General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone have recommendations on good cheapish stereo lavs? Needing some to do off camera audio for interviews, but the vast majority of them are TRRS these days for phones, which plays havoc if you are using proper recording stuff, and makes it hard to do an L-R split for recording an interview.

Need cheapish, as the people doing the interviews arent the easiest on gear, and as few adapters as possible to reduce the screwups (have a series of interviews done with Rode SmartLavs which were supposed to be plugged in via a TRRS>TRS adapter... they werent).

2. Hater

Hater Member

leccy tape the adaptors to the rode lavs :D

3. Hater

Hater Member

i got me a lens that'll do 1.4 F stops

i can focus on my nose

the background is all blurry

this is great

millsy likes this.
  4. millsy

millsy Member

kaiwongbokehlicious.avi

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Pro tip - focus on the eyes. ;)

BTW, got me a 135mm lens that contains only 1.5 f-stops. ;)

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC cagalog migration migrated exactly 0 of my 36,000 catalog, now it wont let me migrate it again, saying its already migrated, when it is not.

Lightroom Classic wont sent the RAW files to the cloud storage.

Adobe is no help, how do I reset it to try migrating again?
    "
    Error: Already migrated. You already moved this catalog to Lightroom CC.

Solution: A given catalog (.lrcat file) can only be migrated to Lightroom CC once. You can, however, migrate other, additional catalogs.
    "

8. Scootre

Scootre Member

Clever concept. I don't like the idea of using one of these on a mirrored system.

"Please use Live View mode while taking photo with clip filter for Canon FF , because you will have to lift the mirror to install the filter and the mirror will block the optical viewfinder(OVF)"

You'd only need to accidentally turn off your camera - or have the battery run out - and down comes the mirror. Too much of an expensive risk.

Edit: I've just read a review and apparently, the manufacturer is claiming that the filter will stop the mirror coming down accidentally and say that it's safe to turn off the camera power with one of these in place.

The method for inserting these means that there's the risk of dropping a corner of it on your sensor.

It's less risk to buy regular filters. Or you'll save a bit of money using gelatin files and cut them to fit the back of your lens; stick them on with gaffer tape. It's an old trick that works well, though not for all lenses. Some lenses even have a gel filter holder for that purpose. Like the Canon 11-24mm lens.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Also CC is terrible. But its only the way to sync raw files. Tried importing a couple photos as a test, and it doesnt show jpeg+raw as one image, but as separate duplicate images... wtf

10. Scootre

Scootre Member

Hey Anthril

Try posting in the forums on Victoria Bampton's site, The Lightroom Queen. If there's an answer, you'll get it from one of the users or from Victoria.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

I managed to do it by removing the Lightroom CC folder out of AppData/Local

It is clearly broken that Adobe still does not allow Lightroom Classic to backup/sync original files to the Cloud and only smart previews.

12. 13atman

13atman Member

Anyone else following the godox v1?

13. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Looks a nice bit of kit. I am thinking of acquiring a speedlight that plays with my other Godox gear, will probably be this one.

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm looking at grabbing the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron while it's on sale so I have something on my G9 with a bit of shallow DoF fun which will come in handy with a baby that's coming in the near future. It's sorta like $1550.

There was a little up tick in "MFT cameras are dead!" videos and articles not too long ago when things like the X-T3 and the A7III came out. Which I largely ignored as sensationalist.

But - here I am getting ready to drop some decent coin and I'm wondering am I piling more money into a ??? 'declining' system? My G9 isn't going to stop working any time soon and it's really frigging good at what it does. I sure as shit can't afford a 800mm lens on full frame to replace my 800mm equiv mft lens that I love if I went A7III (like I've been lusting over for a while) .

Olympus just went possibly a little nuts with the EM1X which suggests they don't think it's dead. Though a last hurrah perhaps?

Anyone got any enlightened thoughts on this?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    herzeg likes this.
  15. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Too good to die any time soon; absolute worst case (short of new, organic sensor technology) is that they move to the APSC format; image circle of MFT lenses is enough to cater.

I was on heat to get the X-T3 recently (and replace my MFT/Nikon FF kits) and got cold feet when I realised that APSC just can't match FF IQ (for what I use it for) and is simply not "that" much better than MFT (for the other stuff I use it for), so I stood put and feel better for it - but, that's me; for this week...

16. millsy

millsy Member

I'm so salty at lightroom CC pricing as a casual user, shits me to tears I can't just buy it for offline use. Tried darktable and other alternatives and they're just not the same, need to watch a lot more tutorials that's for sure!

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I don't use lightroom, and can't see the appeal in it. However, there is a Photoshop alternative called Affinity that has a similar look and feel and while most filters etc. don't work with it, you buy the software for the price of 6 months of Photoshop and you own it for life. And there is a free trial available.

18. millsy

millsy Member

For me the catalogue side of lightroom is what makes it useful over photoshop :) I did have a try of affinity, if it had a cataolgue option I'd be all over it!

19. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I can see how a catalog would help with piles of random shots.

I do a portrait shoot every couple of weeks and after I have supplied the results, everything gets thrown in a directory heirarchy of year/name and rarely looked at again.

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's true I guess that FF is getting cheaper but it's still much more expensive than MFT. Which for lots of people is quite good enough. So hopefully that's enough for it to be kept around and not abandoned as manufacturers chase FF $$.
    Interesting, I did not know that... I'd happy buy a APS-C G9 tomorrow I reckon...

Oh man those Fuji cameras are sexy. Until I hold them and they just feel meh in my hands.

I spend many, many dollars testing Luminar and ACDSee Photos Studio Ultimate or something like that. Managed to get my money back for ACDSee thankfully. None of them really felt like a replacement to LR for me. I'm nowhere near a pro but the way LR handles import and cataloguing works feels good to me and I'm definitely the kind of photographer that takes 300 images in the hope of getting one or two good ones so having the built in rating system etc is handy.