General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

people picked up on it HorrorLand , but we knew what you meant.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

After wasting money on Luminar and to a lesser extent ACDsee Photo Ultimate 2019 I think I'm going to suck it up and resub to Creative Cloud again. Though this time on the 20gb plan for $14.95/mo.

Since moving to not-lightroom I've edited my images less. Been less inclined to try to learn the new apps etc. 12mo + after launch ACDsee doesn't support my camera still etc. As much as Adobe receives a lot of criticism over cost and performance it is quite an appealing all in one solution and it does mostly just work.

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've tried other apps too and for the life of me, cannot replicate how Lightroom renders RAW images. I still curse and want to smash the screen whenever I use it as it's just sooooooooooo slow..

Ryzen 2700X, 8 core/16 thread machine, 3200mhz ddr4 and a 500gb Samsung 970 Evo.. so no slouch.. but scrolling through folders or cloning dust bunnies is a level of frustration that I wish they'd fix.

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep. I find it much easier to get something I am happy with in LR than the others I've tried. I don't know what it is! Perhaps familiarity? But it's not like the basic develop modules for any of these apps are amazingly different.

Basically same specs as me. It's definitely slower than other apps. But my library isn't too large and as long as you don't go searching for the image you want to edit in the develop module I don't find it too bad.

5. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I upgraded from a 4690k to an 8700k in part for lightroom, and whilst export is definitely much faster, just using the app feels pretty similar, which was a bummer.

6. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

WOW That's interesting, I have been considering an upgrade due to getting frustrated with the heal stamp tool..... I currently have a 3930K and was considering a 9900K now wondering if it's worth while?
    Maybe I don't need to worry about the CPU as much and the change from a standard SSD to a M.2 might yield better gains....or do I need to look at upgrading my GTX1070?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'm no authority on the subject :) Just my subjective experience, but the improvement in export speed is there. I'd say generally it's not using all cores though, bar the export, so it'd be single threaded performance for day to day stuff as far as I can see.

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Its just a pig of a program... better off looking at ways to optimize performance in app and see how it goes from there. The marginal gains with the other upgrades really could go either way. Clone tool swamps LR after a good amount of time, I get into a routine of restarting the app frequently when I am working away on heavy clone sets.

9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Yup, this was mine last night with a *very* casual persons' workload in it
    upload_2019-2-4_13-29-11.png

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah the clone tool kills it, and i'm habitually restarting LR to try and keep it performing ok.
    I tend to generate full previews, rather have it slow on import than slow when editing.

On another note, came accross Topaz AI-Clear
    I've looked at noise reduction options away from LR and generally found them not worth the effort, but this appears to actually keep/improve the subject sharpness pretty well.
    Have it on 30 day trial and ran some high ISO image through it and quite impressed.

Bit annoying that you cant really run it through as RAW (unless you want to edit in Topaz too), but at least seems to work ok on most JPG files.
    Supports batching as well which is important

11. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

How's it compare to the nik collection one?

12. RnR

RnR Member

I've read reports that it can operate on tiffs... so maybe export 16bit tiffs, do your denoise and then import the tiffs back again for further adjustments?

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Havent tried it - have the nik collection installed but never really used it!

yeah can do tiff's, but then the size blows out (if based on what ive seen with photoshop TIFF files) - would be awesome if it could plug directly into LR.
    Pretty happy with its performance on the jpg's anyway from the few tests i've done

14. Hater

Hater Member

Hardley Normals are doing MicroSD cards cheap, I got a 64GB and 128GB Samsung Evo Pro, the 64GB was $28 and the 128GB was $58 :o

Website says $56 and $96 respectively but in store chat to the people and yeah

15. Athiril

Athiril Member

Guess no one is talking about the Panasonic cameras because it seems pretty disappointing.

They removed the flippy screen present on their m43 models
    No PDAF
    1.5x crop for video or line skipped video (S1R)
    15 min limit for video, Panasonic warns of overheating
    several hundred grams heavier and larger than Sony bodies
    More expensive than Sony
    $2300 USD 50/1.4
    Introduction of microtransactions for cameras (pay for software key to unlock features)

Meanwhile Canon has the EOS RP leaked, which is Sony level light weight and size, flippy screen and in body IS. Hopefully they can get the video right.

Does not seem relevant to whats already available, but good step for Canon, and good to have at least some more competition.

16. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Lets face it, digital cameras in this day and age are overall, disappointing! :lol:
    Working in a camera store I've never been so bored of them...

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Because camera manufacturers, like computer manufacturers 15 years ago, have run out of necessary upgrades and are now trying to guess what people want.

18. birdie

birdie Member

Has anyone switched or considering switching to the Skylum Luminar from LR?

19. herzeg

herzeg Member

Yes, stewing over it; love the interface and the supposed processing speed - too consumed with read work to get to action though...

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Luminar is trash.

Very pretty. But doesn’t deliver on what they say on the tin.

I bought luminar 2018 which gave me the licence to luminar 3 with the DAM (which isn’t really a dam).

Tried it when Luminar 3 came out, was too slow and clunky. Back on LR now :(