General Photography banter thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Just haven't had the time to get out lately, sad times! Missing playing with my gear. I can feel my creativity lapsing :/

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

It never really goes, its like riding a bike :) Just make sure you go out again when you get a chance :)

3. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

It's a great camera, I love mine!

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Went out for a few drinks yesterday and decided it'd been too long since I'd had the camera out with me and took it a long. Nothing particularly inspiring happened, forced out a few shots of various things. Nothing really excited me which isn't unusual for the sort of urban/street environment. Much more excited by wildlife and landscape I guess.

Anyhoo - I took a photo of a sculpture that's constructed out of twisted vertical metal pipes or slats that are close together. I was having a fiddle in ACDsee this morning and noticed that certain areas of the image of the sculpture have been heavily affected by moire. I've never come across this before with this camera (Pana G9 + PL 12-60mm f2.8-4.0).

I'm using a new combo of FastRawViewer and ACDsee Photo Studio ultimate to cull and edit after cancelling lightroom sub. But I just recently noticed that ACDSee doesn't officially support the Pana G9... If anyone has a moment would they mind trying the RAW file in LR and see if the artefact is still apparent? If so does the lens profile built into LR correct it? There's manual moire correction in ACDsee but I couldn't get it to affect it other than making it worse :/

Raw file (~24mb)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gn3fzxIW35m52RG9_96XLfKU4ndfCsV8

G9Moire.PNG

5. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Is that at 100%?

6. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I just had a look. Present in Lightroom Classic as well. Visible at 1:1 but at 1:2 it is barely noticeable, the bottom right is more obvious. To the uninitiated it could just be an artifact of light/reflection.

And much as I like ACDsee their lag in supporting new cameras and lenses and often forcing you to upgrade to get support is a major turn off.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep. Less noticeable at 50% like kiwimeat says though.

Thank you heaps for checking that out!

Yeah - I'm beginning to see why so many people just stick to lightroom... I've invested money in Luminar and ACDsee as well as trialled DXO and on1. Nothing seems to be the complete package like the Adobe offering.

8. Xang

Xang Member

No profile for it in LR and the moire brush doesn't really help it either.

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Light stand will often blow over with the slightest breeze without some kind of suitable weight, and only usable on flat surfaces
    Tripod usable on many kinds of uneven surfaces, doesnt blow over when no weights are used since legs can be spread further. Even if needed weights the hook to hang something off the tripod is much more convenient then trying to find something heavy and small enough to fit in the leg gaps of a light stand.

Softbox on light stand wont spin in a circle since stud is not mounted on a screw
    Softbox on the tripod spins in a circle with the slightest of breezes since the stud adapter is mounted to tripod plate by only one screw (washer didnt seem to help)

I much prefer using the tripod outdoors, how do I stop it spinning?

All I can think of is a tripod plate with two screws, and a stud adapter with two screw holes in the bottom, or a tripod plate with stud that is one piece.

10. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Nobody has said anything about the new oly em1x yet? I know there are a few m42 fans on here so Im surprised.
    Despite the hate, if I was going to be a pro tomorrow doing generic pj, sports, action etc I would definitely spring for something like this. Menu system sure is shitty though.

Alas, I am just a noob so i''ll stick with my d1x/rd1x and film stuff.

11. herzeg

herzeg Member

Too fuckin' exy...

12. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Yeh probably, but then look at the lenses too. Maybe not to a pro but that depends on your definition of pro :tongue:

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I’m a pretty big m43 fan. Have a Panasonic G9 and love it. But that said the body, 12-60 f2.8-4 and 100-400 f4-6.3 cost me almost $5k buying on sale. No way I’d consider the extra coin for the Olympus now. I’m no pro but I’m going to suspect unless you’re doing stuff in broad daylight and need something like 800mm focal lengths and don’t have $12,000 to spend on a lens it doesn’t make sense versus a a7 III or even EOSR.

Which is exactly how I ended up on M43. Loved taken wildlife shots. Could afford an A7iii plus a Tamron 27-105 but nothing longer :(

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  14. 2SHY

2SHY Member

For the rumoured price, I'd rather go full frame Sony.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah pass.
    The biggest selling point of M43 is the size and they've gone away from that with the body (plus the price!)

Those that are in need of a built in gripped, pro level weather sealed AF body generally also need top notch AF and more importantly ISO performance and thin DOF which is what m43 lacks.
    I love that they've had the balls to do it but i cant see it being well received

16. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I've only read one review of the EM1X so far, and while it seems like an EM1 II on roids, it does seem to fall a little short in areas where their target demographic cares.... AF accuracy/speed and ISO performance.

17. RnR

RnR Member

Isn't ISO performance one of those endless journeys thing where no matter how good the ISO is for a m43 camera, it will always be lacking compared to ff ISO performance? Its kinda like reviewing a small car and then complaining about the interior space.

18. herzeg

herzeg Member

Yes, but it's just not good enough; I say so meself as an E-M1 user with a weak spot for the format.

If only Oly could make work with APSC sensors, at least - Sigma's DN lenses work on M43 and E mounts, so there is a sliver of ergonomic hope there...

19. Zee

Zee Member

I'm an M43 shooter, and maybe even a mild M43 fanboy, but the E-M1X makes no sense. It's an Em-1MkII on steroids, with all the wrong E-M1MkII parts still in place for near double the price.

Z...

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member