General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. herzeg

herzeg Member

Shiet...

2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

3. wezz

wezz Member

Am somewhat looking around for something to replace my 80d. Was somewhat interested until no DPAF and its horrid rolling shutter in 4k. 6dii had some very soft 1080p too, so am waiting to see how that pans out. Also no 120fps at all.

New x-t30 is looking very nice though.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

will probably sell like hot cakes, good for those dslr users wanting to try mirrorless without spending huge $$'s
    Probably a few semi-pro portrait/family photographers too who want the FF sensor but the rest isnt as important

The price is the best thing about the body

5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Feels like a mirrorless body that you'd buy just so you could say you have a mirrorless. What are the benefits over something like a 6Dii, other than being able to move to buying RF glass? It's not cheaper, and with the EF adapter it wouldn't be a great deal smaller or lighter either.

Definitely a stop-gap body IMO. Unless it gets improvements via firmware updates, I feel the next-gen bodies will be the time to jump from DSLR.

6. Xang

Xang Member

It could sell VERY well if there was more low-mid range RF glass to pair it with.

7. Michael H

Michael H Member

Not if they do there homework and figure out the existing RF lens are very limited and cost a bomb. Maybe if they are happy to use adapted EF lens they already own. But the feature set is not competitive when you look at the competition. It is only mediocre offering.

8. Xang

Xang Member

Not something Canon shooters are known for.

2SHY and TheBear21 like this.
  9. spectre257

spectre257 Member

I guarantee you it will sell very well for Canon.

The segment of the market they're selling to is not the enthusiasts who are looking at the A7M3 or any high performance body. They're aiming this squarely at those prosumers who are considering upgrading to a 6D MKII and will most likely be picking up a 24-240 to use on their travels (seriously you'd be surprised how many people buy expensive full frame bodies to only really use it with a consumer grade zoom).

In short the same segment of the market you'd find 800D/80D users but more cashed up.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Shitload of people running 6dmk1's and crop sensors who will upgrade.
    Sure no cheap RF glass but the cheap adapter and the biggest selection of 2nd hand/3rd party glass of any manufacturer, 6dmk2 sales are gonna tank even more now

spectre257 likes this.
  11. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

6D2 sales had already tanked - I doubt they were selling other than that brief moment around Xmas when they were a few hundred cheaper than they are now.

It sounds like the 6D2 will still slaughter the EOS RP however for when things are moving and get 4x the number of shots from a battery charge. They're the real turn-offs of the RP for me. I hope the RP sells well, Canon/Sigma/Tamron get a good mix of RF glass out there, and then Canon come out with a decent EOS RP2 in 2 years time.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Hence "tanked more"....
    Probably not doing much action if you use a 6d, and battery life is a bit of a variable depending how you use it. I never really found that a determining factor in any camera purchase.
    I think the RP ends up being a bit more wider audience, so should sell better.

The large number of "vloggers" and hobbyist portrait photographers will jump on it, probably have 80% of them with a 50mm 1.8 living on it for its life.

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

14. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

The 6D2 has good servo AF performance (reportedly same system as the 80D), and 6.5fps. Nothing wrong at all with its use for sports/wildlife. And battery life may be somewhat variable, but we're talking in excess of 4x the battery life - that's massive. I've used mine for BIF and some aviation shots, and for when I don't have my 7D on hand it does the job just fine, and the battery means I can fire away and not even think about running out of juice in most situations.

The main thing the RP has going for it is that it has the latest lens mount and an EVF. A big percentage of buyers for this thing will probably shoot at arms length and not even use the EVF.

I'm struggling to see why the EOS RP is a good idea outside of buying it with the 35 F/1.8 Macro IS for 99% of its use. Otherwise it's neither small nor cheap (other RF mount lenses are expensive and quite large, EF adapter adds considerably to its size). It COULD be good, and it may yet be good, with some appropriately priced/sized lenses available. But not yet.

15. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

I go there pretty often, was there last week whilst in Tokyo, another two trips coming middle and end March. Will probably buy a few smaller bits for my D850, like extra batteries etc....that might be cheaper over in Japan than here...

Always enjoying spending time on the 2F in Yodobashi Camera, but bloody hell, their cameras and lenses are pretty expensive compared to some of our local Sellers, tbh...but like you say, nice gear, always great to have a look-see at the newest stuff, hold it in hand and testing stuff :)

Cheers,
    Beano

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    millsy_c likes this.
  16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Both personal preference i guess.
    I've had D3S and D4 batteries, and an A7rii - so both opposite ends of the spectrum and battery life never bothered me with the latter.
    The lens mount benefit is good for future proofing, but if its anything like the Z-series then the majority of people like me just use the adapter. Its still noticably smaller than a DSLR.

17. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Yeah mate for sure, sticker shock on the pricing there vs domestic was definitely a factor. I did end up buying a bunch of stuff from there, but not camera related!

The new update from adobe looks interesting:
    https://theblog.adobe.com/enhance-details/

Anybody played with it yet?

18. Xang

Xang Member

I wouldn't get excited about it.

19. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I just can't get behind the Northrups, dunno why, but every time I see them I just tune out.

20. Xang

Xang Member

I can see how some people would feel that way, but examples are examples.