General Photography banter thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I'll probably give it a shot on some examples on the weekend
    I was pretty skeptical about software being able to make a noticable difference, but Topaz AI Clear has given me some decent detail back in my initial testing

2. SyN

SyN Member

So far they mostly just optimise the pixel data without creation of any information
    The next step is using machine learning / AI to interpret the image detail and create pixel detail by extrapolation

3. Athiril

Athiril Member

Kinda feel keen on the Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE, but also like the Anafi for the vertical gimbal

4. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

I am in Seoul this week, last afternoon before returning back home tomorrow.

Let's see if I finish wok earlier, if there is time to visit Namdaemun Camera Market then, it should be approximately 50min bus-ride from Bundang where I am at. Would be nice to get a few smaller items for my d850 setup, depending the price. If I go, I will take a few snaps and post back later.

Cheers,
    Beano

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

eglobalcentralau have the Godox V860II for Canon for $177.. Ive already got one in Sony mount and the Xpro trigger, seeing as it would be off camera only, and the existing one on camera if I ever need it, is there any reason to not get this instead of another Sony version?

6. RnR

RnR Member

You mean like their AI Gigaipixel product? - https://topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

7. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Seems my access to cheap lightroom is gone so I guess it's time for my overdue review of options!

8. Xang

Xang Member

I use three V860II's (Nikon mount) exclusively off-camera with my Sony, they work perfectly. I use manual instead of TTL but should be fine regardless.

9. Michael H

Michael H Member

There will be no shortage of people silly enough to pay more for less and buy Canon. Canon counts on it.

TheBear21 likes this.
  10. Michael H

Michael H Member

Indeed.

11. SyN

SyN Member

12. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

In my early days of "photography" I used to be a fan of topaz but since then I've learned a lot and now they all appear to just be various forms of magic bullets.

This however I interesting (gig ai) especially after learning more traditional forms of enlargement. History is always interested though. I will actually try this and I am a huge skeptic so that is saying something I guess.

Posting from another sleepless night in the hospital bed.

Caleb

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

14. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Everything everyone has said so far I I I 2 pages atleast regarding camera sales and industry (JPN) is more or less correct.

That is coming from ex Camera House employee.......that has credibility and merit right?...........right? :lol:

RnR likes this.
  15. Athiril

Athiril Member

The V850II is also on special for $137, I cant decide if I want ttl in all flashes or not (same as V860II but not TTL)

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I'm usually pretty skeptical but paid for AI-Clear, the apparent noise reduction and sharpness increases are well worth the money.
    I tend to do a batch of all photos and then do a visual check after for any artifacts, I did a 350 image batch of motorsport photos and only had 2 that needed tweaking manually

RnR likes this.
  17. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

But realistically, does it make any difference or do you find it necessary or required outside of making huge enlargements? I mean, all I see myself practically doing now and in future (personal work) is max 24" on the short side. I don't see the point of going any larger unless for the sake of it at least regarding personal work. Fair enough If a client or work requires billboards or something but that is just not what i do for the time being. TLDR; still worth considering?

18. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Just decide when the time comes. Especially in sports where a heavy crop is involved then definitely having some tools to assist in enlargements can only be a good thing.

19. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Yeh totally valid esp re cropping didn't think of that! Only way is to test it and see for myself I suppose, although I'm no shooting pro its all interesting for sure.

Another tool in the toolbox, curious if ai was initially purchased by topaz or they did r&d themselves...

20. Athiril

Athiril Member

My pair of V850IIs arrived safely, all charged up now.