com.au) - I will suffer no loss in quality if I export from Lightroom with photos resized to 1800 pixels on the longest edge and 300dpi, highest quality jpg.

It makes the files a much more user-friendly sub-2mb.

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

8. Xang

Xang Member

Correct. You can easily drop to 70-80 quality as well and I'd be stunned if anyone could notice any difference.

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

And here I am, looking at how much I paid for my 5D4 vs. the 5D3...! Or how much the 300D cost in 2004?? Over 2k for the single lens kit. Yikes! Some of this is indeed down to exchange rate - the 5D4 was only a few hundred RRP over the 5D3 in USD but over here, it was a few grand over the 5D3.

The E-M1 II still looks like an amazing camera body for the price! Really keen to have a play with one.

10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

For some reason I'm wanting a Ricoh GXR for Lecia M silliness.

Wanting an ultra compact camera with a great zoom lense solution is tricky.

11. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

I've gone cold on the idea. I bought a second hand NEX6 for travelling and it was good, but it wasn't quite as good as my old 550D, and I still couldn't fit it in a pocket. When I'm out and about I rarely have/make the time to stop and take a good photo, they tend to just be photos of what I see, so any camera could be good enough. I now think that a $300 point and shoot is fine for walking around, and a DSLR (or whatever you really like) for times when you really want to take good photos. Compromising seems more trouble than it's worth.

12. millsy

millsy Member

Alright I am stumped, looking at colormunki calibrators, the 'smile' lacks some of the advanced features of the 'display' model, e.g. ambient light sensor, as well as some gamma stuff.

As I want to calibrate a triple screen setup, I'd want the more expensive one right, as the 3 monitors could be different enough that you'd need more indepth profiling?

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep i agree, but i sit in the middle.
    Something like an A6000 isnt pocketable, but a fair bit more compact for travel (in my camera bag).

I ended up with RX100 series for pocketable, A7 series for travel and landscapes and DSLR for anything fast

14. wiztek

wiztek Member

15. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Travelling 'light'

Just got home from 16 days in Laos and Cambodia. We had a great time experiencing the sights, culture and food.

For the first time in many years I traveled 'light' with just a single body - my A7RII. I did take 4.5 lenses 24-240, 1635F4, 55F1.8 and 28F2 plus the Fisheye adapter.

A few observations/learnings: -
    • The Fisheye adapter for the 28F2 barely got used. I will likely not pack it for future trips and I may consider selling it.
    • But the 28F2 is a great little lens. I quite like it. Not as sharp as the 55F1.8 but acquitted itself well.
    • The 24-240 is a versatile lens with the known compromises but it was the default lens for daytime activities except for later in the trip with the big temples in Cambodia (I used the 1635F4 for those).
    • Eye focus is really good, so long as the light is good enough. But it is a pain to have to switch to AF-C to activate (I normally shoot DMF).
    • I attempted a lot of people shots. Rarely was I close enough or the subject cooperative enough for me to use my 55F1.8 so I had to use the 24-240. There were times I really wanted/needed the GM70200F2.8! Now top of my GAS list.
    • With the 24-240 attached the stock head on Manfrotto Befree CF tripod is not strong enough to hold the weight when vertical. I should have swapped it for one of the RC's I left at home.
    • Battery life is horribly inconsistent. Some days I got 500 plus before changing the battery, and others less than 250 (admittedly with a fair amount of idle time).
    • The build quality of the A7RII is really not good enough. I have quite a few new missing paint spots. I do not mishandle or abuse my gear. This is not something that happened with any of my other Sony bodies including the A7s, and the A mount bodies.
    • I need a better day bag than my current LowePro Passport Sling (first gen). Better organisation, especially to make lens changes more seamless. (Note I used a F-Stop Kenti as my transit bag - happy with that for hauling everything).
    • Possession of a rocket blower earns you the odd drink or two from the unprepared. :Pirate:
    • My wife is infinitely patient. Waiting for me whilst I changed lenses and shot some more.
    • I purchased a 2TB WD Passport Pro to try backing up direct from SD card without a computer. It works. It is much quicker than previous generation but the device is too heavy/big as it incorporates a battery pack. I switched back to using the my USB3 card reader to download to my Ultrabook and then backed up to the Samsung T2 SSD storage. If you are travelling without a PC then the Passport Pro is a good option but not for me I think.
    • I used pretty much everything I took. :thumbup: For once. :o

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  16. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

On the first point I just by reflex switch my camera off when I finish taking a picture. I been shooting mirrorless for long enough that it is just muscle memory now. I find that it keeps battery life consistent. On the current generation of Sony camera, it takes less time to turn the camera on than to wake it up from sleep.

The second point I don't know how so many people are having issues with paint. I wear a spider holster for weddings, and I bump into stuff all the time, and the paintwork on my A7RII is perfect. (though I bet now that I have said that, I will scrape all the paint off at the next wedding I shoot... lol)

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i've shot SLT/mirrorless for a long time too so same for me... i almost have to force myself to not do it with my nikons (though they power on fast anyway)

Will keep an eye on the paint of my Rii

18. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Same issues with my Oly EM-1 , battery life is wildly different, much worse with the generic batteries as well , hadn't thought of turning it off after each shoot, ill try that next time.

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone have a good source for short HDMI to MicroHDMI cables for connecting external monitors to a BMPCC? The monitor sits off the top of the BMPCC, so only very short cable needed, but most of the ones i can find that are decently made are 1.8m, and the short ones have such thin wire that they break rapidly.

20. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

There is one that Atomos makes that has the coiled wire so it can be long or short as you need. About $30 or so though (from memory).