1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

There is a remote head available for the AD600, that allows you to keep the bulk of the weight off the stand. You could even use it as the counterweight of the boom. (I use a tripod as a light stand and hang it from the centre post for stability)

2. Azrael

Azrael Member

So it seems that one of my venerable 32gb CF cards has finally died.

Any suggestions on updating them? Same old? Or have microsd>CF adapters got better recently?

3. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

So I was happy with the light stand because I could fit it in my new Pelican case, but it can't handle my AD400Pro.

[​IMG]

I don't think I'll be able to find a light stand that is shorter than 50cm folded/disassembled that can handle the AD400Pro ...

And there's no extension head for it so I'm screwed.

4. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

That's unfortunate considering the capacity is rated at approx. 4kgs and an AD400pro is 2.1kgs...

I wonder if any other these would be better
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/691002-REG/Matthews_B387489_MERF_Mini_Extendable_Reverse.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1452273-REG/savage_ls_la6_nano_light_stand.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745180-REG/Rosco_290661049089_LitePad_Light_Stand.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...hive_c_lwts_lightweight_travel_stand_for.html

I have seen some good reviews on these but they were only using AD200's
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437336-REG/phottix_ph88216_padat_carbon_200_compact.html

Otherwise these are a bit longer but being manfrotto i'd say would be capable
    https://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/1051bac-stand-compact-mini-p-262.html

5. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Thanks!

The Matthews one looks the most promising in terms of load capacity ... though it's 1cm too big folded and I already have to squeeze the Selens which is 50cm but I may have some luck if I really punish the foam divider.

The reviews are positive but the reviews say the Profoto B10 (1.5kg) and Arrilite 750 Plus (1.5kg) are "pushing it" so I doubt I could trust the AD400Pro with it.

Should I take the gamble anyway (~$150)? Or just accept that I can't find a compact stand and get a proper heavy-duty one?

I wish the AD400Pro had an extension head too :'(.

How much does yours bend? Maybe I'm just too worried because my AD400Pro is brand new?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. Athiril

Athiril Member

That sucks.

I can’t see the picture, what happens with it?

I guess I push mine a lot further than most people would. It bows with the softbox and boom arm outwards off of it.

Only other option is a tripod, more stability but light modifiers spin with a light breeze if using a 1/8 screw to spigot adapter, though I suppose you could use a clamp that you normally on a boom arm with a double ended spigot.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’ll be taking it out next Saturday and can show the setup then if you can wait that long. Are you using a light modifier?

though I’m wanting to use two of the stands, two clamps and a double head clamp to run a backdrop cross bar and attach the softbox between the stands this time, but I can still show what I was doing before.

8. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

I'd love to see your setup.

I added some weights to the light stand (round weight lifting plates fits perfectly if you take out the centre column and slide them onto it) and it's a lot more stable but the bowing is still present.

I will be using a softbox -- either a 65cm or 85cm but I'll be happy with just 65cm for my portable setup.

It's coming in the mail so I can't check yet.

Right now my Pelican Case is holding:
    -the Selens light stand
    -3 x 1.25kg plates (they are the smallest and the case is small)
    -AD400Pro
    -X-Pro Trigger
    -v860ii + MagMod

I just hope the AD-S65S softbox will fit, I had to remove my other speed lights and s-bracket but the goal will be the rolling case + a bag so that's ok.

Mainly trying to avoid a separate bag for light stands + modifiers.

I ordered two heavier duty stainless steel light stands (for non-compact uses) and a grip thing for a boom arm setup -- just need to find a decent budget boom arm now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

What's the best value for money screen calibrator these days?
    I don't do prints so only need to get it close to correct.

10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Xrite or Spyder

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

I ended up just using it like this and playing with a pieced together double arm in the 140cm box, super stable didn’t need weighing down but lots of sag on the cross arm

Put them on stands individually, the stand is fine with the weight of the 140cm but I know In the wind it will cause issues even if weighed down properly because of the huge surface area will put way more stress at the joints. Other box is 95cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Woah, that's a lot of bend!

Thanks a lot, this was great.

I haven't had the chance to take it out yet but I think with the weight plates around the centre column I can trust the stand with my AD400Pro.

I purchased 2 much heavier (both in duty and physical terms) and taller light stands for when I can just drive to location.

I'm also going to order this arm: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/128cm-E...d-for-C-Light-Stand-Photo-Studio/383104651738 for when I want to boom it (not on the Selens stand).

[​IMG]

This is what my Pelican case is now looking like.

My perfect 1 light portable setup.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  13. Athiril

Athiril Member

The bigger softbox weight is okay when direct mounted. Boom arm off a single stand with the smaller 95cm softbox is pushing it though.

140cm will put a lot of stress on the silver lock sections though on a single stand, I had one crack when it was super windy (didn’t blow over but cracked one of the lower locks).

Yanoflies likes this.
  14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

15. Xang

Xang Member

16. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Done, good luck!

17. Hater

Hater Member

i'm still highly noobular, but i want to play with slo-mo and a real camera, not just using my gopro on the hotshoe and then swapping to gopro footage for slowed down stuff

then i don't know if i get something like a G85 as an intermediate upgrade until i get better skills shooting video, but if so do i just go full hog and try out a GH5 or GH5S... but rather than that do I go a double step up (and save $1000 heh) by going for a BMPCC 4K... or do I just sit down and shut up and stick with using my OMD M5 as I am still a bit shaky and things with it and still have much to learn

argh

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

[​IMG]
    Saw this, there’s probably something similar for the AD400, if not then at least on thingieverse.

weird how both the AD600 and AD200 have remote heads but not the AD400

19. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Congrats! :)

I've seen them as well.

I'll grab them once they become available, I've been waiting.

Haven't seen the 3D models for them yet but I'm sure they'll come eventually.

I hope the extended head becomes available in the future as well.

In regards to light stands, I'm thinking of trying this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026920551.html (the carbon fiber one)

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Has anyone here bought an EOS R?

My wife is annoyed I have stolen her 70D and have it attached to my telescope all the time. She wants to take photos of the baby while I'm out (I carry the G9 every day) and doesn't want to use phone cam.

She has a mishmash of EF and EF-S lenses she's accumulated over the years. Some are kit and no loss, others are decent lenses. Of the EF lenses there's a 40mm pancake, nifty 50 and 70-300. Really only missing something wide/standard zoom.

Would it be insane to buy her an EOS R? New firmware seems to have made some good advancements. She's not a pro so 1 card slot isn't the end of the world. We own more Canon lenses than any other and what we have can be adapted to RF.

I've planned on going Sony A7III for a while but if I do that I'll piss her off by stealing her camera all the time lol. Not to mention starting from scratch again.

Is buying an EOS R in 2019 against things like the Z6 and S1 and A7 III a silly idea?