General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

'Ow much?

2. Hater

Hater Member

Make an offer I guess. Boxed, all accessories, receipt, warranty until October. Also have a bunch of MFT primes to sell too if you buy it as I’ll go to Sony if I sell this camera.

3. Grimwolge

Grimwolge Member

Interesting that this old thready got bumped recently.

I've been considering my DSLR options. I don't do a heap of photography anymore but I've invested a lot in full frame Canon glass over the years. Enough to make me not want to change brands. For anyone reading between the lines, that means I have enough Sigma Art, Zeiss ZE and L series lenses that it would make zero sense to jump to Nikon or Sony.

With the price of the 5D MK4 (brand new) being as low as it is recently, I've been considering moving up from my 5D MK2 for a while now. Yeah I know - but the 5D2 still does the job for what I use it for but the MK4 would be more than enough for my needs. Faster AF and better ISO performance in extremely dark environments is about all I salivate over.

Now that it's likely the 5D series may not continue and Canon will move forwards with the mirror-less bodies (Well, hello Canon R5) I'm probably going to try and hold out a little bit longer. Everything I've read so far says the performance of older Canon lenses has been really good on the mirrorless bodies so I'm thinking of saving my money for a little bit longer and consider the R5 later this year.

4. Hater

Hater Member

don't discount mount adaptors, one of the beauties of mirrorless

5. Grimwolge

Grimwolge Member

Interesting. never seen many reviews that are fans of them.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

My Canon glass generally worked better when adapted on my Sony than they did on my Canon bodies. The pitfalls are generally focus performance at longer focal lengths, low light performance and the occasional need to remount the lens if the focus starts hunting hard.

It's a great way to ease yourself into it without having to do the full switch in one go.

7. Grimwolge

Grimwolge Member

Thanks, I'm going to consider it, I think for now I'll stick with the Canon - the specs on the upcoming Canon R5 look to be more what I'm going to be wanting medium term out of a body.

Knowing what you've said really makes a solid case for a Nikon Z6 though.

8. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

if you've got a ton of Canon glass, I'd either wait for R5 or give Sony a go. I'm still using a ton of Canon glass via the Sigma MC-11 adapter and what Deftone2k said is spot on. You're also in Brisbane, so if you were keen on coming over and trialling some of your lenses to see how well it works, more than happy to tee up a meet up :)

9. Grimwolge

Grimwolge Member

That is extremely kind of you. I may touch base before I commit to the R5 :)

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

20% off Panasonic S bodies and lenses at DCW... I wonder if new models coming soon or whether they’re just not selling anything.

I adore how my Panasonic G9 handles and would love to go FF Panasonic but having now gotten a lot of time behind my Wife’s EOS R and phase detect AF I don’t think I want to invest so heavily in DFD focussing especially when it basically locks you to first party lens.

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Unsure which section to ask this, but I hope this will get me the answers I need.

Is there a reason why images viewed/edited in Photoshop and Windows Image Viewer would have 10-15% less vividness that the exact same image displayed in a web browser on the exact same monitor? (Colour-space is sRGB and experimentation has shown that the Web Browser is probably the correct vividness)

Are there ways that different programs can use different monitor profiles?

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Which web browser? Both the other applications you listed are colour-managed and will use the Windows ICC profile, but not all Web Browsers will...

13. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Chrome and Firefox

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Are your images actually tagged as sRGB? Both browsers do the right thing with tagged images, but Firefox just displays untagged images as full-gamut while Chrome assumes sRGB (last as I checked, anyway).

15. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Photoshop doesn't complain when I open them back up, so I believe they are.

Just noticed that the new Win10 "Photos" viewing app displays the images oversaturates, while the old "Windows photo viewer" displays them the same as Photoshop.

This is a screengrab to show the difference between the two programs:
    _ColourSpace_2.png

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Windows 10 Photos is not colour managed. So far, what you've described is that every colour-managed application shows the less-saturated version.

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Wait - you're telling me that microsoft had a colour managed image viewer and replaced it with a new viewer that does exactly the same thing, but isn't colour managed?

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yes.

Personally I don't like either, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FastPictureViewer and XnView both behave sensibly FWIW.

19. Hater

Hater Member

Today I was doing a shoot not-for-me (as in... i'm purely a hobbyist, I was paid but i'm not going to call it a "shoot" as that sounds too professional and sets standards too high...) and it's the first time i've gone out there with a full manual lens... My Rokinon 12mm. I missed focus a few times, but overall great success - the continuous autofocus on the GX9 is not good or reliable enough to pick up what I want when I want and creates unreliability/hunting - At least if I miss focus, I 100% know how to remedy the situation next time.

Anywho, you can't manually focus with an autofocus MFT lens - Not while videoing anyway - Simple - The focus ring on the lens is electric, not manual. It's not tied mechanically to the lens. If you turn the ring quickly, the focus range moves quickly. If you move it slowly, it requires much more ring "movement" to move the same distance. When you're expecting the lens to focus at the same point on the ring as it does optically, but it doesn't it's unusable. You can't pull focus, as you have no reference to where the focus will be!

I guess after today i'm keen to sell all my autofocus primes... as I can't use them anymore. So I need to replace a 25mm, 17mm and 14mm lens. (Actually the 14mm can probably just be replaced by the 12mm)

I love the GX9. I contemplating selling it and buying a BMPCC4k, but... Well the BMPCC is HUGE. The GX9 is the -perfect- size for me with what I do. But... the whole MFT conundrum. If I move to a full frame camera, it's going to be bigger. If I throw a speedbooster on the GX9, it's another grand that could go towards a BMPCC or full frame camera. If I go the speedbooster route, which mount? If I go the BMPCC, do I just go the 6k and sell the MFT gear off? Do I just sell the autofocusing MFT lenses and buy a manual equivalent, such as the Voightlander F0.95 25mm? Argh!

20. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Colour profile update:

After extensive online research (comprising of finding dozens of people compaining how difficult my display was to calibrate, and one single blog entry stating how easy it was with an X-rite calibrator) I bought a calibrator and stuck it on the display today. Managed to work my around poor documentation and an unintuitive interface and got the display calibrated, and now every image viewing and editing software shows the same (slightly oversaturated) image.

Problem solved.