General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Well it was handed off to AusPost after it arrived in Australia and they did actually knock/ring the bell as I was home on the day they delivered, but kudos to Japan Post for getting it here so quick. Aside from that, the Japan based eBay seller also posted it damn quick, within 1.5 hours of me having paid for it and its sent already, so efficient.

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Yeah I've had no trouble with all the post methods being delivered on time, except for SAL.

edit: That just reminded me, Shinjuku post office wouldnt accept the extra insurance option for AirMail specifically because it was being sent to Australia... have to use EMS for extra coverage to Australia. I am guessing that means they have had a lot of damaged parcel claims via AusPost handling.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Sony stock in general has been sketchy as all hell to get for us in Australia. I just ordered a 100-400 GM for a customer with Sony saying expected ETA was early November...:wired:

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

At least they are giving you a Month. That is better than I am getting with my 24-105mm order.

5. millsy

millsy Member

I'll have to watch that, I was looking at getting a 2xTC for my Nikon 70-200 VRII instead of a 200-500 but everything I read suggested that was a horrid idea, really needed the V3 lens.

6. Athiril

Athiril Member

I should mention I got it at JB hi-fi for $765 on Friday last week. They had only the one and apparently just got it in that morning.

Other people have tested it also have shown it was pretty crap. I am still pretty suspicious but those guys in the video are pretty reliable. It's possible that the micro AF goes out vs without the TC. I would definitely test it out before buying it though, and I would check it @ 400mm in manual focus on a tripod or something just to make sure whether perfect focus is good or crap.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. Athiril

Athiril Member

Zeiss ZX1

This looks just like their Batis and Otus lens design appearance wise (ugly as hell).

I dont understand how they think this looks good. Prior to the Otus, their lenses looked appealing.

Then probably some avant garde hipster came along and fucked shit up, and they just ran with it? No one dared object?

I cant be the only one that thinks this looks absolutely awful?

[​IMG]

8. RnR

RnR Member

Aweful. And its a large camera too. And why would you need Lightroom onboard?

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

given the 512gb of onboard storage i guess they're "doing away with the computer" angle

10. RnR

RnR Member

Sure, but I would have thought a free licence for a Lightroom app download for your tablet would have been better. A bigger screen for a decent edit UI. The evf is nice though. Twice the rez of the Sony A7RIII. 800grams for a 35mm focal length system. Heavy beast. An RX1 is under 500grams.

11. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

It's not pretty, but nowhere near as offensive as the shit Hasselblad tried to peddle (Lunar) a few years ago; now that was vomitus maximus...

12. mtma

mtma Member

It's almost like they set out to make the most cameraphone possible but then stopped at making it a phone because they realised how much effort it is to support Android and maintain a non-shitty core experience. Better to nail the core experience and leave the niggling bugs (e.g: 'bluetooth kinda works but not always after this update' etc.) to the user's unfortunate smartphone manufacturer.

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I hate aperture rings! It's not the olden days, we have camera's with dual wheels and have no need for the damn things anymore (unless using a system like Fuji that does actually use them). I'm looking at you Sony. If you are going to put the bloody things on your lenses at least make them lock securely into auto. I see why there is a use for them, but they are way too easy to knock from auto where I was shooting at f2.2 into f16. I was shooting in aperture priority mode too and missed a couple vital shots until I realised what had happened and fixed it up. :mad:

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

Hm. why can’t Olympus get around to updating the E-M5... my v1 is still solid, but would love an upgrade for a few things, especially pixel density.

15. Athiril

Athiril Member

"Sigma says E-mount diameter is small and makes it difficult to design high quality Full Frame lenses."

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sig...ult-to-deisgn-high-quality-full-frame-lenses/

:Paranoid:

Guess no one was able to design high-quality full frame lenses for SLRs either then, since they have a much narrower maximum exit angle than E-mount and other mirrorless.

I know it's old, but with all this stuff about RF/Z mount diameter marketing going around..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  16. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Not when full frame technology has now reached medium format quality.

17. RnR

RnR Member

Film don't have cover glass. Some Leica lenses and their Russian copies gets very very close to the film plane.

18. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Isnt that article from 2014?

19. RnR

RnR Member

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

possibly related to the far far shorter focal plane distance with mirrorless (I dont do physics!)