General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Voted :D

2. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

nice shot. Voted.

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Bought DJI Drone, decided I wanted care refresh. <vendor> had a good sale on it, called them to check that I didn't need to go instore for it. "Nah nah all good it's an online process we'll send you the code". Cool I think, order late sunday arvo. Wait for automated email... never comes.
    Follow up on the monday, turns out the process is not automated, and someone manually emails you the scanned invoice and code. Needless to say I'm livid and now have to do the tertiary process for activating the drone (shooting the big video and all that).

What a pain in the arse.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Hi guys, I'm trying to find a simple answer and I can't find it spelled out anywhere specifically on the Adobe website...

If I use the new LR CC plan and import to my iPad with the camera connection kit and then import from Apple Photos to LR Mobile CC on the iPad does it duplicate the file?

6. Azrael

Azrael Member

Random thought. But does anyone remember those backup HDDs you could buy that you could pop a SD/CF card into and have it backup the contents of the card?

Do they still exist? I cant find many about, just super expensive options. I found the GnarBox, but it is billed as having a processor onboard etc, and maxes out at 256gb. Im looking for something larger, even if with spinning platters.

Double bonus if they function as a wifi hotspot and can be used for preview on a mobile device.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

WD Passport Pro does all that.

$$$$$ though. $320 for the 2TB model I think.

Edit: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...-digital-my-passport-wireless-pro-2tb/982855/

Has it's own 6000mAh battery you can charge your stuff off too apparently.

I've just about given up on my iPad Pro being my portable photo rig/every day laptop. The camera connection kit doesn't even import all the files off the SD cards any more.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Athiril

Athiril Member

There is a couple options, and in fact OTG via phone can possibly do all that these days too.

Raspberry Pi Zero can do it too with a script.

Literally was thinking about this intensively 2 hours ago, and wondered if I wanted more cards or a way to backup - and if I could do that without adding more devices/weight/bulk to what I normally would carry anyway.

Also saw there are cheapie 8-10" notebooks/laptops that have a usb3 port. Pretty sure I spotted one around the $120 US mark.

(most of these cases you should format the drive as exFat)

There is also the RAVPower Filehub, which is cheap, you just need the external usb HD and SD card.

All the commercial devices usually have their own battery built into them which is the major sticking point for me. Already have my own USB power bank.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I feel there's a gap in the market for a tablet like a surface pro geared for pro photogs that has a built in card reader for the major common cards. Surface Pro is okay if you're only into Micro SD... But who is!

10. metalrain

metalrain Member

Microsoft Surface Book? 100% SRGB, Awesome performance with touch screen and SD card reader.

11. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Ahh I didn't realise they had a full size reader!

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

Tech specs says so. It is big for a "tablet" but with an i7 and GeForce dGPU in the keyboard attached, it's probably the best all-round on-location editing system with touch controls. Pricey though.

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I mean if you're used to MBP pricing not really :)

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

Fair point lol. But I mean I guess for that kind of money, you can get much more powerful laptops with change to spare. As a "tablet/laptop" convertible though, there's no question.

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

I have a MBA for backing up normally. I just want something that i can shove a card into and have it churn for a while as im still shooting. The combination of many gigs of photos for timelapses and not wanting to use a laptop at night while on site make this kind of a thing.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I have the WD passport wifi thingo and its useful for sure if you shoot with SD
    not fast transfers but reliable and you can use it as USB HDD too.

I shoot with XQD now also so i'll probably look at the Gnarbox - you can expand it storage via plugging in a USB HDD anyway

17. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Hyper Driver are the products I used to look at all the time - https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

18. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone have a WD pro? Interested in whether they can be used as a wireless base station for things like Chromecast.

19. Athiril

Athiril Member

Think I found a cheap all in one solution for backing up cards to hard drive on location that someone on here was asking about, picked up this thing, no fiddling required. USB OTG hub with power injector. Since I already have a smartphone and battery I'll carry and portable HDD it doesn't add more weight and bulk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, a OTG thing is what i have used in the past. Just not keen on killing night vision out in nowhere to backup a card.