1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Nikon D780 pricing... :leet:

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Insta360 One R looks interesting

it’s a GoPro style camera, but modular, comes apart, screen can be take off and face forward. It’s 1 inch sensor and 158 grams

3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, I have seen some of the reviews.

Unfortunately, it seems a bit rushed as while it is in the hands of the youtube reviewers, they are not allowed to publish footage until there is new firmware. (and the 1" sensor module isn't available yet.)

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Speaking of youtube, It took me a while to warm to this channel but I now think it is the funniest channel out there.

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

So the Hero 8 Black can do a 30 image burst in raw photo in 1 second (or 10 seconds), and I took advantage of that to do some image stacking from some hand held shots at night.

First is regular image, second is with curves lifting it up, third is 29 image stack with curves lifting it up.

I find it interesting how you can get so much from next to nothing. Its not like the noise is simply hiding this detail, without the noise thered be nothing there.

I think if you had too clean of a raw image with a lack of noise, that stacking wouldnt be able to bring back detail like this.

https://i.imgur.com/cK8EtrU.png
    [​IMG]

millsy likes this.
  6. millsy

millsy Member

Neat to compare!

7. Hater

Hater Member

heh yeah kasey's a funny guy.

i love his squirrel slo mos

8. millsy

millsy Member

IDK what it is about the northrup stuff but just the branding / videos etc. rub the wrong way for me

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

There was a sudden change in flavour of their videos recently when they decided to stop being actually informative and go the clickbait titles, controversial claims, and number of comments route of getting into 'trending'. That's when I stopped watching.

10. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Olympus E-M1 III; $3K RRP...

Is Oly flogging a dead horse here?

11. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Is m43 as a whole dying? I'm not suggesting it is, I genuinely don't know as I don't really follow it.

I'm a tightarse, I'll probably buy into mirrorless systems as they die and are going super cheap 2nd hand. Maybe as the system-jumpers that went Canon->Sony start heading back to Canon soon I can snatch a cheap Sony mirrorless body to play around with.

12. mtma

mtma Member

Dead is probably too extreme - 'mature' is a better way of putting it. Manufacturers have run out of things to release to gather the hype.
    That totally hasn't worked for Pentax Q - the termination of the line has caused the residual value of second hand goods to hold better.

13. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I don't see Pentax Q owners as like those from too many other systems, it's a pretty unique system.

14. Hater

Hater Member

yeah I dunno if I keep buying M43 stuff or if I jump up to a full frame Sony or canon. So expensive compared tho

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

I think im going to get one upgrade for the M43, just to keep it going as a travel camera, probably just get the GX9 body and use the existing lenses.

But then again also considering a newer X100 and using that as a travel camera for a while. The X100 series is just so much fun. Yet the X100F is bloody expensive.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, m43 is sorta engineered into a corner at this point - realistically at that sensor size you're not going to get any more useful data by increasing resolution, so what's the next big thing?

17. mtma

mtma Member

For m43 if I were one of the manufacturers I would be looking to play the meta with a pinch of technology right now. m43 is above all an enthusiast and travel system. Yes Sony's time in the limelight has pulled the meta soley to image noise and AF performance. Affects the results for sure, and it's certainly a detail to not be missed for pro's. But m43 will never be the strongest there.

Can't use all the pixels? Why not give light field a look in again? Maybe with the improvements in technology it's now feasible in m43.

A combination of a well timed awe inspiring photo set followed by a competently priced one-trick body (wideband BW only body for example?), would be enough to put the system back into the hype stream.

18. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

M43 living or dying will come down to some new sensor tech I think. I'm pretty heavily invested in M43 but playing with my Wife's EOS R gives me a serious case of envy once there's less than broad daylight. I've taken some really lovely images with the G9 (to me anyway lol) that I am sure wouldn't be any better with full frame but they were in decent light. Once that goes away M43 shows its weaknesses very quickly.

I do like how manageable my G9 is with a grip and 200-800mm equiv lens attached. Can just slip it into the backpack no worries. Not sure you could do that with FF.

19. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

I still have an E-M1.1, with a bunch of bread and butter primes; the only reason I'm holding on is in anticipation of that, left-of centre, revolutionary sensor upgrade that will let me keep using these lenses... Till then, it comes out every couple of months for shits n giggles; and for general stuff, it's still "good enough".

Something like an improvement based on the Foveon sensor (for IQ and high ISO performance) would be just swell.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  20. Hater

Hater Member

buy mine

yeah reason i went with the GX9 was the portability, very important as i only have a motorbike to get around on, but as i do 80% night stuff it's just more limited than i would like

sucks there's tradeoffs with everything