General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I wasn't a huge fan of the way it captured the image editing details, I keep all my images on a file share that's usually read only (in case I cryptolocker myself by accident don't want all my files going too) and the lightroom catalogue is on my system. Unless you can configure it work in the same way I guess.

2. Zee

Zee Member

D'oh! Too late now... Wish I'd known that 10 years ago...

Z...

3. Xang

Xang Member

If you change the setting now, then select your old photos and hit Ctrl+S I believe it will generate XMP's for your previous photos. Could be wrong though, just test it with a few and see :)

4. Zee

Zee Member

No, I actually mean too late. I had a system crash a year ago, and lost my catalog file. I also had no idea how the hell Lightroom worked out it's catalog for a long time, and when I started moving files from my Mac and USB hard drives to my NAS, I had no idea how to re-apply the settings. Seeing as that particular copy may have been thanks to Uncle T., I'll just call it karma.

I'm quite willing to pay for the software these days, but not a fan of the subscription model. If it were $150 up front, which is 1 year of updates, and then $10/mth for additional updates, and you could keep using whatever you had for life if you stopped paying for updates, sure, I'd be on board.

For now, I'll only buy stuff I can keep, and pay for updates if/when I need them.

Z...

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

6. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I'm in the process of acquiring cheap eBay gear to get my feet wet in "proper" studio photography. I've just received a YN600-EX-RT II plus YN-E3-RT transmitter, and have been toying around with them. I quite like the setup, and I plan on having two more flashes in the near future. Other things I plan on getting at this stage, a couple more light stands for said flashes, light modifiers, backdrop, that sort of thing, but there is one piece of hardware and I can not for the life of me figure out what it's called.

I assume it exists because it seems the whole point of a photo studio is that you have total control of the light, which seems to me, means you can have the room pitch black if you want. Obviously it's a bit difficult to see what you're doing when the room is pitch black, so I'm looking for just a room light, that switches off when the flash fires/exposure is being metered, that sort of thing. I'm not talking about any lights involved in the photographic process, I'm simply just after a form of room lighting that can have a flash receiver of some description plugged into it (hotshoe would be great - so I can simply get a Yongnuo receiver and add it to the system), but I guess any form of synchronization with the flash system will work.

I have a hunch that what I'm after might be called a pilot light, but I'm not sure. From the looks they're the huge fuck-off things that produce a shitton of light for a small fraction of time, like a flash. All I'm after, is a light bulb that synchronizes with the flash system, so that I can see what I'm doing, but it turns off when a shot is being taken.

Ideas? Clearly I'm brand new to artificial light. So in saying that, if anyone has any other tips for getting started in this field for me, that would be awesomely appreciated! The thing I want to do most in studios is portraits, and my 7D Mk II plus Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 IS shall be doing the grunt work there, with the Yongnuo flash system as described earlier doing the bulk of/all of the lighting. 3 YN600-EX-RT II's are planned here in total,

Cheers!

Holy shit, I would be far from ok with that. I would track that person down and find it hard to not kill them.

I can't stand thieves. Been around them all my life.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Sorry for the double post here! I've been doing some research, it seems like what I am after might be a modelling light. But I can't find any that switch off when flash is being used, but it seems from what others have said, that the light being on full time has little to no effect on photos, especially when the bulbs in question are only a handful of watts.

Could anyone kindly confirm this? I suppose I could just use a low power lamp or something!

Cheers!

8. Xang

Xang Member

You've got two main options.

Use a studio light that comes with a modeling light built in. These can be monolights (contained within one unit) or pack+head (where the battery is separate and you plug in the light via a cable). You can find units that run on AC or battery (or both). The modeling light will automatically turn off when you trigger the flash.

or

Use any light you want, and overpower it with your shooting settings (i.e ISO100, 1/200th or x-sync).

If you're just messing around with hotshoe flashes that you already own, option #2 is much cheaper/easier. Might mean that you can't shoot too wide open though, hence you might need to work at a higher flash power.

9. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Unless you’re shooting at really wide apertures like f1.4 (which you might be if you’re just shooting with speedlights), chances are you’re going to pick up minimal to nil ambient light from the average indoor light bulbs so I feel like you might be over complicating things here?

Try taking an exposure at your sync speed and the type of ISO you’d want to use for “studio” photography and I’m sure you’ll see the exposure is either very dark or pitch black before adding your flashes, especially if you’re shooting at f5 or above.

Unless Xang is on the money and you’re hoping to see a “preview” of what your flashes are gonna look like, which would be a modelling light which would be built into any real studio light.

EDIT: obviously I didn’t read Xang’s second para which says pretty much the same thing! Haha

10. Azrael

Azrael Member

Finally got around to updating my trave setup a bit. Added a Joby mini tripod and a remote shutter trigger and changed the straps over to the new PeakDesign gear.

[​IMG]

Serves me pretty well when I don’t want to lug my full frame gear about.

11. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

What lens is on the body?

I actually find the 12-40mm f2.8 is pretty damn perfect for travel during the daytime and then throw on the 20mm f1.8 for nighttime outings.

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

It’s a 14mm Panny pancake. Is quite good as just a low profile lens for carrying around.

While I have the 12-40 it really just stays at home these days. It’s much bigger and bulkier than this setup and the 25 and 45 are far better for portrait and 50mm equiv than their respective focal lengths on the 12-40.

If I’m hiking I’ll take the 12-40, but haven’t done much of that lately.

13. metalrain

metalrain Member

Perfect travel kit Azreal! I love the Peak Design Capture Pro as well, mine is getting a little bit worn out so I'm glad I picked that over the non-pro version :)

14. Zee

Zee Member

Not too different to my setup. I love my Capture pro, though I'm a big fan of the 17 F1.8. Kind wish Oly would release a weatherproof version of it - the 17 1.2 does appeal, but it's a damn big lens, and the 17 1.8 is just so small and nice...

Z...

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Mmmm I do love me some peak design gear too!

How do you find the swapping between the u43 and the FF? Do you often find yourself with the u43 stuff and wish you'd brought the FF?

16. birdie

birdie Member

Any tried/use a cheap/generic carbon fibre tripod from eBay?

17. Scootre

Scootre Member

I'd not risk my gear on a cheap tripod. Cheap carbon fibre tripods snap because they use fewer layers of carbon fibre.

Take a look at Sirui carbon fibre tripods. I was very impressed with the build quality and only bought a Gitzo - at twice the price - because I already owned Gitzo components.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/camera-accessories/tripod-and-heads/?cn=190&rf=cn

18. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Love my Sirui (Mainline in Sydney does discounts and are dealers too).

Worth the money spending more on legs you will use and get the most out of.

19. birdie

birdie Member

I already have a set of Manfrotto 190XProB Legs (Aluminium) with a Manfrotto Midi Ball head... I don't use them much... so I can't really justify the dollars for a "proper" CF tripod. Just saw the eBay ones and wondered...
    TBH a Joby GorollaPod (SLR) would probably suit my needs better for weight and size for travel for the few times I actually use a tripod...

20. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, Sirui here for a larger sized tripod; have a T004X and a T024X. Although to be honest i normally take the aluminium one, as the 200g rarely makes a difference.