General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

I've got the T2204X legs with K20X ballhead as my travel tripod. I was quite impressed with the ballhead. It's about 90% of my Markins ballhead (for my main tripod), at a quarter of the price.

2. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I shoot 90%+ of the time on my tripod and in all sorts of conditions doing landscapes. I have a Gitzo GT2541, which does the job - including no issues holding beasts such as a GX617 w/300mm lens on it in the past. I dunno which Gitzo you're looking at, but without a head they aren't $1200 these days are they?! I paid just over $700 for my legs locally when I bought them.

I don't clean my tripod, I take it out, I use it and throw it in the boot of the car typically until I use it again. I don't exactly go deliberately rolling it around in the dirt and sand, but it does get wet/sandy/muddy/dirty and no issues. I've had it about 6 years or so now and no issues. I have an Acratech leveling base and an Acratech GV2 ballhead on top of it, which is a very, very lightweight setup.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I didnt look up the numbers was just running with a number I had remembered from back in the day.

I definitely think my next long term live in the car tripod legs will be a Gitzo set that's for sure.

4. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Cool. Thanks for the input guys. I’ll have another look at them and see if I can come to a decision.

Trouble is, I’m GAS-ing over this, one of those Nisi filter holders with the sort-of built in circular polariser to replace my Lee one and then also keen to grab another AD200. All of this is very want rather than need so I dunno! Haha

5. SyN

SyN Member

Since we are on the topic of tripods, are there any tripods that have a mechanism like the two old velbons that I have?
    So they call it the 'twist lock' and what you do is simply turn the rubber feet one way and itll unlock all leg segments. Then once youve extended it enough you twist the feet the locking direction and all segments are locked. It's super quick, takes about 3 seconds to set each leg, but its a shame velbon dont do arca-compatible head clamps it seems...

6. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

You should be able to buy a tripod head by itself and replace the head on your existing tripod.
    My Sirui T-1205X and C-10S ball head were bought as two separate items (they were just in the same order).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

How do people deal with IG tagging? I was using an app that I used as a glorified notepad that I just saved groups of tags and it just had a button to copy a group to the clipboard to then paste in, but it is now unsupported by the latest iphone OS. Any suggestions? ta

8. Deftone2k

Using apps like Schedugram/Planoly/Latergram allow you to have sets saved.

I had different sets saved in notes on iPhone for when I was posting on the go.

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I have a set of stuff in notepad on the PC, use bluestacks to run a virtual phone and post that way (since all my images are via camera not phone)

10. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

ta. I'll have a look into those.

Likewise. That sounds awesome. I'll have a look. ta

11. SyN

SyN Member

I think the head is fixed to the column, so I cant just change heads.
    Are centre columns industry standard diameters?

12. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I don't think so. What's the model of your tripod?

A lot of tripods tend to use a 1/4" or 3/8" screw to attach the head

13. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Doesn't that sort of thing get you shadowbanned these days? Or is it a bit harder for them to tell than just switching modes in a browser?

p.s. ended up grabbing the K-10x + T-1205x combo. The other models I was looking at wouldn't have been much smaller/lighter than my RRS combo so figured I'd go almost all in on the travel size tripod option (all in would've been the T-025x).

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

You're not thinking of Pokemon GO are you? :lol: I don't think Instagram cares whether you use BlueStacks or not ;)

15. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Ahh so many good DJI Mavic deals atm, curse my desire for buying a house

16. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I post from Lightroom using a plugin - https://www.lrinstagram.com/
    Use the comments metadata field for setting tags, LR remembers sets you have used in the past.

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

herzeg and spankyofoz like this.
  18. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

19. metalrain

metalrain Member

Voted, and awesome pic! Good luck!

20. Deftone2k

Indeed very awesome, voted :)