General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

MFT still has its place for hobbyists, but the improvement in APSC Mirrorless and the entry level Full-frame stuff may not make it viable for manufacturers and market share.

Lightroom shits me sometimes, but honestly has the best catalogging and i'm used to it so happy to cop a price increase.
    Being the most used product does have its benefits when it comes to updates for newer cameras and features etc

2. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I love the use of plugins with LR. I can't live without my Pic-Time plugin that allows me to create and organise my online galleries from within LR. I can easily make a change to an image and just update that image rather than uploading it again.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. herzeg

herzeg Member

Glad I read this; I'm trialing DxO Photolab/Filmpack currently (brilliant, bar catalogue, so far, although the PhotoLibrary feature is more than workable for moderate volume or non-pro use) but I was considering giving ACDSee the crack for breadh of suite and pricing.

Pulled the pin on LR Classic trial on the last day yestidy, and they offered 3 months free as an incentive, if that interests anyone. Not convinced I won't go back to LR, just want to feel the competition.

DxO RAW processing is sorcery, even if percievably slower than LR...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. Zee

Zee Member

I use Affinity - brilliant on my iPad pro.

Z...

5. Hater

Hater Member

i told myself that i wasn't going to be one of those nerds who buys a $200 camera second hand then spends billions on lenses, but I have a 25mm (f1.7) and the kit lens (14mm and F3.4, bleh, is a zoom lens too not that i've ever zoomed in on anything)

i am most active at night so obviously the 25mm lens is on the camera almost always because i need all the light i can get

but today at a car show (midday, overcast, glary) i was using the kit lens because even at f5.0 it was all blown out... and i've realised that having the wider angle when taking video of things at night would be very, very beneficial

also I was to attach my microphone to my camera, but it needs a $140 attachment to do that because olympus sucks

at what point does everything add up to the point where you buy a new body? bleh probably no point because MFT is the best, the camera goes everywhere with me and a bulkier camera is a no go

bleh

https://www.camerahouse.com.au/olympus-m-zuiko-17mm-f-1-8-black-wide-angle-lens

so many smackers... ok i know you lot spend 10 bajillion on a lens but still in my world that's a spicy meatball and it's still not as wide as my kit lens :(

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. Xang

Xang Member

If you want fast and wide, MFT is a constraint.

7. Hater

Hater Member

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Voigtla...m4676a6789f:g:NhIAAOSw-9hcxn0-&frcectupt=true

mmm.

$1700 lens for a $200 camera anyone? :D

could grab a blackmagic pocket cinema for such dollars... so much bulk though

I have a soft spot for voigtlander

still have my opas 50's vito BL rangefinder

manual focus would suck, i'd lose 99% of everything i video!

so yeah. point taken. hmm.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Does anyone know if Lightroom will place files in their right albums and sync edits if you import them from the camera instead of from the cloud?

Ie: I import on Lightroom mobile, place in albums, make some adjustments and sync.

On desktop, if I them import the original files from the camera instead of sync downloading them, and then sync after their imported, will it skip downloading the files, and then download the album information, place them in album and download the rating info, tags, edit/adjustments?

Wanting to save on having to download and also time.

Also can you relocate Lightroom Classics file location source to what Lightroom CC made when migrating the catalogue so that stays updated?

10. 13atman

13atman Member

Got a godox v1 for a 'flagship' model it has the worst...or lack of proper documentation.

11. Xang

Xang Member

What are you missing? I read the manual the other day and figured it covered everything...it works the same as all first-party flashes anyway.

12. Hater

Hater Member

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Does anyone know how to mark/pick photos in a Lightroom shared album from the shared album link.

So clients/etc can preview and select which images they want?

14. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Not sure if it works on a shared album, but I just discovered if you sync the photos online you can do everything online. Ratings and reviews work the same as within LR, ie P to pick, X to delete and ratings using 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5.

I've never shared an album before. I don't give my clients that much input.

15. Athiril

Athiril Member

Found an answer to my own question for now... if you go into Lightroom Web, and enable proofing in technology previews, go to an album and at the bottom there'll be a few icons, one is a picture icon with a check box, click that then turn on Enable collaborative proofing. Then give the link to the other person, they select images and you go back to the same area itll show under activity, and you can select them and either create a new album or flag them (pick) which will then sync across to other Lightroom platforms.

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Just ordered a genuine Panasonic G9 grip for $150. Hopefully it'll help make the thing easier to hold when I'm doing video.

If not it might make the G9 attractive to my wife and she'll adopt it and I'll HAVE to get S1 or whatever lol

17. herzeg

herzeg Member

Y'all, nee some SME helps immeejetly, cos' I gost the yearns and (some) dollars to burn... :leet:

Currently using DxO PhotoLab 3 for RAW processing; amazing output but disgustingly slow exporting; a single D850 RAW to JPEG at same res, 90% quality, takes approx 2 minutes on my aged i7-3770/8GBDDR3/GTX660/No SSD/Win 8.1/4K monitor - yes a minefield of underspecced goodness and 4K doesn't help, but so fkn nice. FTR, currently queuing exports overnight - light amateur use, so no real duress per se, other than annoyance.

Given I only use the PC for photo editing, will I see a significant enough improvement in upgrading the current machine to 16Gb RAM, dual SSDs (OS, programs/storage) and Win 10 vs a new machine which would benefit a wider purpose (thinking Ryzen 7 2700X/16GBDDR4/RX580/SSDs or i7-8700/16GBDDR4/GTX1070/SSDs) ?

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

Not sure which versions, but the new Ryzens I think are overtaking Intel in multithreading performance iirc. Also iirc there is no reason you cant use an AMD GPU with Intel CPU or an nVidia GPU with AMD CPU if you wanted the better performance or to save money. Also the RTX 2060 seems to bench better than the GTX1070 and is cheaper, there is also the Vega 64 in that price bracket.

Anyway, I think it will come down to your biggest bottlenecks, and additionally if you have one bottleneck, but a second bottleneck that is just behind it, where solving one would only yield in a slightly better performance.

Try opening up performance monitor to look at disk speeds being used, cpu usage percentage, memory usage etc. Although at 2 minutes to render a raw file, I can hardly imagine that disk usage is the bottleneck, unless its constantly swapping in and out (paging file usage etc due to lack of memory), though everyone loves upgrading to an SSD for the first time.

19. herzeg

herzeg Member

Thanks bro; agree on the bottleneck supply-chain... I'm leaning more towards multi-core benefits of AMD for DxO specifically; had a work colleague test the same export on Ryzen 2700X and it only took 30 secs for the same file (vs 2 min on my toaster) - however, this is not compelling enough to abandon overnight processing, hence the idea to milk the current machine for what it's worth. Win 10/SSD/RAM "should" yield me some perceivable benefits...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  20. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Adobe still doesn't play as nice with AMD as it does with Intel.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-1298/#BenchmarkAnalysis

edit: probably an improvement over what you currently have though.

Yes, ram upgrade will be noticeable. Also, SSD's generally make everything better, especially SSD's dedicated to a single task. I have one that I use solely for working on my photos. I import to it, work on them and once completed move them over to larger mechanical drives or NAS for storage.