General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Xang

Xang Member

I don't know what resolution it's transferring - I'm just using it to quickly get an image across to wedding guests so they can post to social media. Once you're connected, it only takes a second or so per image. You can mark images on the camera as you go for transferring, so that once you're connected and in the app they all move over together.

2. SyN

SyN Member

Seems a simple OTG cable can also access camera's photos. Anyone be able to tell me how fast the transfer speed would be?

3. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

Transferring from your camera to your phone? I expect you'd get the speed of the max speed of the card or camera.

4. SyN

SyN Member

From some reading, seems like the nikon wifi units of today (even the D850) are still using 10 year old 802.11g wifi standard. So for it to take a second or two it must be in lower resolutions....

edit: d750 uses 802.11g, which came out in 2003 is at a real world max speed of about 30mbps, or under 4MBps

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

snapbridge is just shit overall.
    Much prefer Sony's wireless implementation even if its a bit annoying its reliable

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Finally an update from Adobe for Lightroom.. but a bit strange with the direction they have taken imo!

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye-bye-lightroom-hello-lightroom-cc-faster-lightroom-classic/

Am holding off the immediate update just until a couple of the bugs are ironed out but I am excited for the changes in LR Classic seeing as though I spend so many hours in LR each week!

7. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

8. Deftone2k

Yeah the cloud is definitely not for me but the changes to LR Classic is good.. I just hope that doesnt mean that longer term they will phase out traditional LR.

I would switch to Capture One if I wasnt so heavily involved with LR all the time.

9. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

I'm sure thwarting piracy is another big issue for them. Ironically, piracy is the only reason I use LR; I pirated it when I first started and now I'm so used to the workflow. I tried DarkTable a while back, but it was like learning a new language, I was constantly tried to equate my old methods to the new interface and slowed myself down.

10. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I paid for Affinity Photo even though I wasn't sure if I'd actually use it over Photoshop; The price is definitely much better.

11. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Classic seems to be a good improvement so far for me.

12. Athiril

Athiril Member

Same piracy methods apply to CC afaik, seems more like an analogue to microtransaction games, where you continuously pay for it and end up paying more over a period of time. Like that Activision matchmaking scandal atm.

I dont think there is money in trying to lock out pirates, as they'll just go elsewhere. Plus like trials, people can learn and get comfortable with the software to make them prefer it over anything else so that they wont rely on competing software, I think that would translate into more sales/subscriptions then locking them.

Managing to lock out pirates would give free alternatives (which are have been improving for years) like Lightworks or Shotcut etc a bigger user base and help them grow over the next few years, they might start to become a threat after a number of years.

Plus the subscription/contract method may translate into more sales as well for people who cant outlay a large lump sum or are taken aback at large lump sum, a smaller initial fee but ongoing can get them into it.

Similar tactic to many other contract, subscription, and credit card schemes etc that lure lower income people into something they would otherwise consider themselves unable to afford.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

A question about backup strategy. My current strategy (if you can call it that), is to tick the "copy to two locations" option when importing raws to LR. The second location is a second hard drive. This means I have two copies of the raws on two hard drives. I then use the built in catalogue backup option to backup the catalogue to this second hdd too. Apart from that I am planning to also backup full size processed jpegs of my selected images from each trip to the cloud. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what I'm doing? I haven't actually tested re-associating a backup of the catalogue with the raws from the second copy location but I'm assuming this will work.

14. Deftone2k

Do you copy to a folder on a drive before importing or import straight into LR from the memory cards?

Everyone's backup process will be different (obviously I have a super high volume as well)

I make two copies of each card to two different folders. 1 on my working drive and 1 onto my rotating offsite external drive(s). This helps reduce the risk if there is an error with the card reader, rather than make 1 copy and then copy the corruption over and over.

The folder on the working drive is then copied into my NAS.

My working drive then clones each evening to a matching drive and I copy the current catalogs im working on into dropbox when I finish work each day.

I use 1 catalog per shoot.. which makes it easier to manage picks and rejects long term also. I cull in Photomechanic, and all culled files are moved into a subdirectory inside the shoot folder (called !culled) which is also where I create the LR catalog for each job. It means that once the cull is done, all the files are moved into the folder and imported. After the job is finished with editing/exported after X amount of time I can simply delete all the RAW's outside of the !culled folder.

If you are storing the catalog file with the RAW files for each shoot/job/year or however long you manage it for then no problems in opening this up down the track and exporting/accessing the files like normal.

You can either back everything up to the cloud or have a gallery style of cloud service/backup (Zenfolio/Shootproof/Pixieset/Instaproofs) or go for a cloud service (Backblaze/Amazon/Google Drive) etc.

15. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Thanks. It's interesting to see what people like yourself do. Like you say, probably more redundant and fast moving than I need to be.

I do copy the card to the hard drive before importing. Mainly because of the bug there used to be with date stamps not working if you imported direct. I don't keep these files though. I use the "move files" option when importing to move them to the main folder structure on my working drive and the backup drive.

At this stage I'm only starting a new catalogue every year. I'm storing all raws in one main folder structure which I let LR organise by year/day. It's a bit annoying that the second copy LR creates doesn't follow the same folder structure or naming as the main import location. Which is the main reason I'm wondering if a catalog will be able to find all the files it needs. I should really just test this. Or just setup an automated clone of the main working folder so the structure is the same.

16. adamadam

adamadam Member

My friend has the FlashAir, he uses it in his electric Leica so that he can put photos on instagram while travelling to show us what we are all missing out on.

17. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

18. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

That's basically the same as what I do, although my automated cloud backup hasn't been automated for a while now - I need to fix that.

The main concern here is that, if you get a major failure (fire, power surge, theft, etc) then you will lose both local drives and all your RAWs. If this concerns you then you'll have to find a way to move one copy offsite - either by physically moving the drive, or by uploading to a high volume offsite storage (cloud or backblaze or whatever is good now).

19. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Yep, this is what has actually made me think about all this again. Where I've just moved to has a bushfire risk. So I'm considering what I need for me to be able to get up and go quickly. Potentially just moving my second backup drive to a caddy so that I can just grab it. Still a risk of forgetting in the moment though. Maybe I should look into uploading to offsite storage like you say.

20. Deftone2k

Yep or just doing an external drive that you leave in the center console/glove box of the car. You backup to that and pop it back in and its mobile.. pretty easy offsite setup to remember. If you wanna take it up a level, have two of them and rotate each week/month leaving one at a friends or at work etc.

Cloud long term makes the most sense mind. It's always nice to have the archive even if you don't look back at it often.