General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

It's now the 7th day since my second response from them, I guess they have said their last word on the matter.

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

I dislike micro four thirds, also on the hero 7 black you can just take the lens cover off and unscrew the lens (apparently you can’t on the hero 8). It doesn’t break the waterproofing.

4K60 with HyperSmooth, 1080p240 slow motion.

weight, size, form factor. Stabilisation.

I already have a nice sharp 76 degree m12 thread lens. I broke my cheap action camera I had it on though.

I would get an APS-C Sony with a Samyang 24mm before I even thinking about MFT.

3. Hater

Hater Member

jesus christ, did an olympus rep eat your first born son or something

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  4. Athiril

Athiril Member

No, but there’s no reason to downgrade or settle for less. In that situation where I could use a bigger camera, I’d get an APS-C Sony with an ultra light lens, that can tie in and be compatible with the rest of my kit.

Even if I was starting from scratch I would not give MFT a second thought. Sorry if that offends MFT fans, but it just doesn’t compete tbh for me.

For example, last someone tried to talk me into it, an equivalent kit (with not as shallow DoF when I need it) to what I use was 894grams vs the 861grams of my full frame kit.

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

M43 is all about the size for me. No way to cut it being able to squeeze a complete prime full frame setup into a PD Field Pouch. M43 is trivial:
    [​IMG]

6. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyway, on another topic. Anyone have a recommendation for a good travel 4xAA battery charger? Needs to be multivoltage, and preferably Figure 8 plug.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Travel charger might imply smaller than this suggestion, but about the best 4x *anything charger going is the nitecore intellicharger i4. $30 or less on ebay. Will charge pretty much anything you can fit in it, and takes a figure8 cord as well as 12v for your car etc.

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, possibly a bit bigger than i was looking for, but not terrible. Probably anything with AC input will be larger than the little USB only ones which i shudder to think how long will take to charge a full array of Eneloops.

Also available same day Amazon Prime, which could be useful if i need one in a hurry.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  9. Hater

Hater Member

lol what

you are looking at investing in another system, the backbone system, so that argument about current gear compatibility is moot

only mentioned micro 4/3rds due to the bodies being way smaller than other systems, the same reason why you might invest in the backbone system

don't want to "settle for less" yet you're looking at strapping a gopro to some cheap chinese glass. awesome

10. Athiril

Athiril Member

it’s a sharp lens. There are plenty of great m12 lenses, even the stock lens on my Chinese T5e is very sharp.

and no it was an example so people knew what I was fallout about it, On the hero 5-7 black you can pull and twist off the lens cover and just unscrew the lens without breaking anything or compromising waterproofing.

and it is settling for less when I can get the same weight or lighter in a better apsc setup that additionally shares the ecosystem of what I use now, it is a no brainer.

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

Lightroom for iPad has been updated and now you can do batch pasting of settings! (Finally).

Also Photoshop for iPad is finally out! It’s included in photography subscriptions prior to Jan 2020, full Lightroom integration isn’t there yet, so you Have to use the “open in” option, but also finally!

12. Hater

Hater Member

yeah you're speaking to someone who uses these things daily, what the hell would i know right?

A backbone mod is a hell of a lot more than just twisting the frontlens cover off and twisting a C-mount onto it, they relocate the sensor and everything

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

yes because I know you and specifically targeted my post towards you and didn’t post on a general forum :rolleyes:

14. Hater

Hater Member

it was mentioned in the post like one post before yours on the previous page :S

i'm curious about some of the low light performance though, i want superview but low light with a stock camera suuuuucks, the osmo is much better in that regard but the lens isn't wide enough

RX0 II maybe? who knows.

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Import from SD card directly seems to work now too!

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

17. millsy

millsy Member

Anybody got a 24-70 f/2.8 non VR nikon lens cleaned recently? There's a cheap one I'm looking at second hand but it has some very early days mould in it and needs a clean, i have no reason to think that mould has scored the glass.

18. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Hmm thinking about finally pulling the trigger on a Godox AD400 to bolster the old lighting kit but unsure whether to pay the premium to get a potential direct route for any repairs or to wing it and save some money.

arahan photo near me sell em for around $1k and claim to back the warranty but grey sellers are about $750 so a pretty decent saving!

a plus of buying locally is getting it sooner obviously...

Any opinions?

Also, can anyone recommend a solid option for strip boxes? Looking for something to suit standard mid-length type portraits so prob around 90cm-1m long. Would like a grid and setup to be easy (ie want to avoid a cheap as chips one if it’s painful to set up). Bowens mount.

19. Athiril

Athiril Member

I got a pair of 30 or 40x140 I think, theyre much bigger than I Imagined them to be if that helps.

also or the AD400 doesn’t have a head extension while the AD200 and AD600 does.

Do you need that much power?

20. Zee

Zee Member

Each to their own. Been happily shooting M43 for 5 years or so. I do think Oly is kinda stagnating with sensors, though. Not sure about Pana. I do love Oly's lenses, though.

Z...