1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Xang

Xang Member

FWIW, I bought a Godox V1 from Arahan Photo and the warranty service was excellent when it stopped working after a couple of months. Super quick repair, no need to ship overseas.

2. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Yeah the lack of extension head is a bit annoying but one is supposed to be coming right? This would be to replace an Einstein and I already have 2 AD200s so yeah it’d be good to have a bit more powerful for a key light occasionally. I did entertain the idea of just grabbing another AD200 tho...

Re the strip boxes, thanks for that - I think that’s solidified that I only need something like a 30x90.

Thanks - that’s good to hear (though not that it stopped working so soon!)

3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

A month ago, Flickr decided to delete my 15 year old account with tens of thousands of photos. It was a paid for account and their only response to my queries was a vague hint that it was due to sharing images that weren't mine. I have disputed this claim and demanded a review, but they have ghosted me.

Flickr was my go-to archive, as it had thousands of edited images nicely organised with keywords, mostly in private directories and now that I no longer have this resource, it got me thinking of properly organising and backing up my images that are scattered over several external hard drives.

So I bought a 6TB external HD and collated all 15 odd years of photos I have taken, organising the by year (about 4-5TB) and have been copying the sorted images of my latest photoshoots to one of the other hard drives.

The plan is find time to go through the larger drive and back-up the already sorted "good" images to the other drive, allowing me to have all my images at hand, and all the important ones backed up.

However, last night I accidentally pulled the 6TB HD off the desk which landed hard on tiles and now makes horrible scraping noises when trying to start and sounds like the platter spindle is slightly bent as well so that plan is no longer valid. :(

The cold light of day reveals my photo collection now comprises of:

* the sorted files from all of my recent shoots that I had backed up,
    * most of the rest of those latest shoots I managed to undelete from one of the other hard drives,
    * the low res images I have on display at 500px.com/miketz

I know that at least one recent shoot is completely gone (Was a collaboration with another photographer, so the model will at least get images from it)

Looks like a new beginning for me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's pretty crazy what Flickr have done to your account.. especially without no avenues for conversation about it.

That sucks.. what happened to all the sources that you copied onto the 6TB from? Did you delete them all? =/

I buy 2 x 3TB Drives which is my duplicate onsite/offsite backup of my shooting for each calendar year which is in addition to have about 14TB in the cloud now.

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I managed to free up a complete external drive, which I filled with videos and loaned to a workmate :(

6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Bummer man. Perhaps try (having someone) repair the drive...

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I put up a public message on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157711797004232/

Flickr locked the thread and sent me the following email:

So confirmation that they deleted my account because they thought most of my images were stolen, with no means to appeal the decision.

8. Deftone2k

They replied to the last post so I would be checking your inbox!

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I did. The contents of the quote was that email.

10. Deftone2k

You have a line of conversation at least if you want to pursue it.. id be chasing it down the line if it's the last option now.

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

That is the same line of conversation they have been ignoring for weeks. There are 15 emails in the conversation, only three of them are from Flickr.

Deftone2k likes this.
  12. Zee

Zee Member

NAS. NAS. NAS...

Or a DYI server, or whatever... I've got all my pics since about 2007 stored on my NAS. I'm slack, and I ditched Lightroom years ago, so it's just a jumbled mess of RAW file s- but they are all there and safe, with an additional back up on USB, just in case.

I can't stand dealing with these companies - they seem happy to ban/delete/remove access on a whim with absolutely no consultation, or request for evidence on your part.

Hopefully it works out for you.

Z..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  13. Deftone2k

Maybe write an email to Petapixel and see if they have heard of it and kick more of a stink up about it :)

herzeg likes this.
  14. millsy

millsy Member

Agree with this, those sites love stories like this to drum up some controversy, it's a shit practice and needs to be called out.

15. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Sent them a brief email through facebook - it remains unread so may have to look at other means of attracting their attention.

I love how Flickr's reply was "It looks like we recieved your email" rather than "We have just found several emails dating back weeks".

16. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Another one you could send the story to is Fstoppers, I have seen them run similar stories before and the results have been usually positive.

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

18. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Update:

I woke up this morning to a reply to the Facebook message I sent to PetaPixel in which they asked for more information.

I also had an email in my inbox from Flickr, an actual email with someone's name attached with actual details about the why they deleted my account. So, exactly one month (to the day) after they pressed the big red button, and one hour after we entered negotiations, we came to an arrangement whereby they will restore my account and I will delete the handful of images I uploaded into private directories that weren't actually mine as examples for models.

Note that Flickr weren't unjustification to their actions - I uploaded some example images into a private directory but accidentally missed making them private, and a couple of them were NSFW. Flickr sent me a warning message (which didn't get to me because I cannot change my default email address in their system) and then shut my account down 3 days later when I didn't respond. It would have been nice to get the email that I got this morning a month ago when I asked what happened.

TL;DNR

All good, got a better result than I expected.

Zee and herzeg like this.
  19. Deftone2k

Good result, pays to persist and especially after your hard drive issues :)

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I cut off Flickr a while ago, then when they were subsequently bought out by SmugMug i didn't do anything either and let my membership lapse so had to delete photos to stay <1000 since i wasn't using it. Now i've signed up to SmugMug some year/s later lol.

At least you've got it all back now and hopefully you'll use it as an opportunity to download and archive it all (does Flickr offer a download all option?)

Dark Orange likes this.