General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

2. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Greets Peeps,

Having long adhered to the rule of thumb in keeping to the same focal length/shutter speed ratio for sub 100mm lengths on FF (ie 50mm lens, ~1/50 shutter speed) as a general approach (obviously lends itself better to still shots, adjusted accordingly for action), I now tend to double the shutter speed by default at all lengths for a significantly better keeper rate (read dead sharp focus).

For me, this is in particular so at the 50mm f2, 1/125 sweet spot (D610/24mp) for general/kids portraiture; anything less than 1/100 and keeper rate drops significantly.

Wonder if the above rule of thumb of old is compromised by the increase in standard sensor size (megapixel/pitch ratio), and whether one should go beyond the double rule by default for intermediate/long telephoto.

What do you guys think; still follow the rule of thumb?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. millsy

millsy Member

Everything I've read would suggest that density on sensors is changing that, but you could also argue that VR / OS in lenses helps mitigate somewhat.

For me I aim for double to triple, but I have very shaky hands as well :)

herzeg likes this.
  4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I generally shoot down to 1/125th for 50mm and under. 1/160 for 85mm and 1/200 for everything longer (or at sync speed if its not having an effect).

Rather a bit more noise and something sharp than take the gamble.

Also the rule to my mind doesnt factor in the subject and its likely movement. Especially for people, shooting a faster shutter speed will always yield a better result.

herzeg and Pbx_Jnr like this.
  5. SyN

SyN Member

Definitely related to pixel density of sensor. The old rule of thumb was formulated during the film days
    High density 24MP on crop sensor or 45MP FF etc definitely need faster shutter speeds. But on the other hand ISO performance can make up for it these days :)

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep faster shutter needed on higher MP cameras, IBIS (best) or VR helps a lot and gets you back down to the old 1/focal length rule

herzeg likes this.
  7. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Touche re IBIS; as a bit of a pixel-peeping mofo, I can attest that my EM1 does fine with the rule, even slower than; and this is with some subject movement also (kids, pets).

6 years later, and I'm still torn between ergonomics (M43) and output (FF), ffs; A7III may be the hit that I need...

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah it gets more and more important on the a7r lineup with the MP level increasing - being able to have fast primes stabilised is really nice

9. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Anyone bought a decent Bowens to Elinchrom mount adapter? As in, I want to use my Elinchrom deep octa on my Godox gear. Would prefer to buy from somewhere in Aus but Google isn't turning up much (plenty of the opposite type of adapter though!).

10. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Can anyone recommend a good online photo printer? Nothing special, just want some high quality small and medium prints of various family and travel photos for framing. It seems like mediocre on-demand printers have driven everywhere out of business around here.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

These guys are good and shipping is reasonable https://rgbdigital.com.au/

12. millsy

millsy Member

Argh, it is so annoying adobe don't do a standalone version of lightroom anymore. What a damn nightmare, I just want to buy it and use it without any of this subscription bollocks. Don't need/want photoshop, and I just can't get into darkroom no matter how hard I try

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

who cares, just imagine you're paying $10 a month for just lightroom, its still cheap.

14. millsy

millsy Member

Lightroom was about 200 bucks standalone before, which is not too much less than the cost of a year subscription. I'd still be on 5 if I didn't make the mistake of trying the cloud one, it's wasted money.

If you take the approach of every subscription to every damn tool "only being a small amount" suddenly you are spending a lot :) And let's be honest, lightroom isn't a program that tended to get massive generational changes with each major release.

/rant.

Looks like the one lightroom cc feature I actually use, dehze, can be added to 6. Will have to install a trial and give it a whirl :)
    https://cutthruthefog.wordpress.com/lightroom-6-dehaze/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

dehaze is the best, and depends how you look at it.
    Fact is you'll need to upgrade anyway to get new cameras added if you ever upgrade, the speed improvements in the newer versions are very noticable, and the new profiles also look quite good.

I do use photoshop for some things too so i can see the value

16. Zee

Zee Member

Try Alienskin Exposure X3, there is a 30 day free trial. It's about AU$150 (US$120), has a very similar layout to Lightroon, and the management side is much easier (as far as I'm concerned). The files that hold the adjustments are saved in a folder *with* your raw files. So transferring to a new hard drive is just cut and paste. Done.

It implements layers - which is awesome. The only thing it doesn't seem to do is pano stitching and CA adjustment . Though the dev's seem keen to listen, and I think those will be implemented shortly, anyway.

I've been messing with it for about 5 days, and it has won me over.

You can still get a standalone copy of Lightroom, btw, it's just *very* hard to find on the website, and it's outdated, and won't be upgraded. I don't want to drop US$150 on something with no upgrade path, and don't really want to spend money on a subscription whilst I don't need any upgrades. If I were a pro, subscription would make sense, but this subscription bullshit is a joke for consumers, I feel.

Z...

17. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah, you can still buy lightroom 6 but its had its last update and they've said no more unfortunately. Good point though, I'll look into other alternatives like you've suggested :)

18. RnR

RnR Member

Darktable is available for Windows these days.

19. Zee

Zee Member

Seems good, I'll be giving it a try before I cough up for X3, but these days, I'm willing to pay for stuff that works well.

Z...

20. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

You can set lightroom to store changes in XMP sidecar files, which are stored with the raw files in the same way as you describe.