General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Man all these recent sales are trying to erode my self restraint.

The 18-35 sigma f/1.8 is so cheap at dcxpert currently and a 70-200 f/4 popped up at a fantastic price second hand too. Curse you saving for a house! :lol:

2. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Long shot but anyone have a M42 to EOS EF adapter laying around I could buy off them?

I know they are like 2$ from China but I REALLY want one for this weekend.

I ordered a few for 9$ on eBay that claim they were in Australia but I doubt I'll get them in time.

3. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Got a cheap (~$100) Kingcrome case for the camera gear for when we go on family car holidays (nice to just pop it in the boot and not worry too much). Not intended for checked-in luggage (those baggage handlers are animals!)

12-40mm gets 70% of use I reckon, but will still make space for it to be removed from camera body.
    Got the bigger lens down the bottom to stop the top heavy lid tipping the whole case over if it over on soft surface (ie a bed).

Will likely go arrangement 1.

Any hot tips, or do/don'ts for laying out gear?

Arrangement 1
    2018-07-26 12.06.59.jpg

Arrangement 2
    2018-07-26 12.03.04.jpg

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Second way looks more aesthetically pleasing but maybe less future expansion space? I'd probably give a bit more of a foam buffer around the telephoto (is it the 300mm f2.8 pro?) particularly either side of the long axis.

5. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

It's the 40-150mm f2.8 pro with the integrated hood (LOVE IT). But yeah , will give it a little more cushion.

How are you finding the G9 vs the EM5? I'm holding off till a EM5 Mkiii is announced before looking at new bodies - but GAS is a struggle haha.

Edit - just realised you said Eos M5. Whoops

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    holdennutta likes this.
  6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Those Oly pro lenses always confuse me with their size!

I'm finding the G9 way more competent than the EOS M5 for stabilisation and C-AF and that kind of thing. Focussing is much faster even in lower light. I do notice the noisier images indoors but outside it's pretty close if not better. The ergos are way better too.

I just noticed that grey box is the batter charger :O Holy balls that's big! Even compared to the Canon bricks I'm used to lol.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Its still smaller than the BP511 charger, but i have a USB one for travel, its much smaller.

8. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I've got a dodgy USB charger off ebay, that was heaps smaller. But it's shite and doesn't seem to get the battery to 100%. Much disappoint.

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

I wanted the 28-75/2.8 for FE, but looks like its the same price as the Tamron 24-70 SP in Canon mount

10. Athiril

Athiril Member

Does anyone split lightroom catalogues?

Currently collecting and moving all my stuff into one place on a 4tb 2.5" external drive. Id like browsing through it to be faster. Can I store generated previews on my internal SSD?

Ive got two internal SSDs, spare is 250GB, so thinking I could split catalogue, keep both on external, and only newer/smaller on one internal SSD. Its that or get a 1tb SSD and replace the second SSD.

11. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've found that separate LR catalogs are a waste of time. LR is just horrendously slow and the biggest time saver was to only import files you know you are going to use. Previewing is next to useless as it can take a few seconds between images and when you have 10s, hundreds, thousands of images, you can't work efficiently.

12. Athiril

Athiril Member

I just realised I already have the catalogue and previews stored on the SSD together, and the images on the external HD.

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Photomechanic is seriously the best piece of software ever developed.

14. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I use irfanview which renders Canon RAWs instantly. Have a shortcut key to move the keepers into a separate folder then import those into LR.

In a typical shoot of an aircraft, I can sort/process/upload a batch of about 1000 images in 30 mins.

SyN likes this.
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah, Nikon's are the same in Photomechanic.
    Similar workflow, ingest to SSD, select keepers, invert and delete
    Then import into LR

I believe that Sony only embed a small JPG with their files, thats a turn off.

16. Xang

Xang Member

You are correct about Sony. It's shit. I shoot RAW+JPG to get around it, then delete the JPG's once I've culled.

17. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Ahh... That explains why I thought I had missed focus on all my shots when I was culling my first shoot with my daughters new A6500. I use the "embed & sidecar" feature which solves everyone's problems that they complained about with LR. But on a 4k screen, it made my photos look soft.

Do you import them and have them as a stack?

18. Xang

Xang Member

I ingest+cull in PhotoMechanic. Then import to LR.

19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Have to do the same on my Pana G9 as well.

YES! I opened up my G9 and did a few practice shots and zoomed up on the display and thought my camera was broken.

I shoot RAW to slot 1 and JPEG and videos to Slot 2 now. The image preview defaults to slot 2 with the JPG so I just review them there. Though there's likely little point as deleting from slot 2 doesn't also delete corresponding RAW from slot 1.

20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Try Irfanview and grab the plugins pack. There's a setting to render full size RAWs. For me, it renders them almost instantly. And with a 4k screen, I can see immediately anything soft. You can then use a shortcut key to move a keeper into a separate folder.