General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Have me eyes peeled on a Sigma Quattro SD/H; anyone here using?

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Anyone rented a lens from Brisbane Lens Rental or others before?

Thinking of renting a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM for a weekend trip to SA for an airshow. Never rented a lens before...

3. clonex

clonex Member

i rented a few times when they operated from wakerley years ago, no issues.

insurance?

4. millsy

millsy Member

So after a bit of a mess up on my end, I ended up with a shattered protective filter on my lens (and thank god the incident would have shattered the front element otherwise). Anyway, whilst there was fortunately no damage to the front element, there is a few particles of glass "dust" for lack of a better term on the element. I've tried to blow off what I can with one of those sensor blower thingos, but there's some left over.

Is that something a typical camera store can help with? I'm just concerned if I do nothing the small pieces may scratch the front element.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks :) Insurance seems to be included according to their T&C's. Small value repair you pay the repair. Large repairs or writeoffs you pay an excess of 10% of RRP. Plus I think you have to pay the rental fee while it's being repaired.

Not unreasonable but could get expensive fast!

Though now reading the FAQ it sounds like it's optional. Who knows.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

I have used Brisbane Camera Hire a few times and never had any issues.

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have just had my premium account deleted by flickr. No explaination, no warning, no mercy - 15 years of images, contacts, discussions, messages... gone.

Because my account no longer exists, I no longer have the priority support it attracted so it has taken almost a week to get to the point where I think they are implying that my account was full of images that weren't mine.

I am not particularly impressed with flickr at this point in time, so am looking at alernatives and actually think something like Google Drive will do the majority of what I was using flickr for. Has anybody had experience with using it to distribute batches of images to clients? Can it do the resizing that Flickr does, or will I need to upload multiple sizes?

8. Hater

Hater Member

I am sick of YouTube reviews, they all 100% suck ass.

Can never tell who is being paid and who isn't, as a result, I get sucked into buying gear that sucks

9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Not an insignificant loss; will you seek closure with Flickr? Surely, they can't just fall deaf to your predicament - tell them you'll submit a report to 60 Minutes or something.

Do share your grief; what did you get?

10. Hater

Hater Member

nothing important, I bought an Osmo Pocket ages ago on the advice of several YouTubers, then actually trying to use the device for what it was touted for it completely fails at. (vlogging)

And all of the things the YouTubers said it would be hopeless at, it's actually good at. (helmet camera)

The one person I feel is actually using the equipment they do reviews on and actually tell the truth is Kasey from Camera Conspiracies, is there anybody else I haven't discovered who might actually be ok?

herzeg likes this.
  11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Gerald Undone seems pretty neutral, but doesn't do many gear reviews:

And Dave McKeegan seems to sink the boot into everything he reviews:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Angus513

12. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

It has been 4 days since my second (and last) response from them, and I remembered the only reason I paid for an account was because they brought in an image limit for free accounts and I didn't want to see all my history disappear. Now that it has all gone, I realise my new free account will allow me to use their image hosting services as I was before but only for distributing images to models and not make anything public. Fuck 'em. If they want to provide shit service, then I can be a shit user. I owe them nothing.

herzeg likes this.
  13. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Nice camera, he thought, till he saw the pricing...

14. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Actually, I may as show how bad Flickr's dispute resolution system is:

I couldn't find a means of even making contact with them through their website and eventually had to do a google search for it. Once found, I sent a message basically comprising of "Where have all my photos gone???" and got an autogenerated "We got your message" in my email.

A little over 24 hours later, I replied to the message asking WTF was going on.

12 hours after that, I got a reply stating that they had no idea who I was, and could I provide them my original account details, which I did. (Seriously - they had no way of linking my login details to my original account)

The next day I got a reply:

I replied assuring them that all the photos on display on my account were indeed mine, and to please bring to my attention any that they thought weren't but I have heard nothing back.

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's interesting, all the reviews I saw for it mentioned that it has a habit of wandering off to focus on whatever the hell it feels like and that the image stablisation wasn't as good as a gopro.

I'd have to dig to find out whose reviews I actually watched though. Generally I watch Dustin Abbott (very detailed reviews, although sometimes fails to make the direct comparisons you want to see), Kai W (largely for comedic value, but he's pretty straight about what he likes and doesn't), Tony & Chelsea (Tony is quite technical, Chelsea.. not so much. Need to watch followups though, I've seen their opinions change over time), Chistopher Frost (well rounded reviews, but can be an odd range of products), Jared Polin (I'd never make a purchasing decision based on his review, sometimes he's reviewing himself more than the product, but good for keeping up with photography news), DPReview (Sometimes detailed reviews, sometimes marketing bumf - but usually just as 'previews') Fstoppers (sometimes good reviews, much more general photography banter), Matt Granger (aussie guy living in NY, solid reviewer, less technical but more 'experience' based reviews, IE he went and used it vs he measured this and that), Peter McKinnon (Solid reviewer, but more interested in photographic/cinematic style than outright hardware). That'll do for the moment.. snowballed a little there, didn't realise I had so many subscriptions, and I probably still missed some. I think you really need a lot though, there's so much kit out there and they can only review so much. If it's not a big ticket item like the new pro level canon/nikon/sony etc or something of that nature you can't really rely on any one reviewer to cover it all.

16. Hater

Hater Member

To be fair, the hunting was a big problem, but it has been resolved with firmware. The stabilisation is really good - Far better than the 7 Black/X3000 (I own both) - Who knows with the 8 though.

The issue with vlogging with it is the focal length, it's a 28mm equivalent lens so unless you like constant closeups of your head or holding it out on a stick, it sucks. Nobody wants to watch a vlog of someones head up close all the time, and carrying a stick with you ruins the whole "pocket" aspect of it. You can't fix that with firmware.

It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't touted as a vlogging camera, but it is, majorly. Anyone who -actually- spent some time vlogging with it would know how useless it is for doing so, simply because of the focal length.

Same with the low light performance, it is absolutely shite. (It's not like the GoPro or Sony cameras are any better mind you) but soooo many reviews saying "Oh, it has a lens fixed at an aperture of F2.0 so low light performance and object separation is really good"

No it's not you fuckwit, it sucks, stop reading the spec sheet and actually use the device fuck you.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah I think that is a product of the environment youtubers are trying to survive in. They need to get a review out fast to capture those views early on, otherwise they just can't survive. Unfortunately fast means they miss those 'you have to live with it' details.

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

Does anyone know if HyperSmooth, RockStready (DJI osmo action) work with other lenses? (For example the GoPro ribcage etc) wondering if it’s specifically coded in/tuned for that field of view since they have gyros etc they wouldn’t need to measure image movement based on the image directly provided by the lens.

19. Hater

Hater Member

yes but not with fisheye lenses

i still don't understand why you'd spend $800 on a backbone when that gets you a fairly juicy m43rds mirrorless which will be superior in every way

gopros are action cameras, so lets make them not waterproof and add glass you wouldn't want to put in risky situations... ok

20. millsy

millsy Member

Bloody hell that's ridiculous, you'd think that sort of dispute would be a BAU issue for them they'd have better methods to work through.